Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

My Saturday Super hero game just started over this week. The players all brought me new characters. Chris, one of the players in my group brought me a Paraplegic shrinker.

I think I took the best quote, when I ask

"How does you character (The paraplegic) use his Martial Arts?"

After a series of battles and getting lost in a) a swamp and B) an underground tomb, our GM had determined that our characters' clothing had pretty much ceased to be functional. So we went shopping upon our return. As we approach the first shop I mention what I am looking for and lamenting it will cost more for me. (I am playing an Ogrun in IK and Sturm is 8'7'' and 540 lbs.)

GM: "Well you could wear what you've got but it doesn't cover much."

Me: "No, I should get clothes. I dont want to scare anyone."

GM: "Scare? No, recieve rude offers? Maybe."

... Ok' date=' I just [i']need[/i] to know context with this one. Sounds either very evil or very silly.

Okay, it was a rather complicated situation, but I'll try to explain as briefly and as simply as possible.

The team of which Dr. Anomaly is a member encountered a person who was a time traveler who said he was "stuck" -- he couldn't get a "lock" on his "home" time anymore, and he feared that meant his future no longer existed; he said he'd consulted many experts on time travel but none of them could help. The team member who encountered him suggested that he trying talking to Dr. Anomaly who, as a scientist and a mage, might be able to bring to bear abilities (or combinations of abilities) that other experts couldn't, and what did it hurt to try?

In the investigation and discussion with "Mark" (the time traveler) that followed, we discovered that as far as the universe was concerned, he simply didn't exist...no instrument could detect him, magic (and magical beings) couldn't interact with him or see him, even though he could physically interact with his surroundings, the laws of physics and magic, when applied from outside himself, didn't "stick." He was a powerful psionic, and we figured out that he didn't exist, not really...and the only reason he seemed to exist was that his own incredible force of will could make the universe interact with him, if he forced the issue, but outside forces couldn't.

It was eventually determined that the reason he couldn't get a "lock" on his home time was that he wasn't from this universe, or any alternate timeline or parallel universe...but from the universe that would come into being after our own eventually ceased to exist, many tens of billions of years hence. The reason our universe didn't "acknowledge" is presence was because at a very fundamental level, he didn't match up with the fundamental constants, etc. that had stabilized in the first few microseconds after our Big Bang. What was worse, though, was that a bit more thinking, theorizing, etc. led to the realization that he was, in essence, a man-sized bubble of quantum state zero...no quantum signature at all. This is an inherently unstable state, and if something happened to destabilize him...the collapse of the "bubble" that he represented could tear a very large hole in this universe. It was decided we needed to "weave him in" to this universe, and quick, before something happened to destabilize him.

We decided to do this by using nanobots to "swap in" matter of our universe in place of the 'matter' making up his body...carbon atom for carbon atom, oxygen atom for oxygen atom, etc. Theoretically, when we were finished, he would exist because he'd be made up of "stuff" from this universe, and the danger would be averted. This was all complicated by the fact that he was a very advanced, genetically-engineered person, with his own live-in colony of nanobots (for wound repair, etc.), much more advanced than those to which we had access, that tests showed would combat (and easily destroy) the "invading" nanobots we needed to use.

Eventually we came up with a way to do it, and started the process of replacement. In so doing, however, that made the possibility of him becoming destabilized a lot greater...which led to our universe, at least in the immediate vicinity, starting to have a "quantum fizz" in the timeline, as the future...or even the existence of a future, miliseconds ahead of the current moment...became very uncertain. The main way this manifested, at least as far as the characters were concered, as a sort of burning/itching in our heads as reality was starting to come apart. Dr. Anomaly, probably because of his INT of 40, was hit especially hard by this and was having a difficult time holding his concentration on the procedure.

The last major hurdle came when the matter in all of "Mark's" body except his head had been successfully swapped for "local" atoms; the problem there was that "Mark", as a very powerful psion, still had his self-conception rooted in where he did (will? would?) come from, and that was preventing us from being able to swap out the atoms that made up his head/brain.

One of our team, Scarab, is a multiformer themed on the Egyptian pantheon, and changed to its Anubis form, because among other things the Anubis form is a mentalist, and was going to try and pry "Mark's" psionic focus into the here-and-now. Despite the urgent need to try and scratch the itch inside his head, Dr. Anomaly realized that given the power of "Mark's" mind, that was almost certain to fail...but there was a sure-fire way to grab "Mark's" attention, and really focus it on the here-and-now, and make him want to be here, in this universe, and not in a place that didn't yet exist. Dr. Anomaly yelled "No, not Anubis! We need Hathor, and now!"

(Hathor has been short-hand described, in a Stargate episode, as the Egyptian equivalent of the Goddess of Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll. Scarab's Hathor form, among other things, has a 30 PRE, 30 COM...with +30 PRE, Only vs. Men, and +30 COM, only vs. Men. :eek: )

Anubis immediately changed, manifested as Hathor, in all her glory...and completely sans clothing of any sort. It grabbed "Mark's" attention, alright, focused him well-nigh instantly on the here-and-now, and in the next few seconds the replacement process was able to be completed successfully.

The "I'm glad my brain is itching" repeated phrase came from Dr. Anomaly, who unfortunately happened to be looking at Anubis when he called for Hathor, which meant he was looking at the all-too-naked Hathor who manifested a moment later. Now, Dr. Anomaly has nothing against good-looking women, even naked ones. The problem here is that Hathor is an aspect of a team-mate of his, he has no desire for any kind of "complications", and seeing Hathor that way, very deliberately exerting her influence-on-men to the fullest extent (on emergancy overload, you might say), gave him all kinds of thoughts that, for his own peace of mind and team harmony, he shouldn't be having, and desperately did not want to have, regardless of what his body's reaction said!

So, to try and drive that image out of his head, instead of fighting the terrible itching inside his skull, Dr. Anomaly focused on it, embraced it, tried to use it (unsuccessfully) to scour the image of Hathor from his mind, and was repeating the "I'm glad my brain is itching" almost like a mantra to help him focus on the itch rather than on Hathor.

A few seconds later, when the process was completed, the horrible itch went away as the "quantum fizz" in the timeline died down, as there was no longer a chance of a quantum collapse...and Hathor mercifully manifested some clothing and "turned down the wattage" on her PRE & COM.

So there you have it. I'm sorry it was that long, but that really is the shortest I felt I could give the context and have it make sense. (Then again, I never have been very good at condensing things when I write.)

Thank you' date=' Anomoly! That was a fine read![/quote']

You're welcome, and thank you. :)

I just remembered another good line from that same game session:

Since Sentinel couldn't see/detect "Mark" while Sentinel was suited up in his power armor, he served as our "we'll know if it's working / where the problem areas are" detector during the replacement process; in other words, if he could see "Mark" (or bits of "Mark") appearing, that would mean the replacement process was working. Anyway, about half way through the process, Sentinel remarked:

"You know, if it wasn't for the fact that all of existence might end at any second, watching a human body being built up, layer by layer, from the inside out would be really interesting."

Let's see - again, not this week, but nice quotes..

D&D, 3rd Edition. I'm playing a Elven Ranger/Rogue with a serious Batman "Always-Prepared, Borderline Sociopath" vibe.

We're commissioned by a country to ride along with a shipment to their northern colonies - it seems an Abyssal Dire Shark has been sinking the supply ships - and if this last batch doesn't get through before the winter freeze, all is lost.

My character being who he is, he spends most of his time in the Crow's nest, on lookout. He has a massive bonus to Spot checks, so it's no surprise that he is the first to spot the shark. He slides down to the deck, to comment to his compatriots : "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

I just couldn't resist!

---------------------------------------------------

One of the characters I play from time to time is Victor. Victor is a Swashbuckler and Wizard (Fire Elementalism) in a friend's homebrewed system. (http://www.greylotus.org - Shameless plug!) Victor is very, very smart. Victor pretends to be a very, very dim fop. Victor also like to tie a cloth with two eyeholes over his face and buckle swashes as 'the Crimson Mask' - but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, he gets some good lines now and then. Once, we were commissioned to rescue a Dragon from an evil Princess who'd imprisoned him in a dungeon. I piped in with "Oh, that's preposterous. Whoever heard of combining dungeons with dragons?"

I know, I know. My favorite line I've delivered through him is probably the following :

We were on a little island north of the main continent. We were after 'the Water Crest' - a mystical artifact we needed, that lay within the volcanic tubes that undermined the island. We found the artifact - and it's magic was holding the lava at bay. So we grabbed it and ran out very fast, as the lava - freed - began to move upwards.

We were having a conversation with the mayor-type of the Island, and I was assuring him everything was going smoothly, nothing to worry about, et cetera. The GM informs us that the island was shaking, and began to sink (somewhat) into the ocean - apparently the pressure of the lava had been holding up the very tall island, and as the lava roiled out to meet the sea, there was a corresponding drop in height.

I sort of cleared my throat nervously, and added to the mayor : "Well, some settling may occur."

If you have young girls around (not like that, you sick-os!) you know that every young girl want to be a princess. Thank you Disney. So this is from my beautiful and innocent niece...

"I want to be a Princess Chef!"

"Umm, ok so you want to be a cook for a princess?"

"Oh no, I want to cook princesses... for Dragons!"

Oh yea, subvert that dominant paradigm girl!

*Ahem*. This one obviously had to be "blipped", but still, it almost had me choking when it was said:

"Remember, Gravity is a harsh mistress."

"Yeah? A mistress? Where is she? I'd **** her!"

:hush: Man, I'd have to bite back a huge number of geek jokes about black holes here....

One campaign I ran was a Fantasy Hero campaign, where the bad guys were a theocratic interstellar empire who masked their hi-tech stuff under religious trappings. Among their hi-tech stuff were neural whips, blaster pistols, ten-pound high explosive charges, some mind reading, etc.

At one point the PCs had overcome enough bad guy soldiers to have accumulated a number of captured weapons and had armed themselves with them. They knew some of the things they needed to know to use them, but one thing they hadn't learned at this point was how to read the charge indicator on the blasters ... they couldn't read the "Charges remaining: X" readout.

So sneak-thief infiltrates into a temple-fortress which has had its underground works opened by an explosive charge. He nips through the passages easily, and succeeds in coming up behind a warrior-priest completely by surprise. Because the baddies have a spiffy armor kit, he doesn't think he has any way of taking out this guard quickly, so he sneaks up and puts the muzzle of his an inch behind the guard's head, and presses the firing stud.

There are no charges left in his blaster (I've been keeping track) so my response is, "The blaster goes 'click'."

"S**T!!" hisses the thief player.

"Funny, the guard recognizes that sound too, and he says the same thing."

"Remember, Gravity is a harsh mistress."

"Yeah? A mistress? Where is she? I'd **** her!"

:hush: Man' date=' I'd have to bite back a huge number of geek jokes about black holes here....[/quote']

And impacts from celestial bodies... :ugly:

Q: So what would happen if a male celestial body impacted the black hole of Gravitar?

A: There'd be a new Milky Way!

:eek:

:D

One campaign I ran was a Fantasy Hero campaign, where the bad guys were a theocratic interstellar empire who masked their hi-tech stuff under religious trappings. Among their hi-tech stuff were neural whips, blaster pistols, ten-pound high explosive charges, some mind reading, etc.

At one point the PCs had overcome enough bad guy soldiers to have accumulated a number of captured weapons and had armed themselves with them. They knew some of the things they needed to know to use them, but one thing they hadn't learned at this point was how to read the charge indicator on the blasters ... they couldn't read the "Charges remaining: X" readout.

So sneak-thief infiltrates into a temple-fortress which has had its underground works opened by an explosive charge. He nips through the passages easily, and succeeds in coming up behind a warrior-priest completely by surprise. Because the baddies have a spiffy armor kit, he doesn't think he has any way of taking out this guard quickly, so he sneaks up and puts the muzzle of his an inch behind the guard's head, and presses the firing stud.

There are no charges left in his blaster (I've been keeping track) so my response is, "The blaster goes 'click'."

"S**T!!" hisses the thief player.

"Funny, the guard recognizes that sound too, and he says the same thing."

Why did the guard curse? Because someone spooked him from behind?

"Well, if we've pieced the clues together right, we're pretty much doomed, I am now officially the second mightiest being I've ever encountered and I spent yesterday shoe shopping with the instrument of our destruction."

- Sturm the Ogrun.

After a bit of infighting and the suggestion; "20,000 credits split 3-ways is a lot more than 20,000 split five ways," one of the players adjusted the books...

"We play System 5th Edition, Hero is not involved."

:)

Nice :thumbup: Gotta remember that line.

Let's see, I couldn't quite decide if this belonged in my Cool Moments in RPG History thread, or this one, so I'll just put it here.

AD&D2.0. The world had been devastated by meteor shower. The humans and demihumans had gone underground, and the humanoid races like the Orcs had crawled out to the surface, taking the abandoned cities for their own.

My character was Garion, and Elven Wizard with a foul-temperament who loved to study monsters. He'd managed to accumulate quite a few odd, low-powered magical items in his time.

He and his dwarven compatriot were sent to one of the cities on a supply run, to see what they could gather. They stealthed amongst the orc patrols, visiting a few key buildings to recover items.

Unfortunately, luck wasn't going to let them have a free pass, and they heard Orcs coming down the hall towards their position, and there was no way out. So I thought for a moment, and was ready as the Orcs burst through the door.

I held my arms aloft and activated my 'Copper Bracelets'. For those unfamiliar, their power is that they glow a pale green. In my best booming voice, I shouted at the orcs, "FOOLS! Tremble before the might of my Bracelets of POWER!"

The Orcs critically fail a morale check. They bolt, and we escape, scot-free.

Oh, I've got lots more, they just keep percolating back to my brain.

I once played in the most high-powered RIFTs game ever - the acquisition of power was slow, but at the end, we were hunting Alien Intelligences for sport. Fun, in an over the top way. I made this comment, in regards to my character's power :

"I was bitten by a radioactive God."

This has become a catchphrase in the local group, for powerful characters. We also have the Ranma variant : "Fell into spring of drowned God."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I was playing the d6 DC Universe game, once upon a time, and the GM was running a 'Future Legion of Superheroes' campaign. I was in the role of Chlorophyll Kid II, but I was musing on some ideas for replacement characters, should I perish.

There were a lot of legacy types, despite our being tens of thousands of years in the future, so finally, I came up with :

"Magic-user, nebbishy descendant of a 20th century mystic. Neville Constantine, Heckblazer!"

Never got to make the character though. I'm still hopeful that someday I might.

Another one from my last session of Exalted.

For those who don't know, you make a roll of Charisma + Performance when you make a prayer to a god. The more successes the more likely it is you get some sort of assisstance from said diety.

We're competing an air race that's something like Cannonball Run II crossed with Autoduel. We need a clarification on some of the race's esoteric rules. My character makes his prayer and rolls 9 successes. The GM describes the arrival of the prayer at the god's palace like this.

SLAP!!! A golden glove smacks the god in the face as a voice goes, in the best English sergeant's accent, "Message for you, sahr. A reply is requested."