Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

*whimpers* Oh' date=' I am [i']so[/i] envious....

I slapped some ofuda on the wounds and sealed them. useful things, ofuda. And yes, Christopher Masakai Jones is pure death on wheels in that game. My body count is several kumo (spiders), two nezu (rat) assassins/ninja, three bakemono, and... two(?) gaki (hungry ghosts). And as a shih he has no money, so I keep swiping cash from my kills. This has lead to scenes of my renting a room at a love motel so I can get a bath and a few hours of sleep, stealing bottles of saki and jars of picked ginger from the back of a restaurant, and other equally whacked bits.

From Saturday's Champions game (this was TOTALLY unplanned between me and Shane, but it just WORKED):

Whisper: "Want to go beat up on each other in the Danger Room? Straight up martial-arts, no magic, no mental abilities."

Midnight: "You're going to hand me my a**. On the other hand, if we were playing chess, I could probably hand you yours."

Whisper: "I play chess, too."

Midnight: "And I suppose you have a perfect memory too!"

Whisper: "As it happens, yes."

*pause*

Midnight: "Call out moves?"

Whisper: "As we fight?"

Midnight: "Three seconds per chess move?"

Whisper: "You're on."

Midnight: *with a gleam in her eyes* "Touchstone, keep track of the moves we call out as we spar."

Touchstone: "Wha-?"

Off go Whisper and Midnight to the Danger Room with Touchstone. Vice (the base computer) pulls up a dojo (and a chessboard for Touchstone to use to keep track), and the two ninja start slugging it out, calling out chess moves.

(Both Shane and I actually started reciting chess moves - no idea if we were playing legit games, but it sounded good. The GM actually tells everyone else to shut up so he can watch this... I roll Midnight, Shane rolls Whisper... and Shane rolls something like an 11 on a Tactics 15- roll. I roll a 4.)

GM: "Midnight beats you in 12 moves."

Shane: "Wha-?"

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

From my Saturday Champions Game, Defenders of the Millennium...

The heroes were stopping a bank robbery. We had a new player last night, since he hasn't had time to create a character, I let him run Ironclad from the Champions.

Ironclad and Silverhawk, a Native American Archer with gadget arrows, enter the bank. Ironclad charges Cateran and engages her in combat, while Quicksilver fires a sight flash arrow at her. The power is 10d6 flash, area effect. As the arrow left the bow, Quicksilver said..

"Oh S###, Cover your eyes Ironclad!"

Ironclad turned just in time to see the bright light.....

Ironclad then said, "Thanks for the warning, jerk"

I slapped some ofuda on the wounds and sealed them. useful things' date=' [i']ofuda[/i]. And yes, Christopher Masakai Jones is pure death on wheels in that game. My body count is several kumo (spiders), two nezu (rat) assassins/ninja, three bakemono, and... two(?) gaki (hungry ghosts). And as a shih he has no money, so I keep swiping cash from my kills. This has lead to scenes of my renting a room at a love motel so I can get a bath and a few hours of sleep, stealing bottles of saki and jars of picked ginger from the back of a restaurant, and other equally whacked bits.

... I once ran a game of Demon Hunter X. Never got to play...And the shih are my favorite WW group, bar none. Your's sounds like a great game.

All from our Teen Champions campaign:

"Ewww...I've got monk all over me."

-----

Potential (gadgeteer): "...so when I was thinking about how we can make Tranquility [the monk] a bit better able to take a hit, it occured to me to create a spray-on polymer compound -- similiar to what's used in flak jackets, personal armor, and so on -- that we could use on his robes. It'd deflect most small-arms fire and some larger stuff, too."

Gestalt: "Are you telling me you're trying to make an actual Bulletproof Monk?"

Potential: "Well...yeah, I guess so..."

-----

"You got the monk a Dragonball Z t-shirt, didn't you?"

"Heck no! I've got better taste than that...it's Street Fighter!"

-----

"Did you know that you get into a lot of trouble if you use your mom's washing machine to refine uranium?"

-----

"Well, I'd call 'coughing up a lung' a significant side effect!"

-----

Twilight: "You realize you've just turned a supercomputer into the world's most expensive Post-It note."

-----

Twilight: "No, what I summon are damned souls. Just think of it as being like a prison work-release program, but they're not making license plates."

Potential: "That's good; after all, when you put zombies to work making license plates, they all come out reading 'Brainsss...' "

-----

From our Firefly campaign:

"Moving on from the orgasming slinky..."

(The ship was just joined by a psychic/mentally damaged teen (like River). He liked slinkys, which led to jokes about him using his brain to make a slinky sentient and using it as a familiar. One of the players then began his vocal impression of the tremendous joy a sentient slinky would feel while going down stairs...)

OOC from player to GM (on HeroCentral)

Gratz on the dating thing but I don't see why this should lessen your computer time. I mean, I don't know you at all basically, only the couple dozen posts we've made in a few games, but I think that's enough for me to be able to make judgment calls about your personal life, right? I thought so too.

Anywho, here we are, in a really great PBEM game that you're running so why not share the experience with your new significant other? (or potential SO or casual companion or whatever it is you kids have going) She could take over the Alissa character or maybe Emelda. Trust me, you can learn a lot about a person by how they roleplay (oh, it's all just a game but the warning signs WILL come out). And really, if she's not into this kind of thing, is it really going to work out? I think we all know the answer.

So, just something to think about. Why go out to dinner when you can stay home and type together? This article from The Onion described a similar kind of relationship a couple in World of Warcraft aspired to; I think its appeal is obvious. Have a look and I'm sure you'll agree.

Baby, You Mean The World Of Warcraft To Me

(In a Serenity campaign, though that's not all that relevant)

Annie (sharpshooter, located at warehouse where she's been in a fight, calling the ship, which is landed): "Come and get me. There's some stuff here we want to take, too."

Hopper (mechanic, one-legged amputee): "Will do. Where is this place?"

Annie: "You gonna bring the mule [ground vehicle]?"

Hopper: "I wasn't gonna walk."

The city park is on fire. Big G (a powerful telekinetic) is flying in Hydro-Electric and Shadow Wolf. The latter two will be useful for putting out the blaze, but will be fairly useless for crowd control.

Big G: "Can you guys check to see if there are any people, and take care of them if there are?"

SW & H-E: "No."

Big G: "...'Kay."

At my work' date=' we call that "The Russ Vortex". (My boss's name is Russ.)[/quote']

A couple of years ago, I chanced to overhear this bit of conversation between a couple of friends of mine:

"Why don't you ask Scott about xxxxxxx?"

"Because I don't want to know that much about it."

:o

In our last shadowrun session, we were hired to bodyguard a city councilman while a second team found his daughter, who was being held for ransom.

GM (As officious and snobby NPC): I'm not going to allow myself to be seen in public with this, this... riff-raff!

Mr. Smith (My character's partner): Are you Riff or Raff?

Mr. Jones (Me): Oh, I'm Raff, Riff couldn't make it.

Bonus points to the first person to correctly identify where we ripped that antique gag from.

Just got this one in my e-mail, in a sometimes PbEM I'm in. It made me laugh, and I think a lot of other GMs can relate.

"Whether you like it or not, I am involved in this. With or without your help."

She turned to storm out of the door...

----

CUT! CUT! CUT! Screams the Director.

WHAT WAS THAT! He storms over to the actress.

DID YOU EVEN READ THE SCRIPT?

Actress glares perturbed. There is no script, Guy. This is adlib.

WELL, DID YOU READ THE CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS?

So?

SO DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH OF A HEADACHE YOU ARE CAUSING IF YOU STORM OUT NOW? HOW MUCH EXTRA WORK YOU ARE MAKING FOR YOUR CHACTER!

But he looked at me funny.

WHEN?

::Shrug:: I don't remember when. he just did.

AND SO YOU ARE STORMING OUT?

Well, he said he didn't want to talk to me. And that I couldn't deal with this stuff.

::Lifted eyebrows::I DID NOT NOTICE HIM SAYING THAT.

Well, I did.

WELL, MAYBE IT WAS IN YOUR HEAD.

COME ON. A LOT OF WORK WENT INTO THIS AND YOU ARE ABOUT TO DUMP A GREAT CHARACTER BECAUSE YOU THINK HE LOOKED AT YOU FUNNY (THOUGH YOU CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN) AND YOU THINK HE INSULTED YOU (THOUGH NO ONE ELSE HEARD IT THAT WAY.)

GET BACK UP THERE AND GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT.

::sigh:: Okay. The actress turns around and walks back to the set.

A pause.

OKAY, EVERYONE! WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A RESHOOT. PLACES! PLACES!

CAMERA!

and

ACTION!

---------------------------------------------------------

This out of sync moment brought to you by 's overhyper imagination.

Stay tuned for the reshoot.

From my online Avengers game: Kolbrandr (an Asgardian) just blasted his enemy across the room, doing hideous amounts of damage. Peter Parker's daughter Arachne sees this:

Arachne watches Kolbrandr's graceful warrior form with wide eyes and winces as he effortlessly hurls his gigantic foe across the battlefield. .oO(OK, Mary,) she says to herself. .oO(You are definitely out of your league here. I think you need to go back to fighting bank robbers dressed like circus animals.)

:lol:

Another one from the Avengers Next game. The new Avengers are being questions by the press ... and the press is starting to ask some tough (even hostile) questions. Sorry about the length, but this one literally put chills up my spine. Kudos to Kolbrandr the Brave!

The question was in reference to the death of the Vision, which happened a few years previously:

"This is a question for Cinnabar," a reporter speaks out. "But I'd also like to throw it open to any and all the other new Avengers to hear their take on the matter. Cinnabar, your father's death was a terrible blow -- not just to you personally, but to the other heroes around the country, and to the nation as a whole. But his death brought home an important (and often overlooked) truth about superheroic activities -- that sometimes the good guys don't win. Can you share with us your feelings on this dangerous, potentially deadly job you're about to take on? "

Kolbrandr lets the silence draw out a few moments more before he again shifts forward, drawing attention to himself. He does not smile, and the resolve in his expression is steely, his tone fierce.

"Unseemly sir. Unseemly. I do not speak of so overly grim and wounding a question on a day of revels, but rather, thy implication on valour. On sacrifice. "sometimes the good guys don't win"? I say thee nay, nay a thousand times! Every moment of the Vision's life and death was triumph, was victory. Hast thou not taken notice that for every hero, there rampages a whole gallery of villains? That in the history of the champions of Midgard, it is often the appearance of such vileness that brings forth warriors to oppose it, despite the treacher words of the virtueless that imply the opposite?

It is the burden all men bear that there is as much baseness in their souls as there is sterling nobility, and all too many are lured in by the easy temptations of their darker selves. And yet the Vision, though made in darkness, with the mind and soul of a man he embraced virtue. And yet the Vision stood with his fellows as exemplar shining, proclaiming to the world that we can be that better part of ourselves. That we can stand against evil, though it seem about us as the endless sea.

And thou dares't.. thou /dares't/ to say that his death had greater power to hurt us, than his life had to teach us? To enoble us? Little wonder that Cinnabar should not respond to thy words, to hear them is to be enraged at the apparent failure on thy part to have let his heroism reach thee.

To judge the measure of a man by tragedy, is easy. Evil, is easy. To rise to the good in us, to be the people we should be, is so hard that it should be seen as the peerless miracle and true wonder of this earth that we so rise. It can be so fragile a grace that without those to show us it can be done, we would be lost.

From his life to his death, the Vision spent nearly every moment so showing. There are heroes now because of it. There are heroes standing before you because of it. The Vision did his part to ensure that good would not pass from this world to let evil stand unchallenged. The blow his death dealt? To the very last, he has given us strength that helps us stand unbowed! Is that not a worthy life? Is that not a worthy death? How can any man dare to rob him of that legacy in how he is remembered?

The true dolorous stroke would be to forget that. The true dolorous stroke would be to let his memory stand not for strength, but sorrow.

It is the doom of the valiant to so rarely leave this world peacefully. But it is their greatest gift to leave it inspired to greater bravery and virtue of spirit still. From the most mortal of local constables to the most cosmic of titans, that is the best of what their heroism gives us. In ever continuing that legacy, in ever rising to the challenge of nobility, in the spite of pain, of trauma, of tragedy, or even at times the world itself, the.. good guys.. /always/ win. The fight itself, is victory.

It is that, as Avengers, that is the most worthy of the tasks before us that we swear ourselves to. To be the heroes of today. To inspire the heroes of tomorrow. To show always, in life or death, sadness or glory, that we will e'er battle to keep goodness in this world, that so long as we have ensured that there are souls about us fired to embrace their own virtue, it will not matter if or when we pass from this world. We will have won. Let that be what thou commemorate. Let that pledge be what drives us to celebrate this day. Let us as one roar challenge into the fetid sea of evil and send it blasted back, tremulous and craven. So says the son of Balder!"

By now, Kol's eyes practically blaze from passion, and his voice is almost as the roar of the lion, booming and vital, his gaze has scanned out over the entire crowd as he spoke, drawing them in to the relentless storm of his own emotion, pride and honour.