Character: Mercenary

Curufea

This is for an upcoming game set in my version of the Western Shores. He's a conversion of the player's D20 character. Let me know what you guys think-

Ahem, just on the slim chance that my players will actually check these forums, I'd better not put him here... sorry.

Re: Character: Mercenary

This is for an upcoming game set in my version of the Western Shores. He's a conversion of the player's D20 character. Let me know what you guys think-

Ahem, just on the slim chance that my players will actually check these forums, I'd better not put him here... sorry.

Chara Tease;)

G

• 1 month later...

He's got some problems with another PC (Alden, the mage) because the other PC had not written his background, and on the day of the first session he decided he would be a Baron of Thodric's March (Ostmark) rather than of another County/Duchy/March, so as the missing traitorous heir to the Markgraviate of Ostmark, we had to work out (retroactively) reasons why Alden wouldn't recognise him. So we've made Alden unsociable, and Thodric has kept his secret so far. It also helps that he's got a crewcut and 5 years of hard warfare in a desert country to change his looks.

That's basically because I told the player "mid level character" and he came up with an 8th level fighter in D20 (which is the only system he knows), which I converted over.

But it goes with the whole Arab/Fremen culture of the Zylistani reptiles. The levels would likely have been used for damage when he was there - to penetrate their hides.

Stealth - possibly, but not a lot of climbing is done in deserts. When he's got some XP, maybe.

Well, I did give him Mounted Combat :)

Don't know when we'll do the second session - but he's had no combat yet in the first session (only The Beast has attacked someone, and that was a suprise attack - so doesn't really count as combat).

The character looks good, with a couple of minor quibbles.

Yes, the bow should have STR Minimum Does Not Add To Damage (-1/2) added; that will take care of the 1 1/2d6 with STR issue.

The bigger concern, for me as a GM, would be that 20 point Psych Lim: Ruthless.

As a 20-pointer, I'd feel compelled to enforce it. If I were running this game, the other PCs would constantly have to all but force him to take prisoners rather than kill them. There'd be ceaseless conflict among the party over whether to negotiate or fight, in nearly any situation.

If some poor merchant tried to over-charge this guy, he'd be as likely to slice him up as to haggle with him.

But maybe I'm over-reading that. I know that I have had a tendency in the past to under-enforce Disadvantages, and may well be over-compensating.

OTOH, that sort of conflict may be just the thing for your game. It could lead to some great role-playing among the party, if the GM and the other players are willing and able to go with the flow.

Edit: OK, after having read the Bard's character sheet, what the notes on there say about Ruthless, only more so. The Mercenary has Ruthless as Total, which means he would fall apart psychologically if he violated it. Ugh.

More or less the same comment on Code of the Mercenary, Total. Ow.

The Bard's disads are currently "under review" as soon as the player get around to giving me his modified sheet :)

The merc - is potentially a complete cold hearted bastard. But I need to discuss this a bit more with the player.

As for the bow - that's from the gear pack for hero designer - I'll fix it.