Rep Points?

AnotherSkip

Re: Rep Points?

So that's where that "Reputation beyond repute" nonsense came from. I think that's a misnomer. It should be "Reputation beyond reproach". The former just doesn't make sense.

As for what are rep points?

They're a game. And anybody who puts a game on a site dedicated to gaming shouldn't be surprised when it becomes an obsession.

Keith "First page again, baybee" Curtis

Just what in the bloody blue blazes are these?

Two different things, really, and I'm not sure which you're asking about. More detailed explainations have already been given on some aspects by others, so I'll just do a quick summation of the two different types.

Rep Power is the number of rep points you give to someone when you 'rep' one of their posts.

Rep Score (which nobody but you can see) is the total number of rep points you've received.

...I just wasn't sure which of the above you were asking about. :)

The rep titles are based on your rep score, so while someone can get a general idea of your rep score based on your rep title, they won't know the exact number. The row of green boxes also provides a clue -- one per every 100 rep or fraction thereof, I think -- it's been a while since I read how those were allocated -- but the number of boxes stop growing and their color stops changing after a certain point, so they're not the best indicator, either.

Mechanically speaking, in order to rep someone, click on the "scales" icon at the top right of their post, enter in a comment in the pop-up box, and submit it. Your rep power will be added to their rep score, and they'll be able to read your comment in their User CP.

You can only give out rep to 5 different people within a given 24 hour period, and once you rep someone you must rep 20 other people before you're allowed to rep them again.

They are the points you give to another person when you rep them when they say something you find interesting' date=' funny, insightful, etc. I guess the more points you have the more interesting, funny, and insightful a person you are. :)[/quote']

Or you are a female poster... or someone claiming to be a hot, lipstick lesbian gamer couple... then you get a ton of rep just for posting "RoXXOR!" or, really, for posting just about anything at all. :thumbdown

Or you are a female poster... or someone claiming to be a hot' date=' lipstick lesbian gamer couple... then you get a ton of rep just for posting "RoXXOR!" or, really, for posting just about anything at all. :thumbdown[/quote']

But there's no bitterness here. ;)

Keith "If it's a game, some folks play to win" Curtis

Or you are a female poster... or someone claiming to be a hot' date=' lipstick lesbian gamer couple... then you get a ton of rep just for posting "RoXXOR!" or, really, for posting just about anything at all. :thumbdown[/quote']

HEY!

Do not.

I mean, my rep's down to a trickle lately, especially when you consider my increased posting rate.

Maybe people are getting sick of me . . . :think:

Sure. And that means some will "cheat"' date=' too. (shrug)[/quote']

There are rules? I mean ones you can break? Short of making 20 LOL accounts and going through a rep-fest every five days, I don't know of any way you can cheat. And even in the LOL accounts scenario, it would never go undetected by Ben.

Keith "Ben, I'm sorry if anyone makes 20 LOL accounts and goes through a rep-fest every five days due to my post" Curtis

PS. I suppose it's possible to create a secret pact of rep traders, but again, is that cheating?

There are rules? I mean ones you can break? Short of making 20 LOL accounts and going through a rep-fest every five days, I don't know of any way you can cheat. And even in the LOL accounts scenario, it would never go undetected by Ben.

Keith "Ben, I'm sorry if anyone makes 20 LOL accounts and goes through a rep-fest every five days due to my post" Curtis

PS. I suppose it's possible to create a secret pact of rep traders, but again, is that cheating?

What I was referring to was creating what is essentially a lol account -- an account for a person/persona radically at varience with your own -- but posting as if it is (and insisting that it is) a "real" person/persona, not a "lol" account.

I suppose many would consider that "cheating", in that it 'breaks the unwritten rules' -- which, as we both know, are the most dangerous kind of rules. ;) Hegemony forever!!!!

HEY!

Do not.

I mean, my rep's down to a trickle lately, especially when you consider my increased posting rate.

Maybe people are getting sick of me . . . :think:

No, it's far worse than that, Alice: You've finally become "one of the guys." :shock:

Perhaps you should adopt a "bouncier" avatar :snicker: or one which displays more cleavage to remind people you're woman? (Don't hurt me!)

;)

No, it's far worse than that, Alice: You've finally become "one of the guys." :shock:

Perhaps you should adopt a "bouncier" avatar :snicker: or one which displays more cleavage to remind people you're woman? (Don't hurt me!)

;)

Ah, yes. "One of the guys." It was bound to happen, eventually . . .

Y'know, you may have something there . . . :think:

^ v ~

PS. I suppose it's possible to create a secret pact of rep traders' date=' but again, is that cheating?[/quote']

So what you are talking about is a secret society of individuals dealing in black market reputations points. Umm....I see new HERO conversion coming. :snicker:

...and what does RoXXor mean' date=' and should I be including it in more of my posts?[/quote']

http://members.cox.net/core-resources/Db_SWG_Glossary.htm

Roxxors: An expletive meaning, "It rocks!". Dewd Speak chat term.

Suxxors: An expletive meaning, "It sucks!". Dewd Speak chat term.

:hush:

As for "should I be including it in more of my posts?" IMNSHO the answer is "Hell No!". English is an endangered enough language as it is. :tsk:

Not to mention that terms like

twinking: Gaming term. The act of giving powerful equipment to lower level characters who could not have obtained the equipment at their current level of advancement.

Have VERY different meanings in other social contexts like say, social-sexual relations... :nonp:

Using slang that means one thing to you and another thing to another is a good way to end up in a brawl... :no:

...or with a "date" not of your sexual and/or species preference... :fear: