Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

(Starship Troopers game)

"The guys we were sent to relieve are in bits, our commanding officer is dead, the Corporal has gone AWOL in the head, and the facility is crawling with bugs. If you want to stay here another 44 days, go right ahead."

Missed a few from last several Defenders sessions. Woops!!

Fantastic-Man wanting to see PRIMUS agents' IDs.

FM: Are they real?

GM: *rolls dice* As far as you can tell they are.

FM: Crap!!

Nighthawk & Fantastic-Man waiting inside the D-Jet while the rest of the team are doing recon:

Nights: ......have any fours?

In big combat against Dragon Branch:

GM as Ripper to The Mac Bashtee: Grrraaaagh!!! I'm gonna RIP you inTWO!!!

Players (OOC): *laughter* Seriously? His name is "RIPPER?" And the best he can come up with is THAT?!

FM in Ripper Voice: I am RIPPER! Why am I not RIPPING MORE!! RIIIIIIIP!!!!!!

GM as Heinous (VIPER Metahuman Nest Leader)to Fantastic-Man Maybe I'll kill you last... let you watch your friends DIE!"

FM: And yet here you are... just talking to me.

From 2 sessions ago - The Defenders Vs. Gravitar

Someone... can't remember who: So... If you're so hellbent on proving that you're the most powerful being on the planet, why haven't you gone after Dr. Destroyer yet?

GM as Gravitar (who is French): Bah! Destroyer is a hack! A pathetic coward who hides in the shadows sending his toys and minions to do his dirty work! He is beneath me!

Fantastic-Man: Awww... Could Frenchie not find Dr. D?

Fantastic-Man attempts to knock Gravitar into orbit with his super-mega-knockback punch

Nighthawk: I thought we were done sending monkeys into space.

The Mac Bashtee: Yes, now we've moved to [amphibian reference deleted to avoid offending any of our Herophile brethren in France. :thumbup:]

From The Defenders last Saturday:

GM as Chiron the Centaur (training The Defenders for their upcoming battle with The Dragon): To be ready, you must prove you are sound of Body, which you have done.

Players: Okay.

Chiron: You must be sound of Spirit, which again you have proven.

Players: Uh-huh.

Chiron: Now, you must prove that you are sound of Mind...

Warforge: We are so screwed!!

Chiron (after Nighthawk solves the riddle):

Excellent. You have proven that you are of sound mind.

Tomorrow Boy Well, HE is! What about the REST of us?!

Sebastian Grey (Secret ID of The Mac Bashtee) and Jack Kirby (Nighthawk) on their way to meet with the archaeologist, Dr. Jackson, who has finished studying the Lemurian artifact that Kirby's company found. Prior to the meeting, Dr. Jackson requested that Kirby bring his "cute environmentalist friend" - that being Grey.

SG: So... she specifically asked me to come? Maybe she'll bring a friend.

JK: Maybe... but I don't know how good of a wingman I'll be. I've never played that role before!

Later, as FM struggles through an unexplained loss of his Mass Manipulation, Flight powers, and superstrength:

FM: Yeah, I suck now, but somehow I manage to do things!

More from last Saturday (didn't realize TB had written more on back! D'Oh!)

At the meeting w/ Dr. Jackson, as she explains that she cannot scientifically identify the purpose of the Lemurian artifact:

Mac Bashtee (in his secret ID w/ pick-up line voice): Do you believe in magic?

Nighthawk (OOC): Jeez... there's the main line of our "Can You Read My Mind" song when this adventure gets picked up by Hollywood.

Zorran the Artificer: Ah! You must be the one they call Fantastic-Man!

FM: Ah! You must be the one that needs a breath mint!

Tomorrow Boy (after telekinetically disarming Lazer of his rifle and pistol: Lazer?! That's the best name you could come up with? Nothing with Pizazz, like Laserbolt? Or Lightbeam?

GM as Lazer: You are so dead, kid!!

TB: Yeah? Get in line behind Ripper!

Finally, after The Defenders had defeated Ogre, Thunderbolt (II) and Lazer, two 25-ft. tall Lemurian Golems appeared - the first throwing a car (with Warforge attached as the hood ornament) through the hotel lobby wall where the team had fought Zorran & his superhenchmen, and the second just punching his way through the wall next to Fantastic-Man & Mac Bashtee:

Mac Bashtee: I'd like to go on record as saying... CRAP!!

My PC's, having just discovered some magical items, find they're able to tune into anything going on in the King's Court, just by wearing a magical pair of spectacles and putting a listening-horn into one ear. I emphasize how dull it is to tune in to politics for 24 hours at a time, when a PC says he keeps these items on at all times. Finally, I explain, "It's like C-SPAN."

(Not during a game, but related . . .)

Josh was joking about having Mind Control last night. At one point, he gestures vaguely, and says, "If I had Mind Control, I'd shut them up."

I, thinking he means the gerbils, who rattle their cage most nights, reply, "But you don't have animal class of minds."

Josh, who'd meant the neighbors who were talking loudly across the street from our bedroom window, cracked up.

It took me 5 minutes to figure out what was so funny.

Western Hero: Our characters are all part of a posse chasing down Kid Richter and his gang. After weeks on the trail we corner the Kid and his gang in a switchback canyon holding an old claim. Gunfight ensues with much fun and excitement. Kid Richter and our gunslinger Ace bandy words.

Ace: (We'd finally gunned down the 'bad' preacher running with Ace's gang) "Richter! Yer preacher friend out here looks a might used up... reckon you best come on out peaceful like, else I'm coming in fer ya!"," he calls out."

Richter: "Come on in! Just made some fresh coffee. Apolagize in advance for the mess though. Someone's been shootin' the place up."

Ace: "Well now Ol' son, iff'n there's coffee..."

Ace goes gunslinger. He whips around the doorframe after cordially replying to Kid Richte's invitation, pulling the trigger as he crosses the threshold. Ace sees Richter take a hit to the shoulder. It is just enough to throw off the Kid's aim and his bullet whips by Ace. The Kid is unable to bring his other gun to bear while he shakes off the shock of the hit.

A look of recognition crosses his face, as Ace stands partially siloutted in the doorway.

Richter: "Damnit Ace, I thought we was kindred spirits. Why you gotta shoot me and all?"

Ace: "Ya thought wrong..." And guns Kid Richter down.

A few minutes later, Ace and Yancy Phillips are limping around and exploring the shack. They found the missing payroll stolen not long ago from Wells Fargo.

Ace: "Looks like Richter was keepin' busy, at least... plum fool lied 'bout the coffee though."

[sound of a "number not in service" tone] "I'm sorry... the soul you've tried to reach has been reincorporated or is not available at this time. Please check your corpse and try again later."

Necromancer (to the monk): "You see? This is the problem with reincarnation... now it we want to talk to him we've got to go hunt up the cow or whatever it is that he's been reincarnated as..."

[sound of a "number not in service" tone] "I'm sorry... the soul you've tried to reach has been reincorporated or is not available at this time. Please check your corpse and try again later."

Necromancer (to the monk): "You see? This is the problem with reincarnation... now it we want to talk to him we've got to go hunt up the cow or whatever it is that he's been reincarnated as..."

I need to use this the next time I do Fantasy. :D

JG

This post in another thread...

Yep. Spidey causes the Hulk to miss his attack completely (except that for some purposes--like for being able to continue a Sweep maneuver--it doesn't count as a literal miss). That's when the Hulk gets' date=' "frustrated," and starts picking up buses and sh*t. [/quote']

Got me to remember an episode from a Marvel Hero game that took place many years ago. The players were assuming the role of the X-Men and they were having to battle the Hulk. Of course we wern't trying to beat him as much as lure into an area where he'd do less damage. The player of Wolverine was really egging the Hulk on, getting him more angry. Our build of Hulk featured an Aid that increased his STR the madder he got. Wolverine's DCV was pretty hard for Hulk to hit but finally he got a good (or bad roll depending on your point of view) and connected with a punch. The player running the Hulk had to do some counting to see how many damage classes he had amassed. His quote...

"Hulk so mad, Hulk can't hold all Hulk's dice." :eg:

Wolverine lived but his regeneration got a workout.

on a trip to hell to recover someone, the heroes are confronted with

an impenetrable force field. there is no physical key,

the gate covered will open with a logic puzzle, based

on intellect and attitude. (ie the smart zen people go through quickly)

Trap-Door the detective gets through quickly, very quickly.

others take a while.

Big-Brother the mentalist takes a long while, and gets in last.

Trap-Door: glad ya made it today.

Big Brother: how did you do that ?

Trap-Door: ya have to be sincere.

Trap-Door: glad ya made it today.

Trap-Door: ya have to be sincere.

Good one! Reminds me of an old MASH episode, of all things, where BJ has just scored with some young lady that Hawkeye had previously struck out with:

Hawkeye: "What have you got that I don't?"

BJ: "How about sincerity?"

Hawkeye: "Sincerity? I can fake that!"

Dare I ask for context?

A particular character was going to have a Tarot reading done for him by another character. When he touched the deck of cards to shuffle it, he was surprised to find how GOOD the deck felt in his hands, and likened it to picking up a cat that wanted to be petted. The owner of the deck replied that was unusual, and must mean the deck liked him.

Later, the character that likened the way the deck felt to the way a cat feels was talking to a third character about the experience, and summed it up by saying "Apparently I'm Meow Mix for a deck of cards". Since he meant the deck liked him and responded to him like a cat responding to a "kitty treat", it would probably have been more accurate for him to say that he was "catnip", not cat food (Meow Mix) but that's what he said. :)

Female: "I have new parts, but I still suck!"

Male: (I'm going to hold my tongue.)

Female: :twiddles fingers: :o

From a long time ago:

"So what you're saying is that the Psychic Friends Network is really a legitimate front for PSI?"

A particular character was going to have a Tarot reading done for him by another character. When he touched the deck of cards to shuffle it, he was surprised to find how GOOD the deck felt in his hands, and likened it to picking up a cat that wanted to be petted. The owner of the deck replied that was unusual, and must mean the deck liked him.

Later, the character that likened the way the deck felt to the way a cat feels was talking to a third character about the experience, and summed it up by saying "Apparently I'm Meow Mix for a deck of cards". Since he meant the deck liked him and responded to him like a cat responding to a "kitty treat", it would probably have been more accurate for him to say that he was "catnip", not cat food (Meow Mix) but that's what he said. :)

Okay, it makes sense now. Thank you. :)

For some reason, my brain was using 'Meow Mix' as a verb rather than a noun, I think, like it was some weird slang expression I had just NEVER EVER HEARD. :)