Pirate Hero arrrrrg!

CourtFool

Re: Pirate Hero arrrrrg!

You are SO giving me ideas for TravellerHERO! :)

One of the best Traveller games I ever ran, all the players wanted to be pirates. My GM PC and the main character had both been pirates, and both mustered out with a pirate cruiser. They sold one of their ships to get the money to up-gun the other one.

Then the whole crew went on a pirate rampage, that lasted for about 5 years (game time). They were wildly successful, but got bored.

So they went legit, opened a shipping line, and made more money in 6 months as legit merchants than they had the whole 5 years they were pirates.

If I get to run TravellerHERO anytime soon, I WILL be using this material. Good ideas, oh llama!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I agree in a certain way that pirate and generally seamanship adventures tend to be repetitive but if the overall feeling is similar the plot twists can be numerous. And also the situation can be varied enough to keep the player entertained ( they must love the genre nevertheless...)

I think that the best inspirational writer in this field is James Nelson with his books about the Brethren of the Coast ( historically perfect for your setting)and the Revolution at Sea ( can be adapted with not much effort).

Among the book consituting the two series the Maddest Idea is the one most ripe with ideas... you got Bermuda and New England and a lot of interesting situations for your players to face.

I don't want to spoil the book so if you want a brief synopsis I can send one to you via email.

Then you can consider to adapt some adventures that were created for Run out the guns, the pirate game that ICE ( Rolemaster) supported for a brief period. i don't know the availability but at the website www.guildcompanion.com you should be able to find some used in conventions.

Ciao

Andrea

Belay that campaign!

The campaign has been put on hold indefinitely. It never got going the way I would have liked. I think this has a lot to do with my GMing style and the expectations of my players. Something I will have to address in future games.

Some people expressed an interest in this campaign online. While I do not think I could commit to a specified time block I might be able to run a Play By Post or e-mail campaign if people were interested in that sort of thing. I have a wife and two year old daughter that like to monopolize most of my time but I could commit to a weekly update. Any takers?

Early Firearms

While I am working on the campaign...

Early Firearms

Cost  Power END 
Matchlocks   
3  1) Arquebus: RKA 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
4  2) Caliver: RKA 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
3  3) Matchlock Pistol: RKA 1d6 (15 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
5  4) Musket with rest: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
3  5) Target Rifle: RKA 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 

Wheellocks   
2  1) Belt Pistol: RKA 1d6-1 (10 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
4  2) Horse Pistol: RKA 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
5  3) Jager Rifle: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
2  4) Pocket Pistol: RKA 1/2d6 (10 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 

Flintlocks   
5  1) Blunderbuss: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
5  2) Brown Bess: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
4  3) Charleville: RKA 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
4  4) Durs Egg Holster Pistol: RKA 1d6+1 (20 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
4  5) Fusil: RKA 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
3  6) Highland Pistol: RKA 1d6 (15 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
4  7) Musketoon: RKA 1 1/2d6 (25 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
3  8) Naval Pistol: RKA 1d6 (15 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
5  9) Pennsylvania Rifle: RKA 2d6 (30 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 
3  10) Wogdon Dueller: RKA 1d6 (15 Active Points); 8 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time; -1 1/2), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (-1), OAF (-1), Beam (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)  [1] 

Basically ripped off from G.U.R.P.S. Swashbucklers.

Early Firearms

It occurred to me that a lot of space is taken up with the same limitations. Really, the only differences are die of damage and wheter it is a pistol or rifle (Requires Two Hands).

Increased Reloading Time did not print the length of time (that is annoying). It should be a Full Turn. Fantasy Hero suggest allowing this to be shortened to Two Full Phases with a successful Fast Draw roll.

There probably should have been some negative range modifiers for the weapons. There are already quite a few Limitations on the firearms and since I am running a cinematic style campaign I did not think the extra work would really add any value. Those wanting a more realistic game are free to add some Side Effects (Negative Skill Levels).

• 1 year later...

Fernando de la Vega

Once again I am exploring the Pirate genre. I thought I would throw some characters together in case I ever had a chance to run a pick up game and needed some pre-generated PCs. I do not have any background because my imagination is a little rusty these days. Basically, this is a priest, who, for whatever reason, has found himself on the outs with the church and now runs with Pirates. For those of you familiar with Firefly, I was thinking a little of Shepard Book.

Fernando de la Vega

Val	Char	Cost
10	STR	0
12	DEX	6
13	CON	6
10	BODY	0
18	INT	8
16	EGO	12
20	PRE	10
10	COM	0

2	PD	0
3	ED	0
3	SPD	8
5	REC	0
26	END	0
22	STUN	0

6"	RUN	0
2"	SWIM	0
2"	LEAP	0
Characteristics Cost: 50

Cost	Power
12	Blessing: Luck 4d6, Delayed Effect (+1/4), Usable Simultaneously
(up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1),
Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate,
Character May Take No Other Actions, -3/4), Gestures (-1/4),
Incantations (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 12

Cost	Skill
12	+4 with Conversation, Oratory and Persuasion
0	AK: Spain 8-
0	Acting 8-
3	Bureaucratics 13-
0	Climbing 8-
0	Concealment 8-
3	Conversation 13-
0	Deduction 8-
3	High Society 13-
3	Linguist
0	1)  Language:  English (basic conversation; literate) (2 Active Points)
1	2)  Language:  French (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)
0	3)  Language:  Latin (basic conversation; literate) (2 Active Points)
0	4)  Language:  Portugese (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)
0	5)  Language:  Spanish (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)
3	Oratory 13-
3	PS: Priest 13-
0	Paramedics 8-
3	Persuasion 13-
0	Shadowing 8-
0	Stealth 8-
0	WF:  Clubs, Unarmed Combat
Skills Cost: 34

Cost	Perk
4	Fringe Benefit:  Priest,
Right to Marry:  Can perform the marriage ceremony
Perks Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 100

Base Points: 100
Experience Required: 0
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0

You may notice the lack of Disadvantages. This was intentional. It is quite possible that the aforementioned imaginary pick up game that may or may not ever happen may very well be with people who are not entirely familiar with the concept of Disadvantages. In general, I find people rarely play the Disadvantages of pre-generated characters. Yes, I could make them all something other than Psychological Limitations, but I find it rather difficult to come up with enough points out of the other categories. Besides, if I find a group interested and they like the characters, I could let them come up with 50 points worth of Disadvantages on their own and then run 100/50 which is what I probably would have run anyway.

They need a naval nemesis - perhaps a spanish commodore sent to deal with them. And pirate stories are ripe for romance - perhaps the daughter of the governor who wants them destroyed falls in love with one of them - or perhaps their foes seize the saucy tart they have a soft spot for? And then, a rivalry with another pirate crew and a race for lost treasure might be in order. I also agree the absence of magic doesn't mean you can't play up on legends and the like. Also, what if ju-ju zombies are just people in a deep drug-coma? And then we have islands with natives and death drums! (of course, that's a south pacific thing, but hey...). You could also throw in hapless missionaries ala Nate and Hayes. And what about political intrigue - the area is dominated by the portuguese and spanish at this point in history IIRC, but the british are pushing for control of the area. A shifty british business man giving them information on shipping in a local port may be more than he appears... and, of course, there's the silver train - and the AMAZON! You could run a lost city adventure!

You might want to keep an eye out for Pirates of the Ceruclean Ocean, a campaign setting based off of the interesting background of Puzzle Pirates. There's still some stuff I need to do before starting, but it's intended to be open-format Wiki-based, with outside work allowed. I just need to state some rules, declare certain conventions off-limits, and so on so on...

For adventures take a lot at the old Hero Games supplement PIRATES! For older but still good stuff (if you can get it you'll get it for cheap) take Falshing Blades "High Seas" adventure module and Skull & Crossbones "Pieces of Eight" by FGU. Each module has 3 respectively 4 adventures and some plot hooks/ adeventure ideas thrown in.

For a good read on pirates' myth and reality take a look at David Cordingly, Under The Black Flag. The romance and reality of life among the pirates, New York (Random House) 1996

There are probably more recent ones out than this one but I found it an informative, entertaining, educational read - and it has a kick-a$$-skull cover!

The old Privateers & Gentlemen might also be worth a look but it is set in the late 18th/ early 19th century - so probably out of the desired timefrmae.

Not many history books sport a cover like that!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Need a Good Pirate MacGuffin

I have revived my Pirate Hero campaign at my local gaming store. It is currently a 'pick up' game so I do not know who will be playing from session to session.

The PCs were all guilty of some crime which the punishment was being sold into slavery and shipped to the Caribbean. They killed the slavers and appropriated the ship and managed to make port in Martinique. Conveniently, they are low on gold, food, the ship has no canon, they have no crew and none of them are experienced sailors. I would like to keep them on the island for a bit as I did a bit of research on Martinique and I would like them to use it as a base of operations.

The town is currently under a 'curse' and the local militia attempted to apprehend one of the party as a witch. The 'witch' ran away and the party did not really bite on the 'curse' hook so I think I need to try something else. I am planning on attacking the town with pirates. It should be pretty difficult for the PCs not to get involved. After helping defend the town from pirates they will be heroes and gain an audience with the governor. Then I plan to have the governor ask them to help him with the local Carib problem. I am thinking he asks the PCs to retrieve something from the Caribs but I can not come up with a good MacGuffin.

At first I was thinking his daughter, but why would they capture her? Why not just kill her? I need something the Caribs would keep and that is important enough for the Governor to want back. So I am turning to my fellow board members for ideas. Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Need a Good Pirate MacGuffin

At first I was thinking his daughter, but why would they capture her? Why not just kill her? I need something the Caribs would keep and that is important enough for the Governor to want back. So I am turning to my fellow board members for ideas. Thank you in advance for your help.

How about some symbolic gold-encrusted hooha that was originally taken from the Caribs? Some item of religious importance to them that is now being used as a symbol of authority.

Or maybe just a giant pearl. I'm not sure how much gold the Caribs ever had, but they had pearls. Or a weird hunk of coral. Carved like a monkey or something.

Just a little brainstorming. I think the best way to tie these things together would be to give the item some monetary value to the (French, Spanish, English...who's in charge of Martinique at this time anyway? All those places changed hands so much) and some ritual value to the Caribs. Maybe they just figured out where it was, or maybe some alignment of the stars is coming up, and they have to get the thing back quick.

Currently, Martinique is French. I plan to keep things historically accurate until dramatic liscense hits me.

Shortly after posting I remembered that I had given this hook some thought before. I am thinking I will use the governor's daughter who he believes the Caribs kidnapped in their most recent raid. He is rather fixated on wiping them off the island. They are, after all, savages and not really people.

Anyway, the thing is that his daughter, Elisabeth has run away with the weaponsmith, Guilliam de Bois. So I have an excellent excuse to drag the PCs through jungles of Martinique, toss some angry natives at them only to discover the governor's daughter has been hiding out at the local smithy. Now will they help her run away or return her to her father. Either way they earn a favor and quite possibly a hunted.:rolleyes: