Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

I was going over the next post recap before I get to it and found three from the TG campaign.

CES

*Finally* though Hardball as he attempted to use

Lady Flame's declaration and attack to get in a cheap

shot on Black Mist *some hot, mage on mage action*,

"I know Kung Fu," said Black Mist,

Since Eric's powers only made women fall in love with him, he began running down the tunnel to get away from

the twelve inky monkeys

From yesterday's Pulp game:

"There's a perfectly rational explanation! I have no idea what it is, but there has to be one!"

"Hmm... maybe standing behind the skeleton that [another PC] is shooting at wasn't my best tactical decision ever."

GM: "What are you doing?"

Me: "I'm chatting up Simone (a French Femme Fatale PC), and she's trying to ignore me."

[simone player mimes blowing cigarette smoke in my face]

Player: "What's his name?"

GM: "Uh... [flip, flip] 'Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Module.'"

And last but not least...

"You see Ted Danson being held at knifepoint by two gummy bears." :nonp:

Explaining the context would only spoil it. ;)

bigdamnhero

“On my planet there is a saying -- the man who trusts can never be betrayed, only mistaken.”

“Life expectancy must be fairly short among your people.”

No contribution of mine to a quote thread would be complete without mentioning my pal Eric. Eric.. well, Eric has a typically monotone delivery and a talent for saying precisely the wrong thing at the wrong time.

(after generating a D&D type with high Will saves)

Eric : I'm the guy that mind-affecting stuff doesn't affect all that much.

(In regard to a past amusement)

Eric : I found it funny once. Well, maybe twice.

(Dismayed at his role in the party)

Eric : Great, I have to be the thinker of the group.

(One of his best ever)

Eric : Only a fool knows no fear. I only know a little fear tonight.

More to come...

All of us have experienced this at one time or another...

"There's no way he could fail this. He'd have to roll a one. ...Uh..." :nonp:

Last night's D&D3.5 game, the climactic battle, our battered, bruised, and exhausted party is facing off against an ancient Black Dragon. We've barely laid a glove on the thing -- spells are bouncing off it's armored hide, most of the party can't even hit the thing 'cause it's armor class is so high, and it's slowly but steadily hammering us into the mud.

Then one of our henchmen (a Kobald wild-mage), in an act of desperation, pulls out his Wand of Wonder. Usually when he does that, we all yell at him to put it away. This time, we're like, "Meh, what can it hurt?"

So he fires it off, rolls on the random chart, and gets a Flesh to Stone spell (which involves a Fortitude save, which the dragon can't possibly fail), thus eliciting our GM's ill-fated comment. An ancient black dragon with hit points in the mid-200 range, felled by a lowly Kobald. :lol:

All of us have experienced this at one time or another...

"There's no way he could fail this. He'd have to roll a one. ...Uh..." :nonp:

Last night's D&D3.5 game, the climactic battle, our battered, bruised, and exhausted party is facing off against an ancient Black Dragon. We've barely laid a glove on the thing -- spells are bouncing off it's armored hide, most of the party can't even hit the thing 'cause it's armor class is so high, and it's slowly but steadily hammering us into the mud.

Then one of our henchmen (a Kobald wild-mage), in an act of desperation, pulls out his Wand of Wonder. Usually when he does that, we all yell at him to put it away. This time, we're like, "Meh, what can it hurt?"

So he fires it off, rolls on the random chart, and gets a Flesh to Stone spell (which involves a Fortitude save, which the dragon can't possibly fail), thus eliciting our GM's ill-fated comment. An ancient black dragon with hit points in the mid-200 range, felled by a lowly Kobald. :lol:

The next time the Kobald asks to use the Wand of Wonder, you say "YES!"

:D

I got to use my Wand of Wonder last night...

What?

Our new cleric has been lecturing the party all throughout this dungeon we're in about the history and the architecture, everything. We're in the catacombs benieth the cathedral of his God. But he's only level one and if you've played the Iron Kingdoms game you know the cleric's life is a tougher one than in your normal D&D game. The first guy he healed basically exploded. So he's a little nervous about evoking his powers. Makes a turn against some undead and is feeling better. THis is when the nearly nonstop lecture begins. we come around the corner and DUN DUN DUh! More Undead!

Cleric puffs himself up, displays his symbol and cries "The POWER of MORROW Compells Thee!"

...nothing.

My Ogrun Fighter turns and says: "Perhaps you could tell them the stories you just told us? That might make them run away."

Cleric was unpleased.

In my last game a player, Deborah, could not make it but her boyfriend, Richard, pulled double duty and managed her character sheet. All goes well until the characters are forced to fight The Crowns of Krim and the Dark Enchantress (a magic user native to my campaign world). The PC's have an item that they want to keep away from the Crowns and the Enchantress. The fight is one sided with the Crowns laying waste to the players. Richard has his Girlfriends character, Ivy (mainly a Gambit rip) run out of the house (or what is left of it) that the battle is taking place and start to run away, he then changes his mind and has her go around to the front where Dark Seraph is dispatching two heroes that tried to get away with The Dagger of Qingu. The players get beat down and the dagger goes flying. Ivy picks up the dagger and starts to hightail it out of there but she is not able to shake the villians so Ivy attempts to charge up the dagger and destroy it. When everyone wakes up there is a smoking crater where Ivy had been.

Richard: "Deborah is going to kill me isn't she?"

Me: "I hope you like sleeping on the couch."

Richard: "Deborah is going to kill me isn't she?"

Me: "I hope you like sleeping on the couch."

I would call this going out heroically though. Or Ivy could have just caused a rift, that forced her into an alternate dimension. You can now make a story arc with the character's realizing this and having to try to get to her and rescue her. If there is no body, then she ain't dead.

I would call this going out heroically though. Or Ivy could have just caused a rift' date=' that forced her into an alternate dimension. You can now make a story arc with the character's realizing this and having to try to get to her and rescue her. If there is no body, then she ain't dead.[/quote']

Well that is what happened and now the characters are all in different dimensions trying to find her and the Dagger.

Of course, we are not certain about how Deborah will react to the news. Especially the fact that when she disappeared she also took a family of five with her.

Well that is what happened and now the characters are all in different dimensions trying to find her and the Dagger.

I did something like that... the PCs visited various alternate dimensions. Backwards World (they were villains), fantasy world, (their) future world... the best part was when they visited the Kazei 5 universe. Half the party was clueless and the other half was ready to kill me. :D

From my VIPER game on Hero Central:

Elwood: "Sorry about missing the meeting." Looking over the assembled agents with a questioning look on his face asks," Where's Donald?"

Scott: "He won't be joining us for this, or any other mission. If you saw them scrubbing out the conference room, that was Donald on the walls."

From my VIPER game on Hero Central:

Elwood: "Sorry about missing the meeting." Looking over the assembled agents with a questioning look on his face asks," Where's Donald?"

Scott: "He won't be joining us for this, or any other mission. If you saw them scrubbing out the conference room, that was Donald on the walls."

Whoo-hoo! I made it in! :)

Though to be completely accurate, the title of the post was intended as part of the response as well:

Elwood: "Sorry about missing the meeting." Looking over the assembled agents with a questioning look on his face asks, "Where's Donald?"

Scott: "He's made a mess of himself. He won't be joining us for this, or any other mission. If you saw them scrubbing out the conference room, that was Donald on the walls."

;)

More Eric Gems: (remember : read these in a mental monotone.)

Eric : I hate to be the voice of reason, but.. hey.

Eric : Ah, would this be literal death, or figurative death?

(The party has just encountered Phaerus, a 300 pound, 7 foot tall Demigod, clad in Adamant Full Plate, carrying a massive sword - and the party just saw him shoo some scantily clad women out of his house shortly before they arrived, so everyone's mind was already in the gutter when he said..)

Eric : (to Phaerus) Excuse me, can I ask you a small question about how you're equipped?

And one of my favorites :

Eric : (relating the tale of a battle the night before) I was the last one left standing .. and then the guy got me, too.

From my weekly hero game, LCotMU:

All the heroes come from an asylum, they've been

raised by the state and are slowly being reintegrated

and rehabilitated for society. :o

therefore, I told players to buy psych disads appropriately.

So on intro night, I went through everyone's disads,

and all were sufficently edgy. Until we get to the energy projector...

GM: What are your psych problems?

EP: Well I've got code against killing, and I'm commited to

truth, justice and the american way.

GM: Congratulations, you've been released from the asylum, fully healed.

Now make up a new character . . .

GM: What are your psych problems?

EP: Well I've got code against killing, and I'm commited to

truth, justice and the american way.

GM: Congratulations, you've been released from the asylum, fully healed.

Now make up a new character . . .

:lol:

Good one. Also a nice way of gently handling a player "unclear on the concept."

bigdamnhero

“This is for ladies only!â€

[unzips fly] “So is *this*, ma'am, but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.â€

Team F-up have defeated a bar full of vampire cops with the help of Madelyn the Third-From-Last Vampire Hunter. Odd thing is, it is common knowledge that Madelyn's grandfather killed the last vampire and the race was extinct.

Captian Mysterion asks where the curent infestation came from.

Madelyn: "I've traced the first missing cops to the impound lot. The only odd fact I found was that half a panel van was impounded the night of the first disappearance."

Capt. M: "Huh. We accidentally brought back half a van from that vampire dimension."

Madelyn: "And no one thought to check if the van was empty?"

OOG: There's a reason why we're not called "Team Sufficiently Competent".

And here's a few more from Eric's Monotone Theatre.

(funnier without context)

Eric : (excitedly) Yes! Finally, someone else plays a character with no external genitalia.

(speaking to the just-met King of the Goblins)

Eric : Excuse me, do you know where I could buy some poison in town?

Eric : That was perhaps the worst display of listening to me that I have ever seen.

(his Best. Ever.)

Eric : (dramatically) Then we shall show them what they can see.

Another AIM conversation, greatly trimed down and edited for excessive profanity, typos and long pauses that would otherwise ruin a perfectly funny dialogue. Oh, and it took a lot more effort to get too the punchline IRL, so I've trimed that fat too:

Ok, let’s say your running a DC/Marvel story, but set in the real world. So no made up cities like Gotham and Metropolis and stuff. Where do you place everyone?

::long discussion ensues::

Ok, so we put Bruce in Chicago. What about Nightwing? Where would you put him in a Bludhaven-less world?

Dude, Hell’s Kitchen! No contest. Bludhaven is Hell’s Kitchen on the "everything is bigger in DC" crack-scale.

You can’t put Nightwing in Hell’s Kitchen. That’s Daredevil’s turf!

Exactly. Fanboys need this! We must know who has the superior billy clubin skillz! Besides, after the requisite misunderstanding/brawl, you just know they’re gonna team up for a hardcore criminal beat downs… and probably some hardcore hottie hookups too.

You have a one track mind, you know that?

I have a two track mind: track one is all about the hotties. Track two is all about kicking ***. Right now, I got track one on repeat.

:rolls eyes:

Come on man, don’t be telling me you can’t see Matt and Dick getting into “a tap that ***†contest? They’re players dude! Personally, I give this one to Murdock. He’s got the pity angle! Chicks go crazy over that ****. Hell, Garner fell for Affleck and he was only pretending to be blind! You can’t tell me Starfire and Bab's aren’t gonna be all over that ****!

Ok, let’s skip the “romance†for now and focus on the rest of the story. So, what villains do you think need to be imported from Nightwings rogues gallery?

Well, Deathstroke is a must, so that we can have the inevitable Deathstroke and Bullseye team up. But really, I’m more concerned about the Hand.

Why’s that?

I’m channeling Batman: Begins here. The Hand would have to be lead by Ra’s Al Ghoul! And that right there is a great story waiting to happen. It could be the setup to the first meeting. The Hand is out to get Nightwing. Somhow Daredevil catches wind of it and, in the effort to warn Nightwing, the inevitable hero vs hero battle ensues! Of course, before a victor can be determined the Hand shows up and they are all like “Oh! Two for one hero special!†So of course the heroes have to team up or die under a hail of shuriken and poison darts and ****!

That’s a good setup, but why would the Hand want to kill Nightwing? Ra’s is more of a Batman villain, isn’t he?

Your missing the point. The Hand must try to assassinate Nightwing! It’s destiny man!

...explain...?

Man you're so thick. Everyone knows that whacking Dick is a Hand job

Another AIM conversation' date=' greatly trimed down and edited for excessive profanity, typos and long pauses that would otherwise ruin a perfectly funny dialogue. Oh, and it took a lot more effort to get too the punchline IRL, so I've trimed that fat too:[/quote']

*Looks for negative rep button.* Damn!