A Thread For Random Links

Thrakazog

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.curbed.com/2018/1/31/16952460/kitchen-appliances-design-gender-men

There's some weird, implicit ageism-sexism vibes in this that rub me the wrong way ... almost an unstated assumption of the canonical sneer that single men in the 1970s and '80s (and earlier) subsisted on nothing but beer and Pop-Tarts ... but I might be hypersensitive about that.  Could be my family was 'ahead of the curve', so to speak, in becoming a two-earner household and needing the kids (of which I was the oldest) to learn to cook dinner on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Planetary Defense Conference Exercise - 2015

As realistic as it can be exercise in predicting, dealing with, and mitigating an asteroid impact.  Hypothetical asteroid discovery: 13 April 2015 (first day of the conference).  Ultimate terrestrial result: 18 megaton airburst of a fragment over Dhaka, Bangladesh.  (Aside from the location and date, this is essentially the Tunguska impact.)

I suspect this could be invaluable fodder for a Champions game.  You could play it straight as is, or add stuff of your choice.

Note there's another exercise in 2017 accessible there, though this one seems to be "crunchier" in terms of the astronomy timeline.

EDIT: Man, I could turn this into a class.  Wouldn't that be fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Remarkably successful first trial for treatment of ovarian cancer

I joined these boards when I was a hired gun programmer at a different institution in town, working on a population microsimulation model for testing out cancer screening strategies, starting in particular with ovarian cancer.  Really difficult disease to spot early, and to date it isn't very survivable if detected at late stages.  The linked result needs lots of further work, but it is a major stroke.