Anthropomorphic/Furry HERO Resources

TheQuestionMan

Re: Anthropomorphic/Furry HERO Resources

By great background material' date=' I was thinking more inline of how it discussed the Golden Age of Piracy, not how imaginative it was as a world setting. It does cover details GURPS Swashbuckler's leaves out, for example.[/quote']

Oh, sorry for jumping to conclusions. And you are right about the background material -- it even mentioned indentured servitude, which was the first place I could remember seeing that outside my high school history of PA class.

Though I do wonder about something else in FP -- in a world where all the main prey animals are sentient, then what do the carnivores eat?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We played a Jadeclaw game and went to fairly high levels. At a certain point the game seemed to break. It was a lot of fun, though we rarely got too deeply into the furry theme. Different races were used to note people and houses. One time there was a small bit of racism as my character (a lynx) was derisively refered to as the snake of the cat family. I think Iron/Jadeclaw has a nice system and break down for animals, but I would prefer to port it into Hero and change a few things. ;)

Would Carl Barks Disney characters count as "Furries"? :straight:

Also, no mention of the old "Justifiers" RPG? I had fun playing it back in the days. I heard rumors of an upcoming new edition, but I can't find a link right now.

Oh, sorry for jumping to conclusions. And you are right about the background material -- it even mentioned indentured servitude, which was the first place I could remember seeing that outside my high school history of PA class.

Though I do wonder about something else in FP -- in a world where all the main prey animals are sentient, then what do the carnivores eat?

Non sentient furries?

Note -- in USAGI YOJIMBO they eat lizards, turtles, fish, and so on.

Though I do wonder about something else in FP -- in a world where all the main prey animals are sentient' date=' then what do the carnivores eat?[/quote']In a lot of the set-ups I've seen, there are sentient and non-sentient versions. Typically the sentient versions are closer to human-sized (either larger or smaller than the 'normal' animal), walk on two legs, etc. The non-sentient versions are what we'd think of as "normal" animals. The non-sentients get eaten by predators, exactly as you'd expect, but the sentients are supposed to be off-limits.

There was a comic book back in '89 or so, about an anthro'd wolf and an anthro'd bear in some post apoc. setting. I thought it looked awfully cool, and I can't remember the name of it. Twilight something or other? Dawn something or other? Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm hoping to jog someone else's memory.

My favorite take on this is Bill Holbrook's Kevin and Kell. There's an extensive online archive somewhere, I'm sure somebody will sneak by and provide a link for those too lazy to google it (like me) It's a modern day story of an internet entrepreneur who is a rabbit who ends up marrying a wolf divorcee. She has one son from her previous marriage (predictably enough, a wolf cub) and he has an acopted daughter (a porcupine) They also have another daughter who is the world's only carnivorous rabbit.

It's a long story.

Another comic which had some nice anthro races in it (also including lizard and insectoids) is Fusion which was primarily illustrated by Lela Dowling but also had some issues handled by Phil Foglio and many others. Track this down if you ever get a chance! (Especially if you are a Firefly fan)

Another comic which had some nice anthro races in it (also including lizard and insectoids) is Fusion which was primarily illustrated by Lela Dowling but also had some issues handled by Phil Foglio and many others. Track this down if you ever get a chance! (Especially if you are a Firefly fan)

Fusion was Lela Dowling and Steve Gallici. Great work and an interesting universe. I borrowed a lot from it for my attempt to build an SF setting.

I think it's been old hat, but I did discuss with J about this. He wanted an 'offical' HERO sourcebook in a vein similar to Usagi Yojimbo, and I mentioned to him about 'The World of the Eight Sages,' a Middle Kingdom-styled empire that was inhabited by 8 distinct furry races, each with a minor link to the very world they inhabit.

He, of course, was willing to pay for printing out of his pockets, if interest was high enough. Unfortuantly RL consipred with me and I haven't gotten much but a bare outline, some thoughts about the world itself, and what the 8 races looked like. I think his recent praise on my writing might help me a bit, but I just need to know where to start. The Chi magic section will be a pain to work out, that's for sure. :P

My favorite take on this is Bill Holbrook's Kevin and Kell. There's an extensive online archive somewhere' date=' I'm sure somebody will sneak by and provide a link for those too lazy to google it (like me) It's a modern day story of an internet entrepreneur who is a rabbit who ends up marrying a wolf divorcee. She has one son from her previous marriage (predictably enough, a wolf cub) and he has an acopted daughter (a porcupine) They also have another daughter who is the world's only carnivorous rabbit.[/quote']

Having designed the offical RPG for the series, I know a little something abotu Kevin & Kell. You did get a few things wrong:

1. Kell was a widow, not a divorcee. Kevin is the one who had gone through a previous divorce -- his ex-wife Angelique is a recurring character who often has great effects on the story.

2. Lindesfarne (the daughter) is a hedgehog, not a procupine. She was raised as a herbivorous procupine, but changed her registry to hedgehog and adopted a noctunral, insectivorious lifestyle.

3. Rudy (the son) is half-fox.

4. There is at least one other rabbit besides Coney who regularly eats meat, although she keeps it a secret.

the entire strip is archived at the Kevin & Kell website where you can learn about such other things as the Great Bird Conspiracy (the fans' name, not Bill's) and the truth about Lindesfarne.

I think it's been old hat, but I did discuss with J about this. He wanted an 'offical' HERO sourcebook in a vein similar to Usagi Yojimbo, and I mentioned to him about 'The World of the Eight Sages,' a Middle Kingdom-styled empire that was inhabited by 8 distinct furry races, each with a minor link to the very world they inhabit.

He, of course, was willing to pay for printing out of his pockets, if interest was high enough. Unfortuantly RL consipred with me and I haven't gotten much but a bare outline, some thoughts about the world itself, and what the 8 races looked like. I think his recent praise on my writing might help me a bit, but I just need to know where to start. The Chi magic section will be a pain to work out, that's for sure. :P

That sounds cool. You might be able to borrow elements from Susano's Feng Shui Conversions and I can't remember the BESM guy gall dern it.

I really like the sound of it. I saw a comic called Sharpei (Spelling wrong) and Dogs of War that had some potential.

Cheers

QM

That sounds cool. You might be able to borrow elements from Susano's Feng Shui Conversions and I can't remember the BESM guy gall dern it.

I really like the sound of it. I saw a comic called Sharpei (Spelling wrong) and Dogs of War that had some potential.

I'll look it up and see if it's close to what I want to do with Chi. Bear in mind that there's a reason why there are 'Eight Sages', as they are celestial beings that created the world and the races that followed. So a lot of I Ching influences come to bear in the setting. And I'm not crazy about BESM, so I shalln't bother.

I'm not familiar with those two comics, but it's not important. I do read up on Ozzy & Millie, though. :D

I think I'm gonna slant the sourcebook towards Wuxia/Dark Fantasy--it is an Age of Shadow that the players will start at, with demons and dark desires waiting to be cleaned up and put into place...

I'll look it up and see if it's close to what I want to do with Chi. Bear in mind that there's a reason why there are 'Eight Sages', as they are celestial beings that created the world and the races that followed. So a lot of I Ching influences come to bear in the setting. And I'm not crazy about BESM, so I shalln't bother.

I'm not familiar with those two comics, but it's not important. I do read up on Ozzy & Millie, though. :D

I think I'm gonna slant the sourcebook towards Wuxia/Dark Fantasy--it is an Age of Shadow that the players will start at, with demons and dark desires waiting to be cleaned up and put into place...

That sound great> I would love to see it when your done. Please send me a copy.

Cheers

QM

This sounds really frelling cool. Please PM me if/when you get to the proofreading and playtesting stage.

I'll keep that in mind, Rose. Just being buffeted about by other interesting ideas, such as developing/organizing a Monster Rancher-themed world with some artsy guys. (Although that makes for an interesting world to use in HERO, too. Who knows, I have to do extensive research in that to make it happen.)

What I can defintly say that will need playtesting is the templates and the Chi magic system. Everything else will be writing and thinking up ideas.

Edit: I forgot to add a little bit more when I said it would be a Dark Wuxia campaign setting: I intend to split it a bit further by offering two methods of playing the game... the Heroic 'Mundane' setting, and the superheroic 'Celestial' addenium for those interested. The latter will be a bit more complex for me, but easier to pull off if your group is more used to playing Champions. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this would be appropriate to go here (since few 'rulesy' things are being discussed)' date=' but I've written up some furry templates in HERO format if anyone wants them.[/quote']

*holds hand up enthusiasticly* ME ME ME ME , I want them.

Pretty pleassse!

QM

Note -- there are humans in the UY universe. Lord Hijiki is one.

Uhm, having been a fan of UY for years, I couldn't let this go. There are no humans in the UY universe. Lord Hikiji is a serpent, IIRC, and the closest you get to humans in UY are the occasional monkey-like characters.

Oh, and to be totally geeky: http://www.usagiyojimbo.com/characters/hikiji.html

TTFN, heroes

Don't forget Space Usagi (check the UY Dojo for info) and 'Big Ears, Small Mouse' for BESM

Note -- there are humans in the UY universe. Lord Hijiki is one.

Uhm, having been a fan of UY for years, I couldn't let this go. There are no humans in the UY universe. Lord Hikiji is a serpent, IIRC, and the closest you get to humans in UY are the occasional monkey-like characters.

*buzzer*

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

Lord Hikiji is a human. Lord Hebi, his councilor is a snake. Humans have been spotted from time to time, but they are both rare, and special. Hikiji is one example of a human, as is the werebeast Usagi encountered. He's run into at least one more... the Spirit of Spring was drawn as a human, for example.

I stand corrected, although having scoured my collection I only find one image of Hikiji in battle armor and the armored mask he wears covers most of his face. I'm willing to trust the word of my peers.

Also just noticed this passage in the UY RPG: Humans are rare in Usagi's world, and when they appear, they usually aren't very nice. Witness the monsterous Ocho, the mysterious demon piper, and of course the evil Lord Hikiji.

There is further verification if you look through the very first graphic novels. I can't recall right off, but I think it's in #2 that you get to see Counselor Hebi talk to Lord Hikiji himself. It's very obvious that he's 'hyoo-man.'