A Thread For Random Links

Thrakazog

Re: A Thread For Random Links

The Torino scale

http://128.102.32.13/impact/torino.cfm

(despite the numeric address, that's an official NASA site. The parent is http://impact.arc.nasa.gov/ )

Down near the bottom of the page is a graphic mapping Torino Scale numbers to collision probabilities and kinetic energy of impact.

I leave it as an exercise for the board participants to translate those into STR values and dice rolls (or Unluck values).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There was a massive millipede (not THAT big, but big) in the ladies' room about 2 weeks ago. I dropped a paper towel on it, then stomped.

And got VERY grossed out at the 2-square-inch blotch it left on the paper towel. Not to mention the cracking noise. *shudders*

Geeze. Aren't you afraid of the vengeful millipede ghost, creeping softly across your hands and arms and face as you're just about to nod off to sleep in bed, like someone running a feather or breath over your skin?

Ah, well. Off to bed.

Pleasant dreams...

Geeze. Aren't you afraid of the vengeful millipede ghost, creeping softly across your hands and arms and face as you're just about to nod off to sleep in bed, like someone running a feather or breath over your skin?

Ah, well. Off to bed.

Pleasant dreams...

You are evil.:sneaky:

Ah, well. Off to bed.

Pleasant dreams...

:tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav :tonguewav

Millipedes aren't bad. Those big ones are exotic pets. Overly sensitive to pesticides, but you can keep 'em in a terrarium with no troubles. Feed them lettuce.

Centipedes, on the other hand, are ... bad. Unlike millipedes, they are all venomous, most are pretty aggressive, and I undertand that for some of them even having one walk on you can cause an infection.

My grad school roommate was out at the observatory in West Texas, and at one point he and his observing partner, sitting in the control room, turn around and there was a six-inch centipede crossing the floor behind them. Being perhaps understandably squeamish, they got a broom and whacked at it.

The thing reared up at them.

Their next step was the Weapon Without Answer, the CO2 extinguisher next to the electronics rack. A good close-range poooooooooof of rapidly-forming dry ice crystals froze the vicious myriapod in place, and they leisurely used the handle end of the broom to bust the now quite brittle centipede into little bits.

The hard part was explaining to the observatory director why the extinguisher needed recharging.

They are of different Classes, I think, technically. A decent site seems to be here.

Millipedes have two pairs of legs per body segment. I think all millipedes are eaters of vegetation, especially decaying vegetation.

Centipedes have one pair of legs per body segment. I think all centipedes are predators, and have poison fangs.

Centipedes tend to be rather faster-moving than millipedes (which is part of the predator-versus-scavenger thing). I think millipedes almost invariably have shorter legs than centipedes, but I'm less certain of that.

We're on the verge of traditional start-of-classes, so here's something especially for those folks with teaching duties...

Advice for Undergraduates

That's not my blog, but I contributed to the item posted there. And approximately all of the items are based on real-world experience. I claim credit for items 2.6, 2.7, and 4.5 in particular.