Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Calling Dr. Anomaly! Quotes needed from you immediately to prevent thread derailment! This is not a drill! I repeat' date=' this is not a drill! You are needed in this thread! Stat![/quote']

As it happens, I do have a couple I hadn't posted yet... :)

"What are you complaining about? Labs were meant to be exploded!"

-----

From Teen Champions:

This next one takes a bit of set-up. Nadia (Twilight) is from Romania, has very little love for anything Russian, and delights noting how much better things are in America. While she and her mentor (Nadia is a freshman, her mentor a junior) are studying together on Monday evening, actions and events involving some of her classmates in the secret underground facilities of the school lead to a dangerous situation:

An alarm begins sounding.

Nadia: "Is that fire alarm?"

Selena (her mentor): "No...but I don't know what it is; I've never heard that particular alarm before!"

Nadia: "Socrates, what is alarm?"

Socrates [school AI]: "The microsingularity in the main power generator has become destabilized; a level 2 dimensional breach is in progress. I advise immediate evacuation of the area."

Nadia (stamps foot, looks indignant): "This is outrage! We are told American reactors different from Soviet!!"

-----

I ran into something similar in a 1960's spies campaign, where our secret agent characters had crossed behind the Iron Curtain. We were let into a top secret facility by a sleeper agent, who was showing us where we needed to go.

On the way to the control room, I noticed that there were about a fifth as many people in the compound as Id expected to see, and no one was really doing anything...productive.

"Where is everyone?" I asked her."And why are all those men just standing around?"

Our guide quietly replied, "Things work differently here than in America. You see... we pretend to work, and they pretend to pay us."

From my Hell's Gate Open game.

RoryO'Toole: What do you say to a girl?? (young priest PC set up on a date by his brother to get information from a cute police girl).

-----------------

JD: I bugged her car. All you need to do is turn on the tracking equipment and follow it.

Monday: You mean the tracking equipment back in your car? We're in my car.

Not really a quote, but it was a nice bit and this is the best place to put it.

I was playtesting a pulp adventure last night. The PCs were in a gunfight with some Nazi soldiers in a forest. One of the Nazis was covering a PC when another PC shot and killed him, I ruled that the bullet went wide and hit a tree branch. Another player promptly rolled his Unluck to see if the tree branch would land on his head.

I was playtesting a pulp adventure last night. The PCs were in a gunfight with some Nazi soldiers in a forest. One of the Nazis was covering a PC when another PC shot and killed him' date=' I ruled that the bullet went wide and hit a tree branch. Another player promptly rolled his Unluck to see if the tree branch would land on his head.[/quote']

So, don't keep us in suspense... did it? ;)

Background:

Wind Whisper is a spell that allows you to send a brief message to anyone you have met or know well enough from description that the GM will okay. The quote of the week is in bold, the rest leads into it.

"[King Aetus] waited until after his official men had left for Calthorn, Devale and Easthaven. He hired us to take care of a problem involving the mage guilds making things difficult."

"How were they making things 'difficult'?"

"And what business do they have in Easthaven?"

"Some spell. Wind related is all he knows. Word is travelling too fast. He wants to shut down the guilds that have the spell and any guilds that have connections to those who know it."

"I don't know what the business was. I just heard him say something about sending men there. And one assassin to look out for that spell he loathes."

I look at Firen. "I guess he doesn't like that Wind Whisper you made. Shame. It's handy."

I look over at Vivian with a look of concern.

Firen says, "I want to finished this snot off for destroying the hall when you are done."

"Too bad we don't know the King, we could mock him from afar."

Our Brazilian heroine, Arana, spotted some "erratic flashings" in the jungle with her ultraviolet vision (it was a lightning elemental). The word "erratic" sounds like something totally different when spoken with a Brazilian accent...

Fairly sudued group last night, only a few goodies. These first two were OOC between the GM and his wife, Player #1 (playing a barbarian named Kres).

After a particularly good series of rolls:

Player #1: "Do you want to see my dice?"

[/i]GM: "I want to weigh your dice."

Later, when the player uncharacteristically holds back from a fight:

GM: "Kres is a coward."

Player #1: "Used husband for sale. Cheap."

Player #2: (to GM) "Hope you've got a comforteable couch."

And finally, a couple that were in character. This first one, we were preparing to enter the abandoned-but-still-sanctified temple of an ancient elvish goddess. Most of the non-elvish party members divest themselves of their holy symbols and the like before entering. Then the GM turns to the human paladin.

"I have the holy symbol of [my god] tatooed on my forehead. Guess I'll wait out here."

And lastly:

"And now Gaius will wrestle the dinosaur..."

Unfortunately' date=' I can't use the answering machine messages of, "Hi guys, this is Kathleen. I'm thinking of cutting off my character's leg." It wasn't a real game quote.[/quote']

That reminds me.

In an Alien Legion campaign, our characters were in the middle of a siege holding out against two rival armies. We planned on how to best to lure a hive of giant scorpions into one of the enemy camps and had settled on using a leg from one of the dead when the medic (a sado-masochist with regeneration) exclaims:

"You want a leg? You can have mine!" (Amputates his own leg.)

Tim (yes, the HERO forums Tim) came up to my place for some gaming this weekend; I ended up running a Stargate adventure for him & two of my regular players...and yes, of course, I used the HERO system! ;)

In any case, here are a couple of good ones from that game:

Col. Nez: "I'm packing for bear...as usual."

Cpt. Taylor: "But colonel...the bears here are only this big!" (holds up her hands about 10" apart)

(On the planet they were on, they'd seen some lifeforms that resembled bears, but about the size of raccoons.)

The planet in question orbited a dim, dying sun and the plants were all almost black in color due to their needing to soak up every available scrap of sunlight.

Lt. May: "Obviously whoever built this planet couldn't afford Technicolor."

(Tim played Lt. May. :) )

Here's one from tonight; I'd really rather not explain the context, though I will say is was not during a Stargate game:

"No, I don't need that gun, I'm already using a two-handed thingie..." (pause) "You know, given what that tentacle monster just ended up doing to my pretty female assistant, I probably could have phrased that better..."

And now a very dirty exchange between two of us who play gangrels in Vampire. My friend, Joe, has a vampire with a panther as a ghoul, while mine has a crow.

Me: "The crow swoops down out of the sky and into position behind the wolf and burns blood to grow his claws."

Joe: "My Panther has been just waiting all this time for that bird to come down. He's dying to eat a little crow."

Me: "That's alright, my crow eats p****."

Joe: "No wonder Moira is so happy."

New D&D campaign started tonight. Were at a festival. Its a Forgotten Realms game (and that should have just about cleared this forum...)

Anyway, we've been taking part in contests of skill and arms and such. I am playing a Genesai (basically elemental origin) who has the feat Jotunbrud. My character is big and bad and you don't want to wrestle with him.

Sadly I had been eliminated from one of the arms contests (it wasn't my weapon of choice) and so Auric (me) and Malikai (a guy who basically wants to be an African version of Conan) are now trying to sweet talk some ladies.

Malikai: "Well Ladies, what do you say about a night of delight with my giant friend and I here?"

Me (OOC): "Tell them I am considered Large when its advantageous to me!"

Malikai's Player: *Chokes on his english muffin*

Heh. The Tomorrow-Boy bits remind me of a player in my last HERO game, the Third Eye Investigations Superhero-Noir game.

He was from the future, and had come back to change the past, and his schtick was future pop-culture references, which the player and I had fun inventing.

"Hard to believe Keanu won the Oscar for MacBeth.."

"I didn't think Jerry Bruckheimer's 'The Hobbit' stayed true to the books.."

Heh. The Tomorrow-Boy bits remind me of a player in my last HERO game, the Third Eye Investigations Superhero-Noir game.

He was from the future, and had come back to change the past, and his schtick was future pop-culture references, which the player and I had fun inventing.

"Hard to believe Keanu won the Oscar for MacBeth.."

"I didn't think Jerry Bruckheimer's 'The Hobbit' stayed true to the books.."

Careful - next time your players have to Save The World, they might decide it's not worth saving. :D

Golden Age F-ups:

The team's strongmen are holding the tether lines to Dr Strauss' excping uberzeppelin while the rest of the team leaps the gap and tries to scramble into the gondola. Gauntlet and Hotspur make it easily but the NPC Cpl Hamilton rolls WAY high and falls. Captian Mysterion drops the line he is holding and flys down to catch him while the last team member, American Ace, swings across the gap Errol Flynn stylee and crashes through a cabin window.

Capt M picks a window to crash through in order to surprise any soldiers inside. He picks the room with nothing but crates of files.

Capt Mysterion: "Ah HA! Take that, you dirty Nazi...crates."

Meanwhile, Gauntlet & Hotspur are confronted by two Soviet supers who want the same research as our heroes. Hotspur goes at it with her rival speedster and aces a flurry of autofired punches, leaving him stunned. Gauntlet winds up and punches the quick commie in the back of the noggin. The stun is heavy but the knockback sends him crashing through the wall of the gondola and plummeting down to the rocky ground.

Hotspur looks up at Gauntlet with a 'look what you did!' expression. Gauntlet shrugs and says:

"No ticket!"

Golden Age F-ups:

The team's strongmen are holding the tether lines to Dr Strauss' excping uberzeppelin while the rest of the team leaps the gap and tries to scramble into the gondola. Gauntlet and Hotspur make it easily

And?