[Humour]SciFi TV Quotes

Curufea

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: [Humour]SciFi TV Quotes

Huh. I've never even heard of Blake's 7.

British sci-fi series, late 70 to early eighties. The effects are, of course, exactly what you'd expect from late-70s BBC, but some of the writing was pretty decent. Don't think it's out of DVD yet, but a good independant video store might have it on VHS. Worth a look, if you like that sort of thing. (I do.)

Trivia note: As I recall, Blakes 7's creator, Terry Nation, held the record for writing the most consecutive episodes of a TV series until Joe Straczynski beat him with Babylon 5.

BigDamnHero

Trivia note: As I recall, Blakes 7's creator, Terry Nation, held the record for writing the most consecutive episodes of a TV series until Joe Straczynski beat him with Babylon 5.

I don't know if it's a record, but Nation wrote every episode of Blakes 7's first season. Mind you that was 13 epsiodes, but still.

It is traditional practice in Britain for one person to write an entire series, especially if it's short. Then again, the British tend to turn novels and the like into TV series more oftent han the Americans do (House of Cards and I, Claudius are two famous examples.)

I have to wonder, is it fair to use Red Dwarf. To get all of them, we'd have to put the complete scripts. :winkgrin:

Kryten: What do we do now?

Rimmer: Follow the Rimmer-shaped blurr (runs away)

Everyone else: (runs in another direction)

Rimmer: There's one flaw in your plan.

Kryten: No sir, I took your cowardess into account

Rimmer: Can you imagine an entire society based on me?

Cat: I did and it took me two weeks to dry out the matress.

Rimmer (sans bitterness): The Cat had his cool sucked out of him. Now he looks so geeky he couldn't get in a science fiction convention.

Lister: A fistfight with a T-rex?

Killcrazy: Yeah! They have short arms, no reach!

Rimmer: What about the Rimmer directive which states, "Never tangle with anything that's got more teeth than the entire Osmond family?"

Rimmer: forgive me if I'm being thicker than the offspring of a village idiot and a TV weathergirl...

Cat: Raise the defensive shields!

Kryten: An excellent idea sir but with just two minor drawbacks. One, we don't have any defensive shields and two we don't have any defensive shields. I know that is technically one reason but it was so glaring that it is worth mentioning twice.

Huh. I've never even heard of Blake's 7.

I recommend buying the first two seasons on DVD as soon as you can (and the later seasons when they come out).

It's iconic.

And many of the characters are archetypes that make any similar character appear blandly derivative :)

Two more from Firefly.

Jayne: "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak."

Simon: "River...come on out, River! The nice man wants to kidnap you!"

DS9

Quark: "I'm not rescuing you, I'm taking you along as emergency rations!"