Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

During the game one of the PCs (A man from the deep south with a Big Guy style powered armor) was taking sugestions for his super hero name (having just finished his powered armor in the last session) and there were suggestions all around then my wife breaks in with a southern drawl "but those names aren't redneck enough."

It took about 3 minutes for any of us to say anything.

"I made my INT roll' date=' and I've decided to do it anyway." dw[/quote']I read over 50 pages of this thread and I still like the very 1st one.

I recall doing this repeatedly with a character in a white wolf Adventure! campaign I played a year or so ago.

Just week before last my character did something he knew at the time was a bad idea, but did it anyway...and even though there was a good, perfectly valid reason for doing it...he also knew that reason was, in the end, just an excuse he used for doing something he was going to do anyway, being well aware it was a bad idea.

It was one of those times where the character surprises you a bit, but (knowing some things that have been going on for the character) it ends up making perfect sense.

The GM gave me a bonus for going through with the "bad idea" because she thought it was perfectly in character, given some events in the recent past...and I did it without any prompting or suggestions from her.

And I didn't even have to make an INT roll to know it was a bad idea... ;)

Just week before last my character did something he knew at the time was a bad idea' date=' but did it anyway...and even though there was a good, perfectly valid reason for doing it...he also knew that reason was, in the end, just an excuse he used for doing something he was [i']going[/i] to do anyway, being well aware it was a bad idea.

It was one of those times where the character surprises you a bit, but (knowing some things that have been going on for the character) it ends up making perfect sense.

Whoa, deja vu. About three weeks ago in an Aberrant game I'm in, I did the same thing -- my character reached over and cold-cocked another party member right in the middle of a conversation. Our characters still aren't speaking to each other, and it almost destroyed teamwork at a critical juncture. Also, it's not normally my guy's style.

And yet, at the time, given where everybody's head was at that moment, it just seemed to make perfect sense even though I *knew*, before I even did it, that the fallout for this would be falling out for months.

(add) Oh, and there's a quote attached to it as well. Doing from memory...

Quetzalcoatl -- 'Did the possibility ever occur to you that I might *not* have been guilty?'

Aral -- 'I struck you and you are still alive. Does this answer your question?'

Scene: Avalon (a Faerie Knight, presently with 10 levels of Growth active), has just been thrown, by me, onto Ankylosaur, while another teammate is trying to set up a shot to EMP Ankylosaur.

GM (to Avalon): "And you are ... on top of him."

Me: "Well, since it's through two layers of armor, that should qualify as safe sex."

"He's not brain dead, he's electroencephalographically challenged."

Avalon: "Ankylosaur has Vulnerability: Giant Fists."

Me: "Then again, who doesn't?"

More than a quote, but ...

At the fight's finale, I had knocked a fully-shrunken Hornet far away from the fight while blinding and deafening him. With the other villains down, I suddenly had a brilliant idea.

"Hey, Flux ... turn invisible and prop Black Harlequin up. Everybody else, lie down and pretend to be unconscious. If Hornet comes back, we'll jump on him."

GM rolls a 17 on Hornet's perception check to notice that we're all faking.

*WHAM*

:D

Think I have a couple. From today's session.

We are traveling through the very, very, VERY upper fringes of the Underdark, because we have been teleported by one of the minions of the first vampire (she was too busy to do it herself, long story) there.

The thing is...... we have been here before. So, all is going dandy and fine, until we get to the maze of caves that lies between us and our destination. Last time, we got found by a fairy named Holly (a straight rip from the Artemis Fowl universe, including the LEP force etc, good books).

Anyway, we know we can't find our way ourselves, but we have no way of contacting her. At first I have a really stupid idea, so I decide that we should try the tunnels ourselves. We manage to (luckily) find our way back to where we started, because I finally admitted myself that that was just the WORST idea. The GM told me afterwards that we were seconds from handing over our character sheets.

So, I finally decide to use my idea. We setup in a defensive ring, and I stand in the middle, an Arab martial artist dressed like the Magi from "The Mummy," banging pots together and shouting "HOLLY! LEP PATROL?!"

First thing that shows up after an hour or so are two giant spiders. They see too many bodies for their comfort, so they scurry up. Eventually, after being shadowed by a LEP patrol (I tried talking to them while they were invisible, the disciplined chaps didn't give it up, so I just cooked a meal and waited) Holly shows up. Apparently we had woken her up.

"What did I ever do to you people to deserve this?"

Later after we ask her to lead us through again, she asks "What's in it for me?"

Me: "Well, we'll stop banging pots and shouting your name."

Holly: "What makes you think we can't take care of that ourselves?"

Me: "Don't take our pots!!!" (trying to lighten the situation)

Later, as we are starting off, I ask her "In the HIGHLY unlikely event that we end up in this situation again........ what should we do that would cause you the least hassle? Wait, scratch that. What should we do that would be of the least bother to you AND would allow us to survive?" Holly sighs and says "Regulations require me to tell me that, technically, you have done the proper thing by requesting the assitance of the Lower Elements Police to help you in reaching your destination when you were in need of assitance. NOW GO TO HELL!"

After that..... dealing with a part incubus who's daughter we had kidnapped and had subsequently lost to a planeswalking 15 year old once she had been drained into an old lady by a wight......... was almost a cakewalk.

Almost.

I ran a character for several yuears who came from a very rural upbringing, and had been told dozens of legends at his granny's knee. As a result, he always had some bit of folklore about whatever we happened to be encountering.

Of course, sometimes folklore is correct and sometimes it is not. As the more experienced player in the group, others tended to listen to these "treasures" because "Hugh must know the rule". Fortunately, that didn't last long. Two goodies from that character:

"A pixie! Let's sew his wings together, tie a string around his ears and make him take us to his pot of gold!!"

[Attacking the creature that the player has just recognized as an Umber Hulk, and asked "How, specifically, are you attacking"] "Screaming the Clan War Cry and looking the beast straight in his four eyes, as is proper to show him that a Kintyre fears nothing and no one." Frankly, I thought the DM quite generous in that he still let me have a saving throw from that gaze weapon [but I promptly rolled a 2 anyway]

This is from a sci-fi space opera campaign I ran, that just came to a close a few weeks ago. The orginal premise was that the PCs would escape from a prison ship in the first session and then become space pirates, but since I wanted to give the PCs a lot of freedom in deciding the course of the game, they turned out to be more like freelance mercenaries than pirates.

The campaign lasted about a year, and this happend after about 9 months. The PCs have just finished a particularly long mission and are looking for work. Some of them start talking about maybe getting a letter of mark to do some privateering.

Player A: "I couldn't do that. If we're going to turn into a bunch of pirates, my character will strike out on his own and I'll just have to quite the game or make a new character or something. It's against everything he believes in."

Me: Stunned Silence.

Player B: "Um... Player A, the GM originally pitched this to us as a game about being space pirates."

Player A: "Yeah, I know, but I forgot about that when I made my character."

Now I look back on that and laugh, but I swear, at the time it was like he smacked me in the head with an axe.

Oh geez, how could I forget this one ...

Flux (a vague pastiche of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect, complete with a towel with a variety of powers) spots Riptide outside the warehouse.

Flux: I've got this one. *towelsnap*

War Wolf: She's all yours, Flux. Mop the floor with her.

*rimshot*

To the driver of a hired limo:

"Give my compliments to your employers...they really spare no expense to include everything. I mean -- your company is the first one who thought to include a thug waiting in ambush inside my limo! You don't by any chance have one that comes standard with a toxic waste elemental in the trunk, do you?"

The group goes downstairs and discovers an unspeakable tenticle horror in the room. The horror does not yet discover that the characters are there.

PlayerA: I'm looking around for runes or magical barriers (in character) "There must be some reason why this creature can't leave this place."

PlayerB (in character): "It's complicated, but I think I figured it out. Creature." (makes a hand motion for 4 to 6 inches) "Doorway." (makes a hand motion for one inch)

I was busting out laughing, I tried to continue.

Me (bluffing): "Well, the walls are constructed in a way to prevent the creature from escaping."

PlayerB: "Again, Creature.... Doorway." (repeating the hand motion)

I busted out laughing again. Really, I wasn't thinking in terms of an extra-dimensional horror that could simply teleport away or break down the walls.

Me: "The corners are rounded which because it is an extra-dimensional horror prevent it from escaping the confines of the room."

This was completely out of character, but the timing was beautiful.

Player 1: "We wanted to put a doggie door in, so we bought a recombinant* saw. Now, I'm just LOOKING for excuses to use it."

Player 2: "HEY, GWEN!!"

*I can't remember if that was the word he said or not. It's what my memory is telling me, but I have no idea if it's correct.

Champions game, the heroes have just disabled a honkin' big bomb and beaten up a lot of bad guys when the PRIMUS response team arrives to help clean up. The leader of the PRIMUS team is a guy called "Doc Grond" who will hopefully end up in DH. ;) Kid Wonder, the secret VIPER plot to sway the youth of America gone awry, has just used his transmutation powers on the bomb, Tectonik and Array (Team leader) are near by...

Doc Grond: Looks like you all did good work here, I guess we'll just help you get the villains into custody. Um....what's that leaking out of the bomb?

Kid Wonder: Fudge.

Array: That used to be the Semtex.

Tektonic: We were going to turn the nerve agent into helium, but we got distracted by those guys. *points to pile of unconscious bad guys*

Doc Grond: I...see.

Yeah, Rocky was played by Fireg0lem, who also happens to be the helpful Player B in my quote above.

It sounds like a silly idea to use the "monster" from the Rocky Horror Picture Show as a big dumb brick in space pirate game, but he was actually one of the more enjoyable characters from that game. Even if he did end up unbalancing the game fairly badly, through no fault of Fireg0lem's.

He had a habit of leaping into clusters of enemies and detonating grenades, without taking them out of the bandolier on his chest. We almost had to change his name to Captain Collateral Damage

Came up with a lot of fun quotes too.

"Excessive force is never enough"

has becom an often repeated slogan in our group

Dr. Zaius, looking over test results: "Well son, you are what we call a Frank, which means..."

Rocky: "My name is Rocky, not Frank."

Dr. Zaius: "Nice to meet you, son, I'll talk slower."

"Hello, my name is Rocky, but it is also Frank."

"Dr. Zaius says that I have a special power called 'Brain Damage'"

"Yes, Rocky has object permanence"

And who can forget his battle cry of...

"Koala!"

Fireg0lem, Onyxclaw, and Roy the Ruthless all played in that game, and their characters ended up forming a rock band. There must have been some good quotes involved in that. Onyxclaw, do you remember any of your song titles?

Fireg0lem, Onyxclaw, and Roy the Ruthless all played in that game, and their characters ended up forming a rock band. There must have been some good quotes involved in that. Onyxclaw, do you remember any of your song titles?

Hmm, I'd have to think about it awhile. I do remember that Fireg0lem destroyed my pots learning how to play the drums. And they were nice shiney pots I got for free from the mess hall.

hehe, that was all good times. I had a lot of fun with that game and that character.

Zod: ok, you see the director, roll perception

Onyx: Make it

Zod: He's holding the camera

Onyx: *gleefully* I pounce him

Zod: he tries to get away

Onyx: ok, I chase him down and pounce him

Zod: ok roll presence attack

Onyx: okies......76

Zod: you smell urine

^^ nothing like an enormous angry dragon chasing you down and tacking your shiney black camera away. Although he did offer to give us a record deal and a show when he found out I could sing ;)