Victorian Women's Art of Self Defense

TheQuestionMan

Re: Marry early. Marry well.

Cat fight! Cat fight! Er...I mean...odd.

They could perform a few sweep maneuvers with those high falutin' hoop dresses of theirs... and I think parasole (sp?) fighting would be something that I would want to see.

I won't even mention how much combat protection those camasoles and girdles would give...

Forgive me if I'm stereotyping or completely out of reference. My 'Victorian' knowledge is largely dictated by Hollywood.

llama = the new geek

High Falutin' Hoop Dress: Armor (1 PD / 1 ED) (3 Active Points) OIF (Fragile, -¾), Locations 14-18 Only (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Double Mass (-1¼) (1 Real Point) plus Damage Resistance (2 PD / 0 ED) (1 Active Point) OIF (Fragile, -¾), Locations 14-18 Only (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Double Mass (-1¼) (1 Real Point) (2 Total Real Points)

Girdle: (1 PD / 1 ED) (3 Active Points) OIF (Fragile, -¾), Locations 12 & 13 Only (-2), Real Armor (-¼), Half Mass (-½) (1 Real Point)

Parasol-Fu

Used with Parasol or Clubs; that Weapon Element is free.

Maneuver Phs Pts OCV DCV Damage/Effect

Parry ½ 4 +2 +2 Block, Abort

Poke ½ 5 +1 +3 Weapon

Swat ½ 5 -2 +1 Weapon+4 DC Strike

Trip ½ 3 +2 -1 STR+1 DC Strike, Target Falls

Re: llama = the new geek

High Falutin' Hoop Dress: Armor (1 PD / 1 ED) (3 Active Points) OIF (Fragile' date=' -¾), Locations 14-18 Only (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Double Mass (-1¼) (1 Real Point) [b']plus[/b] Damage Resistance (2 PD / 0 ED) (1 Active Point) OIF (Fragile, -¾), Locations 14-18 Only (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Double Mass (-1¼) (1 Real Point) (2 Total Real Points)

Girdle: (1 PD / 1 ED) (3 Active Points) OIF (Fragile, -¾), Locations 12 & 13 Only (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Half Mass (-½) (1 Real Point)

Parasol-Fu

Used with Parasol or Clubs; that Weapon Element is free.

Maneuver Phs Pts OCV DCV Damage/Effect

Parry ½ 4 +2 +2 Block, Abort

Poke ½ 5 +1 +3 Weapon

Swat ½ 5 -2 +1 Weapon+4 DC Strike

Trip ½ 3 +2 -1 STR+1 DC Strike, Target Falls

Me likey! There would be an "LS: Limited need to breathe" attached to the Female Victorian package deal due to that girdle. Also a huge running penalty, let alone any kicking maneuvers.

Re: Victorian Women's Art of Self Defense

But the girdle doesn't give them the ability to hold their breath for long periods. What it actually does is reduces their END and REC to the point where they are prone to fainting fits (ie' date=' using up all their STUN).[/quote']

I was speaking of the LS as more of a requirement and not a built in ability... thus I put it in a Package Deal.

The guys would need a lockpicking skill as a complimentary skill to seduction. Heh heh.

When I saw the thread title, I assumed it would be something along the lines of "Lie back, and think of England" as mother advised their daughters with regard to their wedding night. Nice to see I was wrong.

The favored weapon of the genteel Victorian woman was a foot long hairpin, used everyday to hold up those outrageously complex Victorian hairstyles. :)

The favored weapon of the genteel Victorian woman was a foot long hairpin' date=' used everyday to hold up those outrageously complex Victorian hairstyles. :)[/quote']

That was taught as sex education in the 40s as well. (Well, at a certain Catholic Boarding school in Canada).

Sex Ed: Use a hairpin

The reason the Victorian women burn STUN and END and then pass out is obviously due to the Double Mass limitation on the Hoop Dress. I recommend you try making them out of mithril. CourtFool, you should write it up and submit it to Dave Mattingly for next year's April edition of Digital Hero!

Girdle: (1 PD / 1 ED) (3 Active Points) OIF (Fragile' date=' -¾), Locations 12 & 13 Only (-1), Real Armor (-¼), Half Mass (-½) (1 Real Point)[/quote']

Just FYI, the Locations 12 & 13 Only limitation would be worth -2. This should bring the cost down to 1 Real Point. :winkgrin:

Let me think...

...What powers would a damsel's tightly coiled sausage curl hair style have? You never acualy see it get dirty, the curls always keep there style and shape, the curls never go "out of place" unless the damsel is sturgling with there bonds. I know I would give a damsel a Mind Control, One Comand ("Help, Help, Save Me!"), Telepathic, with Gesters (Eyelash Flutter and Shaked Head Full Of Sausage Curls), but beyond that...any sergestions?

Note: Note that I did not put in Incantations, othoe the damsel will proably be screaming at the top of her lungs...or as loud as she can considering that there is a cloth gag in her mouth (usaly).

• 2 weeks later...

That was taught as sex education in the 40s as well. (Well, at a certain Catholic Boarding school in Canada).

Sex Ed: Use a hairpin

Actually I have seen in museums a number of teeny, tiny .22 cal pistols from victorian times. They are one shot and have no muzzle or grip to speak of. Very pretty though - all enamelled and decorated in gold and silver.

When I commented to my dad that you'd have difficulty hitting anyone with them, he pointed out that they were women's pistols: if you needed to use it, your attacker would be close enough that you could just stick the muzzle in his ear.

Cheers, Mark

Yeah, but...

When I commented to my dad that you'd have difficulty hitting anyone with them' date=' he pointed out that they were women's pistols: if you needed to use it, your attacker would be close enough that you could just stick the muzzle in his ear.[/quote']

[sARCASM] Yes, but isn't the ear a -8 to hit? [/sARCASM]

Re: Yeah, but...

[sarcasm] Yes, but when the target is surprised hit location is halved, when immobilized/sitting non-combat he is at DCV 0 or at best half DCV, obviously the set maneuver would be in play for a +1, and an additional +2 OCV if you allow the Point Blank bonus from DC. That nets you a total +3 vs. a hampered DCV and -4 for called shot). Not too diffy for a lady with 4-5 OCV. [/sarcasm]

Humm...talking about self defence for victorian women got me thinking...

How would you interprate the martial art "situation" weapions elements "Use Art While Prone" and "Use Art While Bound"? I was thinking of a martial art style originaly taught to women of the lower class (read "soiled doves"), and then eventuly taught to women in the middel and higher classes. As for the name...what is the french word for "Catapiler" (I know Papolon is Buterfly in french, but that is the end result).

I got the manuvers writen up (othoe I should give it more manuvers...so far I only gave five). One is a wigeling block. Another is a wigling dodge. The third is using wigling motions to slip from someone's grasp. The fourth is a "grab" by biteing someone. The fifth is a sort of acrobatic kick which unforcently leaves the user prone. What other manuvers can I give to this art? A "legsweep"?

Actually I have seen in museums a number of teeny, tiny .22 cal pistols from victorian times. They are one shot and have no muzzle or grip to speak of. Very pretty though - all enamelled and decorated in gold and silver.

When I commented to my dad that you'd have difficulty hitting anyone with them, he pointed out that they were women's pistols: if you needed to use it, your attacker would be close enough that you could just stick the muzzle in his ear.

Cheers, Mark

See, and here I was thinking you'd press it against the guy's torso. Am I the only one here with a :eg: at the thought of some villianous cad attempting to have his way with a "poor helpless Young Maiden", only to have his grey matter smeared across the drawing room wall?

Now, because you did not ask for it, is the martial art named Silkworm.

Silkworm

Use Art Bairhanded; Bairhanded Weapion Element is Free.

Manuver Name

Phs. Pts. OCV. DCV. Notes

Silkworm Bite

1/2 3 -2 -2 Grab One Limb, 1DC Killing Strike, +10 STR to Hold On

Silkworm Block

1/2 5 +1 +3 Block, Abort

Silkworm Dodge

1/2 4 - +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

Silkworm Escape

Var 4 +0 +0 +15 STR VS Grabs

Silkworm Head Strike

1/2 3 +2 +0 STR+2d6 Strike, Take Half Damage

Silkworm Rolling Strike

1/2 3 +0 +0 STR+v/5 Strike, Oponent Falls, FMove, Must Be Pron To Use (note: vareation of Follow)

Silkworm Tail Strike

1/2 5 -1 +0 STR+4d6 Strike, Oponent Falls, You Fall

Elements:

Situation: +1 Use Art While Bound (Manuver Penatlies Are Not Added In Till After Reduction From The Situation)

+1 Use Art While Prone (Manuver Penatlies Are Not Added In Till After Reduction From The Situation)

Skills:

* Penatily Skill Levels (Bound)

* Penatily Skill Levels (Prone)

* Acrobatics

* Breakfall

KS: Silkworm Martial Arts

High Society

Seduction

History: Nobody truly knows where this martial art comes from. Many scolors of fighting styles beleved the style originated with the contesesn of France (where it was called Ver A Sole), or Spain (where it was called Gusano De Seda). Others beleved it was brought to Europe by the Chinies. All agree that the martial arts style was originaly created by women as a way to learn how to fight back when there hands are bound in back and legs are bound together. In fact, the style gets it's name from the bound damsel's resemblence to a silkworm or catapiler.

This style originaly was taught only to women of low breading (who, some would say, would be more likely to be bound), but eventuly the popularity increses enougth that some women from the higher breadings learned it also. It is still a rair martial art style. And there are no known male users of this art (as we know of).

Special Notes:

Silkworm Bite is a deep bite usaly to the hands. Women of high breading most sertenly do not admit thay know this manuver. There is no bonus for location.

Silkworm Head Strike is a headbut, plain and simple. Again, it is another manuver women of higher breading will not admit thay know. There is a bonus for location (which is 2d6+1, or depends on the target's position).

Silken Rolling Strike is a roll from a prone position designed to sweep the target off there feat. This manuver can only be used from a prone position. The final damage (the fall) is considered generic full body damage, and it automatly hits the legs.

Silkworm Block, Dodge, and Escape usaly are dependent on motion to use. If the user is considered totaly imoble, then thay can not use the manuvers. Note that totaly imoble means more bound then simply tied to a pole or chair. The rule of thumb is, if the target can still strugle and be in motion, thay are considered to have enougth motion to use theas manuvers (which is great with Silkworm Escape, which can save the damsel from unwanted groaping).

See' date=' and here I was thinking you'd press it against the guy's torso. Am I the only one here with a :eg: at the thought of some villianous cad attempting to have his way with a "poor helpless Young Maiden", only to have his grey matter smeared across the drawing room wall?[/quote']

Yes, well, it'd certainly give you something to talk about at the next bridge party.

"Oh, Emily you've had the wallpaper done! It looks lovely."

"Well, we just had to, you know. You remember Reginald, the Emerson's youngest?...."

cheers, Mark

• 11 months later...