Red Stars: campaign

greymankle

Re: Red Stars: campaign

Oh...absolutely. Love the backstory. I hope I can live up to the high standard that you put up there. Good name, I like Nathan...its different in this day and age. Names are very important to me, they are the first inkling of the character. Somehow this character named Ichabod Crabgrass wouldn't have worked .

I'm sure you'll be able to handle the leadership role well. Glad you like the name.

A very good friend of mine in NYC was LRRP in Viet Nam '67-'69 (pretty hairy two tours)...so it would be an honor to even playact in that tradition.

A LRRP in Viet Nam? Woah, scary. Now I'm nervous I do it justice. Tell him thanks for me.

Remember that your background is in LRRP. Currently you are a Red Star. Some missions will play on the LRRP Training others wont.

One question, does the Mindlink with my squaddies also show some of the

terrain that is reasonable to know? Like if we had a tenement building floorplan scanned in and loaded up? Obviously, if a deep valley of Gandymede has never been mapped... no go. This is a classic cyberpunk/military punk trope. And I think the modern military is getting prety close to that. But I'm not sure how one does that... Neil?

Do you mean like a heads up display of their GPS locations? I could see that. A grid coordinate is useless without a map to match it too. We use something similar out here where you can get a real time sattelite photo of your troops/ enemy troops. Of course it isn't inside a bionic eye but you get the point. As long as it was something that you uploaded yourself. You would need to find blueprints from another source. This wont let you see out of their eyes.

Also, does LRRP have any training with vehicles? Starships? Do we crosstrain on that stuff, or is that the Navy's domain still.

well the military has congealed into one large organization encompassing, Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force, police, CIA, FBI, DEA, and any other acronyms I can't think of right now. I'm saying as a LRRP guy you will have a knowledge of basic miltary equipment types and such. But the more complicated piloting of said vehicles will be under someone else. Of course you will know how to drive though. Even in the future the military wont let anyone take a plane and go. Each starship has a pilot. You may have knowledge of one but not the skills. I'm leaving that to the driving guy. (if anybody picks one) I'm trying to write up a base package that all Red Stars will have. I'm thinking something similar to the Green Beret in DC but modified heavily.

I would imagine SMGs would be an important tool for Nathan when in full military regalia. He needs to be lightly equiped... but pistols don't have the range or the volume of fire that is needed on a modern battlefield... I would imagine... unless more power is coming in small packages in your day and age.

Remember that Red Stars shouldn't be heading into a modern battlefield as regular troops. As a LRRP guy you have knowledge of the SMG equivalent. If needed during Red Star duty you can grab one but it isn't "ol' reliable" that you take to every interveiw. Unless you want to and then I can deal with it. If a Red Star is bunkered down on the front lines something has gone seriously wrong. They're skills would better serve behind enemy lines. And yes if you were dropped in behind the lines I could see you having the SMG equivalent.

Really cool stuff!

Write up Neils!!! I can't wait to see!!!!

[/Quote]

Working on it. Had to go to the lab for this one post. Once I can get my computer back up I'll post it.

-Peace

I've ruled that if a character has purchased High Range Radio Transmit/Receive (or whatever that specific Sense is called, don't have a book with me) then they can receive images on a HUD as well as sounds... so then they can see whatever can be beamed to them by C&C. (Serenity has this... and Gearhead had it... the Darkhawks have this.)

You can rule otherwise, but that has worked for me. This way you don't have to worry about all kinds of nuances in terms of points, just that with this ability, they can receive uplinked data if you (the GM) feels it would be appropriate for them to have it.

Sounds like a plan. Here's how I wanted to the communication to work. C&C has mindlink with Nathan. Nathan has mindlink with Other party members. Party members have radios that can communicate with each other, Nathan or C&C on the proper channel. but the mindlink is more secure, preffered blah blah blah. Of course the team needs to have back up coms if Nathan goes down. All soldiers in the military have a tracking locator on them. Nathan has the ability to see the locations of his troops superimposed on whatever map he has available.

-Peace

Sounds like a plan. Here's how I wanted to the communication to work. C&C has mindlink with Nathan. Nathan has mindlink with Other party members. Party members have radios that can communicate with each other, Nathan or C&C on the proper channel. but the mindlink is more secure, preffered blah blah blah. Of course the team needs to have back up coms if Nathan goes down. All soldiers in the military have a tracking locator on them. Nathan has the ability to see the locations of his troops superimposed on whatever map he has available.

-Peace

IMO, this is easy. The Mindlink is paid for with points. Radios are equipment. If the HUD is part of the mindlink, then Nathan pays points for it (built into his cyber-eye, whatever)... but if it is a helmet or goggles, it could be equipment.

Up to you.

Glad you are back inside the wire.

Later

I definately will have Nathan pay points for the mindlink. Other Radios will be bought with RP.

How would you stat out the disguise power? Low level shape shift? I don't want it to be able to create an exact duplicate. Just change nationality and apperance for the undercover missions he has done in the past and will do in the future.

-Peace

I definately will have Nathan pay points for the mindlink. Other Radios will be bought with RP.

How would you stat out the disguise power? Low level shape shift? I don't want it to be able to create an exact duplicate. Just change nationality and apperance for the undercover missions he has done in the past and will do in the future.

-Peace

Shape shift is where I'd start. This is one area where the 5th Edtion rule change works in the character's favor, because unlike superhero stuff where the character somehow literaly changes on a molecular level, this is simply changing surface look, texture, color. Basically shape-shift jsut vs. sight... not vs, smell or anything like that. Likely easy and cheap to buy.

Ok here's the second character Special Agent Anthony Walker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow the money. Every job had a trail of transactions. Every crook had his payday. Corporal Anthony Walker knew this better than any man on the base. After all it’s how they caught him. In his youth CPL. Walker was a high level fence. He was well known and good at his job. He knew the people, he knew the jobs. If you had some weapons you needed unloaded he was the man. Armor? Vehicles? If he couldn’t get it he knew someone who could. He’s mixed company with Mafia Dons and common thugs. He’s met CEO’s with huge defense contracts and lowly coffee girls just making due. In his mind they are all the same. Each one puts his pants on one leg at a time.

Anthony’s downfall came in the form of a request for a hover bike. The contact wanted it tricked out and ready for any work that may come up. Of course Anthony had just the guy. Once the bike was made they arraigned the meeting. Anthony showed up with the bike. His contact, Dark Moon, came by with the cash. Well Dark Moon had apparently spent more time tattooing his handle to his right arm then he had in actual work. The cops followed Dark Moon right to the meet. As soon as the exchange was made they descended. Dark Moon already had the bike, so he was off to the races. Anthony tried to run to his car but the cops cut him off. They took the money, and they took his reputation. After they beat him senseless of course.

Anthony was sentenced 10-15 years in Arcanus Correctional. He wasn’t a violent criminal so he didn’t land in maximum security. Now when he was working, Anthony never saw a need for handles or fake names. In his mind they just got in the way. You could argue a little anonymity would have helped his situation but here in the A.C. he had his friends. He was owed enough favors for enough jobs that his time was fairly easy. The only beatings he got were from the guards. Once he found out that a certain guard liked wine from a hard to reach vineyard in Mars. Well, even those beatings stopped. Prison seemed to fit Anthony pretty well. The gym was available to those with good records. Or those with good bribes. Anthony had both.

He had always enjoyed physical combat. He picked fights with kids on his block. When he was older he joined a martial arts school to help him protect himself at meets. If you got caught with a gun you were deemed violent. But here in the A.C. he was taught things about hand to hand you would never learn in a studio. He had almost forgotten about life on the outside. He spent his days in the gym sparring or out in the yard making deals. When Lieutenant Colonel MacMillen came to his cell, he hadn’t the foggiest idea what it could mean.

LTC. MacMillen had a job for him. The military was expanding it needs through out the AE’s. Supply lines are tough to maintain and the military wanted a new solution. They were forming a team to find and authorize military black market dealers. People that military personnel could go to incognito, to re-supply without breaking cover or coming back to a base. They wanted Anthony to advise. He was sentenced for 10-15 in the A.C, he only spent 3. For his efforts in creating the network his was granted a pardon and a job in the military if he wanted it. After working with the military he knew his criminal network was over. Why not try the military?

His prior criminal record limited his choice of jobs. So he landed in the place he knew he’d be anyway: supply. His job as a paper pusher did not sit well. Acquiring thing legally was not nearly as fun as illegally. His military record was prefect. Excellent shot, good reviews. He even won the base boxing tournament. Anthony’s 4 year military contract was coming to a close. He knew he wouldn’t get promoted, he couldn’t get another job, so he was looking to get out. 2 weeks before he was out he was called into , now, Colonel MacMillen’s office. Once again MacMillen was saving him from boredom with a job offer. Col. MacMillen was heading up the creation of the third Red Star team. They would need someone familiar with “acquisitions and procurement†and was curious if Anthony wanted the job. He was packed and ready in one hour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil? Thoughts? If you're not ok with the prior criminal part we can change it. I thought it accomplished both, grace under pressure and the dealer/fixer part.

any other lurkers? thoughts?

-Peace

As for powers, SA Walker will be fairly competent in HTH. Some bioware help makes him able to bring a knife to a gun fight. Well at least a handgun fight. Light armor to not constrict movement. Decent presence. He'll have some Perks to let him spend RP on street level or maybe military gear. Of course they can get what they need from the base. but "if" they end up stranded somewhere he'll be able to make do. Anthony will probably have the least metal cyberware of the group. Most of his stuff will be bioware. Cyberware tends to make brute fighters, SA Walker has more skill than brute force.

Skills: Anthony will have a variety. Lot's of KS and contacts. streetwise (obviously) He'll probably end up being the most well rounded. Not the master at anything but dealmaking. And that's hard to put in a skill. I may give him some light weaponsmithing/armorsmithing mostly for maintance reasons.

-peace

Walker sounds like great fun too! Damn, Grey, you get down great backgrounds. With these two, sure, we can do firefights a bunker 12....but it seems like their real strength is canvasing the stardocks looking for an illegal arms buy.

One question on Nathan... do we have dozens of languages and dialects in space? (ala Firefly, if you ever saw it, Chinese and English were in equal proportion)... or has the gateway mechanic of English being the language of science really filtered a lot of languages out of the AE. YOu might have mentioned this and I"m just blanking. But if there are lots of dialects and languages, Nathan better have some training in those or it doesn't matter what his face looks like, when Louisiana drawl or Minnisota twang comes outta his mouth. :winkgrin: (not that he is from Louisiana or Minnisota, just using those as dialect extremes).

Walker sounds like great fun too! Damn' date=' Grey, you get down great backgrounds. [/quote']

Thanks! Brigit's is giving me fits though. may take another day or so.

With these two, sure, we can do firefights a bunker 12....but it seems like their real strength is canvasing the stardocks looking for an illegal arms buy.

I'm hoping that by the end of character creation you guys should feel that your team can take any challenge. After all you are Red Stars. Each character should have a niche ready to be called into action. But outside their niche they are still a competant team member. One guy can find him, another tracks him, another sets the explosives. I really want establish a sense of teamwork in this game.

One question on Nathan... do we have dozens of languages and dialects in space? (ala Firefly, if you ever saw it, Chinese and English were in equal proportion)... or has the gateway mechanic of English being the language of science really filtered a lot of languages out of the AE. YOu might have mentioned this and I"m just blanking. But if there are lots of dialects and languages, Nathan better have some training in those or it doesn't matter what his face looks like, when Louisiana drawl or Minnisota twang comes outta his mouth. :winkgrin: (not that he is from Louisiana or Minnisota, just using those as dialect extremes).

Good point. I'm thinking English will be fairly prominent. It's the language of bussiness. The various cultures of present earth still exist. English is at least a second language for most people. Some AE's might have developed Chinese or Japanese as it's dominant language. So language skills can be added to Nathan's list of skills. Easy enough with headware memory. Plus maybe a little mimicry for those accents. When you hear you can do it sort of a thing.

I like the character perfectly. Love the last name Walker... though I was thinking something something like "Graham" for the first name. Sounds a bit "upper crust" which is why he'd use it straight... it added class to his image.

The criminal piece is perfect, as is the focus on HtH for self defense purposes. I see him as being very reticent to start anything, but relatively capable of finishing it. His thrill comes from the "art of the deal" rather than conflict.

One thing I didn't understand (not a bigee) is the piece about his original military recruitment. If he was to be an advisor on "off book procurement" then how did he end up pushing papers in Supply?

One thing that I think would be cool is that he has a "Cover Job" in the military. He has a junior grade, regular army officer rank... and he travels from base to base, part of an Inventory Control team, checking supplies and manifests and parts and that kind of thing. His job is specialized (nobody else on the team knows he's a Red Star) in that he goes off on his own, tracking leads on smuggling or simple graft. What he is doing, then, is working to create a network. He doesn't bust the shady supply sergeant... he basically recruits him (unknowing to the sergeant) into a growing web of "Can get it. Anytime, anywhere." types of people.

This kind of thing happens when the Red Stars "stand down" from ops... but he is so flexible, that if the team is needed to go-live, he can be there.

I just see this as a very necessary part of his character, in order to be effective. I think a TON of points will go into contacts and Favors, negotiation and business skills, a strong Presence for getting folks to listen to him, etc. I'm fine with being the lesser combatant. I figure high tech equipment can help him keep up with the really balls-nasty guys, even if any one of them could kick his ass without breaking a sweat.

Probably only submitted to the most minimal required bio-implants, as having that kind of topgrade wetware inside you, if detected, might set off people he's trying to deal with.

Cool. I've missed Cyberpunk. The '90s really killed that good ol' dark bleak man-machine future depicted in the 80s. Looking forward to playing this.

So language skills can be added to Nathan's list of skills. Easy enough with headware memory. Plus maybe a little mimicry for those accents. When you hear you can do it sort of a thing.

Sounds good to me.

cyberpunk is not dead. It seems to be making a revival. Cyberpunk 3.0 is being playtested now (there is a thread on RPGnet) and from the sounds of it, it has made a lot of folks happy. Like the best of Interlock & Fuzion....if you can imagine that.

Not that Red Stars should be Cyberpunk (R.Tal's system)... I think if you want to keep that Paranormal edge, Hero/Champions does that better... I suspect. I say that not having seen the Cyberpunk 3.0 playtest.

Also, I own GoO's Ex Machina. There are about 4 campaign worlds in it... and I think 3 of them are outstanding. They really delve into how Cyberpunk has evolved, but isn't *really* dead. One campaign concerns a orbital "beanstalk" that sounds like it could fit easily into Red Star's past. I'll be happy to lend it to you, Grey, when you get stateside. Its got some really cool ideas to mine... even though I'm not a big fan of GoO's tri-stat system.

And in a way, I think this new age of "Flat World" ala Thomas Freidman and global terrorism... makes Cyberpunk one economic/natural calamity away. So I think some of the issues of Cyberpunk are still quite relevant. Some are not... the new wave thang of the 80s is a bit played out... granted... so the "punk" aspect is somewhat missing. But genetic engineering, VR, networking, outsourcing, corporate espionage, privatization of gov't functions... all of this is happening in the Real World.

Cyberpunk and/or Red Stars might be catagorized more as social science fiction with a bit of John Woo action now and then... and not be the "true" definition of Cpunk... but I think the moniker has stuck and can mean Matrix to video game concepts like Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.

sorry for hijacking the thread.... we return you to your previously scheduled Red Stars Installments. Please reBoot your systems and reJaX your mind.

I like the character perfectly. Love the last name Walker... though I was thinking something something like "Graham" for the first name. Sounds a bit "upper crust" which is why he'd use it straight... it added class to his image.

Easy enough; done

The criminal piece is perfect, as is the focus on HtH for self defense purposes. I see him as being very reticent to start anything, but relatively capable of finishing it. His thrill comes from the "art of the deal" rather than conflict.

Right he's the guy who just uses as much force as is required.

One thing I didn't understand (not a bigee) is the piece about his original military recruitment. If he was to be an advisor on "off book procurement" then how did he end up pushing papers in Supply?

Originally I had his job as sort of a one shot contractor. It got him out of jail if he went "state side evidence" with his contacts. At least the ones that would work for the military. Then that job ended, he was out of jail with nothing to do. Might as well go into the military.

One thing that I think would be cool is that he has a "Cover Job" in the military. He has a junior grade, regular army officer rank... and he travels from base to base, part of an Inventory Control team, checking supplies and manifests and parts and that kind of thing. His job is specialized (nobody else on the team knows he's a Red Star) in that he goes off on his own, tracking leads on smuggling or simple graft. What he is doing, then, is working to create a network. He doesn't bust the shady supply sergeant... he basically recruits him (unknowing to the sergeant) into a growing web of "Can get it. Anytime, anywhere." types of people.

ok I can see that. so instead of leaving his contract job he laterally moves into a continuing support role of the Authorized Black Market Dealors. works there for a few years then gets the offer for Red Star. Now to clarify most of the dealors he knows about are back alley types. Not military personel. I can still see him travelling to bases to see which Sargeants had enough street smarts to be of use. This he could be doing as the junior officer. Some butterbar somewhere. I like the growing web analogy. I'm thinking it will be tough to maintain the alter-ego. I could see you travelling as a Red Star but that wouldn't work well either. What about a trusted partner? With your promotion someone had to fill your shoes. He/She is completely your lapdog though. Reports on findings directly to you. They would be compentent, hand picked by you to fill your shoes. Not a DNPC just a more trusted contact or maybe follower? Graham's expertise is in real world black market contacts, this guy knows military more than him. maybe?

This kind of thing happens when the Red Stars "stand down" from ops... but he is so flexible, that if the team is needed to go-live, he can be there.

Well one of the myths of Red Star teams is that "They never Sleep" They are the ultimate QRF. So moving around the base weaving your web is ok. Moving too far out or off-planet doesn't work as well. But when ever the Red Stars visit another base you could take some time for a little spinning. I would say visiting another base is a good replacement for being hit on the head with a dictionary. But we play at your house. You're always there.

I just see this as a very necessary part of his character, in order to be effective. I think a TON of points will go into contacts and Favors, negotiation and business skills, a strong Presence for getting folks to listen to him, etc. I'm fine with being the lesser combatant. I figure high tech equipment can help him keep up with the really balls-nasty guys, even if any one of them could kick his ass without breaking a sweat.

I agree. You should have a constant network being nutured. I just think it will grow easier with a deputy tilling the ground. You have already created an established base when it was your job. The hard part is done. The new guy just does maintnance.

Probably only submitted to the most minimal required bio-implants, as having that kind of topgrade wetware inside you, if detected, might set off people he's trying to deal with.

Well he's a high end fighter now. a little below where Damian was. Bioware will put him over the top. The only bioware I was going to give him was maybe some re-wiring of his nerves for added speed. Maybe some 'roids to build muslce. I can see him without it, though he'll be a lessor combatant.

Cool. I've missed Cyberpunk. The '90s really killed that good ol' dark bleak man-machine future depicted in the 80s. Looking forward to playing this.

Looking forward to playing it face to face.

we can keep ironing out the changes. once we agree I'll Edit the background to reflect it.

-Peace

Ok here's the first Character.

Special Agent Nathan Ramsey

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

15 STR 5 12- 200kg; 3d6

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6; DCV: 8

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

15 INT 5 12- PER Roll 12-

15 EGO 10 12- ECV: 5

15 PRE 5 12- PRE Attack 3d6

10 COM 0 11-

5 PD 2 Total PD/rPD: 11/6

5 ED 2 Total ED/rED: 11/6

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 0

30 END 0

30 STUN -1

Movement:

Runnning: 9"/18"

Swimming: 4"/8"

Leaping: 5"/10"

Cost Powers END/Roll

5 Nightvision ; Passive Sense

3 Flash Defense (Sight Group, 3 Pts)

5 Infrared Perception ; Passive Detect

2 Enhanced Perception: Sight (+2 to PER) ; Sense Category (Single Sense): ×1

3 Telescopic Sense Group (+2 Sight Group)

10 Radio Perception/Transmission ; Passive Detect

20 Mind Link: Squad Link ; Minds Involved (Related Group): +10; Number of Minds (8): +15; Distance (Any): +5; Dimension (Current): +0; No LOS Needed: +10; Only With Others Who Have Mind Link: -1

Cost Skills, Perks Roll

3 Acting 12-

3 Breakfall 13-

1 Bribery 8-

3 Climbing 13-

3 Combat Driving 13-

5 +1 Combat with Ranged Combat/Small Arms

3 +1 Combat with Small Arms

2 +1 Combat with Favorite Sidearm

3 Concealment 12-

10 +2 Combat with DCV Against All Attacks

Blending Effect of Skin

5 Disguise 13-

6 +3 Skill Level with Diguise

(from cybernetic skin)

1 Demolitions 8-

3 Mimicry 12-

2 Navigation; Base Category: Land Navigation (Orienteering) 12-

2 KS: BLADE Terrorist Organization 11-

1 Paramedic 8-

2 PS: Radio Communicator 11-

2 PS: Red Star 11-

5 Rapid Attack: Ranged

3 Stealth 13-

3 Shadowing 12-

3 Streetwise 12-

3 Systems Operation 12-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 13-

3 Tracking 12-

3 WF: Small Arms; (Small Arms) Small Arms: 2; (Knives) Blades: 1

3 Linguist

1 Arabic (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

1 French (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

1 German (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

2 Japanese (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

1 Italian (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

1 Russian (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

1 Spanish (Fluent Conversation); Fluency: Fluent Conversation; Literacy: Standard, 0

21 Commando Training

4 Martial Block (OCV +2, DCV +2, Block, Abort)

4 Martial Dodge (OCV --, DCV +5, Dodge, Abort)

4 Martial Strike (OCV +0, DCV +2, STR Strike, 5d6)

4 Martial Disarm (OCV -1, DCV +1, Disarm, STR 25)

5 Offensive Strike (OCV -2, DCV +1, STR Strike, 7d6)

Cost Talents Roll

15 Spatial Radar 12-

4 Digital Recorder; Retrocognition; Conditional Power: Power Only Works In Given Situation/Circumstance (Only for Memorized/Perceived info) (Very Uncommon): -2; Additional Sense (Normal Sight): +5; Additional Sense (Normal Hearing): +5

Only about 2 hours worth of footage

3 Lightning Calculator

5 Headware Memory; Conditional Power: Power Only Works In Given Situation/Circumstance (Only for uploaded information) (Ubiquitous): +0

10 Combat Luck (6 PD, 6 ED); Conditional Power: Power Only Works In Given Situation/Circumstance (Only while wearing Holo Clothes) (Extremely Common): -¼

150+ Disadvantages

10 In the Public Eye (As Powerful, 8-, Watching)

20 Subject To Orders (14-, Major)

5 Other Red Star Teams

10 Military Uniform (Concealable, Feature Is Noticed And Recognizable)

25 Hunted ??? (More Powerful, 8-, Harshly Punish)

15 Scans as Cybernetic

Equipment

Weapons

Costs: Char.: 94 Disad.: 85

Powers: + 206 Base: + 150

Total: = 300 Total: = 235

I'm leaving some slots of Disads open for Player imput. Weapons will be free equipment. Still deciding what's available.

Thoughts from the lurkers out there?

-Peace