Aborting to protect someone else

Lord Liaden

Question

Hello, Steve.

Over on the HERO System Discussion board we were recently examining the issue of someone being able to use an Action to move right past a character and attack someone that said character was supposedly protecting. I proposed an option, and found several rulings in 5E and the FAQ which seemed to support allowing it. Since I was interpreting official rules, though, I thought it would be appropriate to request an official ruling on my proposal. :)

If you missed the thread in question and would like to check it, it's here, and the rules I looked up are quoted on Post #15.

Anyway, here's my question: Given that a GM may allow a character to Abort to an Action defending another character, would it be permissable to Abort to a Half or Full Move solely to interpose yourself between an attacker and another person in order to protect that person? If so, and given that you can Abort to more than one defensive Action at a time provided they aren't mutually exclusive, could you Abort to a Half Move as above, and follow it with a defensive Maneuver such as Block or Missile Deflection?

As always, thanks for taking the time to answer us.

1 answer to this question

Re: Aborting to protect someone else

Since the action in question is only allowable with the GM's permission, it follows that the rules leave it to the GM to decide what sort of action he'll allow. However, note that the text suggests as an example "step[ping] in front of an attack," so the possibility of moving as part of the defensive action is clearly contemplated.