Ninja Hero/Asian Bestiary

Sketchpad

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Susano

Oh no, 2003. I am a master of time and space after all.

Hmm ... if that's the case, then could you zip foward and grab me a copy of Fantasy Hero, Horror Hero and Danger International? Oh ... and my fiancee would like the lotto numbers for next week ... and we're hoping that the AB is in our mailbox :D

BTW -- if anyone has any good references for Asian monsters, ghosts, dragons, and assorted creatures, please let me know.

If you have anything you can send me, that's even better!

Mike,

Do you have this:

Jikininki

In Japanese myth, jikininki are demons, corpse-eaters, who eat dead human bodies. These demons are often the spirits of dead men or women whose greed prevented their souls from entering a more peaceful existence after death. They continue a half-life by devouring corpses. A particular myth tells of a strong-willed priest called Muso Kokushi who once kept watch near the body of a deceased person. Suddenly a jikininki arrived to devour it, but the priest's prayers liberated the demon's soul.

Originally posted by urbwar

Mike,

Do you have this:

Jikininki

In Japanese myth, jikininki are demons, corpse-eaters, who eat dead human bodies. These demons are often the spirits of dead men or women whose greed prevented their souls from entering a more peaceful existence after death. They continue a half-life by devouring corpses. A particular myth tells of a strong-willed priest called Muso Kokushi who once kept watch near the body of a deceased person. Suddenly a jikininki arrived to devour it, but the priest's prayers liberated the demon's soul.

They are on the list of "things to write up."

I recently found (on line) a big list of things from the Philippines, and am really trying to find some "offical" material on them...

My official apologies to Ubwar. I diden't mean to insult you.

As for what is the "official" take on oriental vampiers, I beleve that, like there ocidental cousands, there is no real "true" vampier. There ARE lots of difrent stories in which thay all have simuler abilities, thoe. The most simuler is the drinking of blood, but even that is questioned. It is more likely that a Vampier can be defined as "Any undead / evil spirit creacher which 'eats' the life force / blood / chi / breath of the living".

My question is: Mike, are you going to follow the Hero System Beastery path, and print only non-intelegent and semi-intelegent beast? That can be problmatic, for even in legions, even the most lowly monster can comunicate with humans.

Hear is a short list of sourses for you to try.

1) Orental Adventers (TSR, for Dungions And Dragons 3rd Edition): Great beastery in the back of the book.

2) Monsters Of Rokugen (Again, for DND 3erd): Another beastery, this time focusing more on the world of Legions Of The Five Rings.

3) Legions Of The Five Rings: Prehaps the most compleat RPG about fanticy Japan ever.

4) Sandman: The Dream Hunters (DC): A reteling of the clasic story The Monk, The Fox, And The Mikido Of All Night's Dreaming. Excelent artwork by the ilistrator of Vampier Hunter D novals.

5) Yu Yu Hisneko (Shoen Jump, and Cartoon Network's Tusnami block): Again, a difrent take on Japanies Myth, in the moderen day.

6) 3X3 Eyes (Dark Horse): This time, it is hindu myth.

7) Blue Seed (AD Visions): A look at the legion of the Yamato No Orichi, and it's relationship with monsters all over Japan.

8) Oger Slayer (Viz): Oni take the spotlight in this one.

9) The Mermaid Saga (Viz): The oriental mermaids (Nihgo?) are featured in this one.

10) Princess Monomoko (Beur Vista): Prehaps the best look at Monomoko ("spirit of things", a type of Kami) which we westerners will EVER see.

Of course, this list is nowhere complete. And, chances are, Susano has seen most (if not all) of the items on the list before. Anyone else want to add something to it?

They are on the list of "things to write up."

I recently found (on line) a big list of things from the Philippines, and am really trying to find some "offical" material on them...

Mike,

Do you go to rpg.net at all? There is a poster there who is from the Phillipines, and he posted some links for a comic company that is doing comics based on Phillipine myths. He might be able to help you out. His screen name there is pointyman2000 (I think; I know it's pointyman with numbers at the end)

Originally posted by steriaca

My official apologies to Ubwar. I diden't mean to insult you.

I didn't take it as one, so no worries.

As for what is the "official" take on oriental vampiers, I beleve that, like there ocidental cousands, there is no real "true" vampier. There ARE lots of difrent stories in which thay all have simuler abilities, thoe. The most simuler is the drinking of blood, but even that is questioned. It is more likely that a Vampier can be defined as "Any undead / evil spirit creacher which 'eats' the life force / blood / chi / breath of the living".

I think some "vampires" in Asia are really Gaki, the hungry ghosts. The similarities are there, so they all get lumped in as cultural examples of vampires.

My question is: Mike, are you going to follow the Hero System Beastery path, and print only non-intelegent and semi-intelegent beast? That can be problmatic, for even in legions, even the most lowly monster can comunicate with humans.

The Asian bestiary will have all sorts of stuff, both intellgent and non.

Hear is a short list of sourses for you to try.

(SNIP)

Of course, this list is nowhere complete. And, chances are, Susano has seen most (if not all) of the items on the list before. Anyone else want to add something to it?

The problem here, is that these are mostly gaming resources, which I want to avoid. I want to get to the original sources. Here is my current list of sources:

Aldis, Stephen, ed. Japanese Ghosts & Demons.

Allan, Tony and Charles Phillips. Land of the Dragon: Chinese Myth.

Allan, Tony, Michael Kerrigan and Charles Phillips. Realm of the Rising Sun: Japanese Myth.

Barber, Richard and Anne Riches. A Dictionary of Fabulous Beasts.

Borges, Jorge Luis. The Book of Imaginary Beings.

Bryant, Anthony and Mark Arsenault. Sengoku.

Coleman, Loren and Jerome Clark. Cryptozoology A to Z.

Coleman, Loren and Patrick Huyghe. The Field Guide to Bigfoot, Yeti, and Other Mystery Primates Worldwide.

Davis, F. Hadland. Myths and Legends of Japan.

Drnnys, Nicholas B. The Folklore of China.

Gould, Charles. Mythical Monsters.

Grate, Lane. GURPS Blood Types.

Guiley, Rosemary Ellen. The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits.

Hardin, Terri, ed. Myths and Folktales from Around the World.

Hogarth, Peter and Val Clery. Dragons.

Iwasaka, Michiko and Barre Toelken. Ghosts and the Japanese.

Kane, Thomas M. GURPS China.

Hearn, Lafcadio. Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things.

Knappert, Jan. Indian Mythology.

Knappert, Jan. Pacific Mythology.

Mack, Carole K. and Dinah Mack. A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels, and Other Subversive Spirits.

Mackenzie, Donald A. Myths of China and Japan.

Melton, J. Gordon. The Vampire Book.

Nigg, Jospeh. The Book of Fabulous Beasts.

O’Sullivan, Stephen. GURPS Fantasy Bestiary.

Page, Michael and Robert Ingpen. Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were.

Piggot, Juliet. Japanese Mythology.

Rose, Carol. Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth.

Rose, Carol. Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia.

Ross, Catrien. Supernatural and Mysterious Japan.

Shucker, Doctor Karl. Dragons: A Natural History.

Spengler, Egon. Tobin’s Spirit Guide.

Steiger, Brad. The Werewolf Book.

Turnbull, Don, Ed. Fiend Folio.

Originally posted by urbwar

Mike,

Do you go to rpg.net at all? There is a poster there who is from the Phillipines, and he posted some links for a comic company that is doing comics based on Phillipine myths. He might be able to help you out. His screen name there is pointyman2000 (I think; I know it's pointyman with numbers at the end)

Sorry, I don't, so I don't know if I will be able to get in touch with him or not...

You may want to see if you can get the attention of KawangaKid, here on the Hero boards, with him being from (or at least, in) the Phillippines, and all.

Doug's right, KawangaKid has posted several descriptions of creatures from Phillipine folklore to these boards in the past. If he's not actually an authority, he might know of some good sources.

I noticed when I searched his past posts that he has the Private Message function active - perhaps you could drop him a request.

About aisan vampiers...I am reminded of some sort of Korien undead critter who's touch can cause miscarages in pregnet women. I forgot the name of this one, thoe. Is it Dab Tsung?

Anyways, it would proably be a transformation attack (Pergnet Person to Pregnet Person Which Miscared. I would describ it as a Major Transformation, since, in my understanding, the taking of life, even one still in development, is equal to a Killing Attack).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't, so I don't know if I will be able to get in touch with him or not...

Actually, Pointyman2000 is also active sometimes on this board! He's a member of my gaming group for Cthulhu, HERO, and others.

Didja get my 2 e-mails, by the way?

Originally posted by KawangaKid

Actually, Pointyman2000 is also active sometimes on this board! He's a member of my gaming group for Cthulhu, HERO, and others.

Didja get my 2 e-mails, by the way?

If you sent them to me, no. My address is susano@guisarme.net.I'm looking for info on a whole host of creatures fromthe Phillippines, including the boroka, the bungisngis, the pugot/pogot, the buso, and the tikabalang -- and that's just for starters.

Re: A Tikbalang

Originally posted by KawangaKid

Well, just to fire the imagination...

A Tikbalang is a creature with the body of a man and the head of a horse. Here's a pic of one... note the copyright.

Coooool. Do you have any information on its habits?

Tikbalangs

Actually, I'm talking to a friend of ours who's doing research on them. The problem with wading through the documents is that reports are sketchy.

I know that some say they're wild creatures, some say demonic in nature, that like to ambush travellers (at night, naturally). They're deadly in hand-to-hand combat, powerful, and seem to burn with an inner fire (smell of burning hair, smoke rising from nostrils, fiery eyes).

Others say they can also cause things like upset stomachs, or that they're harmless and like to show themselves (in a frightening visage) to people that they like.

We've uncovered that there are apparently no reports of the Tikbalangs before the Spaniards came over to colonize the place... and since horses ain't native to the Philippines... it's something to ponder.

Anyway, we'll try to put together the various versions - you choose the type that's most appropriate for the bestiary.

By the way, lots of folks in the province still believe that these things (along with manananggals, aswangs, kapres, etc.) are real.