Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Well' date=' if they're in their 30s I would think they wouldn't. I am 42 and the Smothers Brothers were only really popular in my quite early youth - early enough many of the jokes were over my head and I barely remember anything about them (but I do remember "Mom loved you best!" and I had a Smothers Brothers comedy album, or, rather, my mother did). By the mid-70s they weren't really that popular and never attained the status they had despite several attemps. Then again, they really were one of those cases of breaking from the hip crowd into the mainstream and then, as a consequence, never quite fitting into either comfortably again, unfortunately[/quote']

My family watched their second Variety show in the 80's We loved it. Apparently I am easily amused :D

My family watched the the Smothers Brothers in the '80's, too. It wasn't bad.

But, frankly, I'd heard the "Mom always liked you best!" line dozens of times in other contexts, long before I'd ever heard of the Smothers Brothers, so I agree that it's weird to encounter someone who wasn't at least familiar with the phrase. I'm pretty sure it's come up in at least two Far Side cartoons, for instance.

From my Exalted game tonight.

Asked to a Twilight Exalt artificer.

"You've just given birth to an essence cannon. How do you feel?"

"Manly"

Later in the same session.

GM describes the oncoming flying creature as a Chinese style dragon with the head of a bear.

Said by me, "It's an air bear!"

Various dirty looks immediately ensue. Also various take offs on the Care Bears begin.

I couldn't resist.

Nathan's brows furrowed involuntarily as he thought about what Clarke had just said.

"Alrighty! So, doesn't anyone else see what's up? It's a new power source. New, which means not many people know about it yet, right? It hasn't even got a patent on it, right? You guys thinking what I'm thinking?" he said.

"Hippos look silly in tutus," said Clarke.

CES

Some lines I wrote down from Robert's "Neon Labyrinth" game (White Wolf done via HERO).

OOC: "You're cleaner than most shih (Demon Hunters) I've met."

GM to player: "Use the HERO dice. That's what I've been using, and look where your character is now."

GM (playing a wraith running a noodle shop): "Welcome honored guests. Service is our motto."

PC discovers said wraith has hacked the previous owners into bits and may be using them in the noodles...

GM: "You didn't like your noodles?"

PC: "I Don't care for long pork."

GM: "These guys (members of the Beast Courts) aren't vampires."

OOC: "They have more taste."

PC: "Can I abort to shooting?"

NPC assesses two PCs: "Reality deviants that must be destroyed."

The group have just trashed a villans money laundering operation and people are just starting to wonder how to hide the evidence (those in power told them to lay low and NOT do anything).

"we blame demons, not drokar though, the uncivilised ones"

At the time Drokar (a half demon) was gnawing on someones arm.

Line's from today's Pulp game:

SatinKitty, aka Kate Venture: "We can't let her destroy the Earth! Everyone I know is on the Earth! All my stuff is there!"

Dr. Wu to Flora of the Tree People: "Queen Alura is evil! She has much wooden furniiture."

Dr. Wu: "Why do women always want to throw me in prison?"

Kate Venture to a Tree Man guard: "Please let me out. I need to use the privy."

And from last night's "Aberrant" session:

The group, after having trekked across the frozen wasteland, has reached the ice palace of the infamous Winter King. After ringing the gong several times, and receiving no answer...

Aral (deadpan) -- "Perhaps he's at his summer palace."

Another blast from the past ... like, ten years ago. Wow, I have a weird memory. :)

I've forgotten most of the plotline, but the basic layout was that our Hero team had swiped a magical book from the mystical villain and he had managed to find us, and was demanding it back in bombastic manner, while we were lipping off.

Wizard: "That's it, no more jokes. I WANT THE ****ING BOOK!"

Crasher (not me, sadly): "Oh, you want the Kama Sutra!"

A few gems from a friend's game last night:

- I'm not afraid of your librarian bullets.

- You'll have to learn to curse with a Mexican Chiropractor-ish accent.

- "Do you think the gods will be pleased (with the blood on their altar)?" "Of course. It's French."

Don't ask me to explain. Suffice it to say it's an alternate-history, pulp miniatures campaign and leave it at that.

From last night's UNITY Prime session, which I DM:

-----------

*While the team is at a press conference, Astroman picks up a vague indicator from his Danger Sense*

Astroman -- *I've got a bad feeling...*

Rand Valor -- "Oh, look, if something happens, something happens, we'll just make it wish it didn't if it does. Until then, enjoy being admired."

-----------

*First question at the press conference!*

Reporter -- "Jason Bernstein, New York Times. Mr. Secretary-Marshall, could you please tell me..."

(he fades to a stop and looks up at the sudden shadow falling)

"... why the sun is going out?"

-----------

*NPCs snark at each other! Specifically, POTUS dressing down the CIA director.*

President Westfield -- "Director, if it hasn't occured to you yet that /we/ are the obvious first suspects here, I strongly suggest you drink more coffee before coming to work."

-----------

*The team plots grand strategy!*

Rand Valor -- "First, we end the current mess. Then, we take a moment to smile about doing so. Then, we figure out who was behind it. Then, we kick their heads in."

-----------

*A new supervillainess is revealed!*

Jack Frost -- "Wow, a supervillainess that has never yet tried to kill me. I am amazed, I didn't think there were any."

-----------

"Whats wrong with bondage and hair?"

a pc with regards to the apearance of a villan....

:D Now if it was regarding the appearance of a hero, there might be issues.

bigdamnhero

“Having great purpose isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've had great purpose and I've had no purpose. And I have to say, no purpose is a lot easier. Expectations are low. People don't ask you for anything. Count your blessings.”

In last night's BUFFY game, the Slayer character started interviewing one of the local vampires for info, and he took her outside to do a little necking. Two of the other PCs, thinking he was doing a necking of a different type, wanted to intervene. Johnny, the Demon Hunter, snuck up with his face hooded and carrying his trusty battle axe. The Slayer caught sight of him over the vampire's shoulder, which meant the vampire noticed too. So he spun around and asked "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Johnny just kind of looked at his axe and said, "Uh, don't worry, I'm just a lumberjack."

And Paul (Johnny's own father out-of-character) said "And he's OK."

jg

I was running my Zombie Apocalypse game, with several long-time friends.

The three PC's and one NPC are on the top of a sporting goods store that they and their survivor group has been holed up in for a couple of days, as they prep to leave L.A.

The three PC's are Jordan, a gorgeous LAPD "kiddie cop" (think of Eliza Dushku in the LAPD uniform. Now youre on track), Eric, a recently-graduated high-school athletic star who was about to turn pro before the world ended (looks like Tom Welling), and Gabriel, a six foot ten EMT ambulance driver (who looks like Abraham Benrubi). The NPC with them is most often referred to as "Conspiracy Man", and goes only by the name of Ed. Despite a few comments about the "alien overlords" and the "flouride mind-control policy", they nevertheless gave Ed a rifle, as they had just raided a pawn shop, and his oddly useful skill-set was instrumental in their success. (They suspect he is ex military, and has seen too much).

The group has recently discovered that there are a few more survivors trapped on the fourht floor of a building about a block away from their own hideout. The people trapped in the office building have smashed out a window and hung a sign out of it written on a drape that says "Help Us".

As the characters are deciding what to do next, the sounds of gunfire erupt from a rooftop a few buildings away. The characters look around, and realize that it is coming from four gang-banger types who are taking shots at the "Help Us" sign, and the people behind it. (These are people with the same mentality as those who were shooting at police, ambulances, and fire fighters during the L.A.riots).

Jordan, the cop, is the first to spot the perps. She aims her rifle at them. The others follow suit. I tell them that one is shooting, another has a rifle also, and there are two others with pistols besides. They look like they are in their early twenties, of mixed ethnicity, and are wearing loose clothes with alot of sports team endorsements. Jordan makes a Perception roll and recognizes them as wearing local gang colors.

Ed: Firing order?

Jordan: Im taking down the shooter.

Ed: Ill take the other one who has a rifle.

Eric and Gabriel's Players both indicate they are also going to fire. I ask them to pick targets. And then...

Gabriel's Player: Ill shoot whichever one has the most underwear showing.

After we all finally stopped laughing, Garbiel then proceeded to randomly hit the unlucky s.o.b. in Location 13. For near-max damag,e and maximum Stun.

I guess Gabriel -really- didnt want to see that guys underwear!

(Edit: If this post accidentally offends anyone out there who habitually "busts a sag"... TOUGH! Pull your gorram pants up!)

I was running my Zombie Apocalypse game, with several long-time friends.

The three PC's and one NPC are on the top of a sporting goods store that they and their survivor group has been holed up in for a couple of days, as they prep to leave L.A.

The three PC's are Jordan, a gorgeous LAPD "kiddie cop" (think of Eliza Dushku in the LAPD uniform. Now youre on track), Eric, a recently-graduated high-school athletic star who was about to turn pro before the world ended (looks like Tom Welling), and Gabriel, a six foot ten EMT ambulance driver (who looks like Abraham Benrubi). The NPC with them is most often referred to as "Conspiracy Man", and goes only by the name of Ed. Despite a few comments about the "alien overlords" and the "flouride mind-control policy", they nevertheless gave Ed a rifle, as they had just raided a pawn shop, and his oddly useful skill-set was instrumental in their success. (They suspect he is ex military, and has seen too much).

The group has recently discovered that there are a few more survivors trapped on the fourht floor of a building about a block away from their own hideout. The people trapped in the office building have smashed out a window and hung a sign out of it written on a drape that says "Help Us".

As the characters are deciding what to do next, the sounds of gunfire erupt from a rooftop a few buildings away. The characters look around, and realize that it is coming from four gang-banger types who are taking shots at the "Help Us" sign, and the people behind it. (These are people with the same mentality as those who were shooting at police, ambulances, and fire fighters during the L.A.riots).

Jordan, the cop, is the first to spot the perps. She aims her rifle at them. The others follow suit. I tell them that one is shooting, another has a rifle also, and there are two others with pistols besides. They look like they are in their early twenties, of mixed ethnicity, and are wearing loose clothes with alot of sports team endorsements. Jordan makes a Perception roll and recognizes them as wearing local gang colors.

Ed: Firing order?

Jordan: Im taking down the shooter.

Ed: Ill take the other one who has a rifle.

Eric and Gabriel's Players both indicate they are also going to fire. I ask them to pick targets. And then...

Gabriel's Player: Ill shoot whichever one has the most underwear showing.

After we all finally stopped laughing, Garbiel then proceeded to randomly hit the unlucky s.o.b. in Location 13. For near-max damag,e and maximum Stun.

I guess Gabriel -really- didnt want to see that guys underwear!

(Edit: If this post accidentally offends anyone out there who habitually "busts a sag"... TOUGH! Pull your gorram pants up!)

Damnit DUDE!!!

I hate owing rep! :D

From last weeks D&D game . . .

GM Recap: “And Nyther was all ‘Oh, my hair is getting singed! Also, my flesh is charring.’â€

Much later: “Are there any bookcases here that look like they’d be good for throwing in lava?â€

---

Italics indicate a mocking/girly voice, for the record