Pulp TV Shows

Vanguard00

Steve Long was asking about Tales of the Gold Monkey and linked to the site. From there I took a look at the shows they offered on DVD. Among them was "Legend", starring Richard Dean Anderson and John DeLancie. It looks like they had some good guest stars, as well.

Also, "Bring 'Em Back Alive", with Bruce Boxleitner. Here's a brief description:

Operating out of the Raffles Hotel bar in Singapore, Frank donned pith helmet and ventured forth every week to deal with the baddies of Southeast Asia, ranging from smugglers and warlords to spies and strutting Nazis.

So, has anyone seen these shows? If so, would you recommend them? Any other similarly "forgotten" shows that might be good?

Re: Pulp TV Shows

How about the Bearcats? I was too young to have any detailed memories about the show, but I remember enjoying it. And my parents did too.

From what I read recently doing a search on the show, it's a bit early for the pulp era (it's set in the turn of the 20th century), but it sounds like it had a pulp feel to it.

"Bring 'em Back Alive" was a fictionalized account of the life of Frank Buck. The show's title was based on his motto and reputation of bringing in alive the most ferocious and dangerous of animals.

Some good WWII based shows would be Combat, Twelve O'clock High, and the Rat Patrol (from the 1960's), also the Black Sheep Squadron.

"Talespin", the Disney TV cartoon, is set in an alternate history version of the 1930s South Seas. It has strong elements of aviation pulp, though it is aimed at children so elides some of the more unpleasant themes and tropes of pulp.

For pulp SF, there's "Star Trek." The original series was very much in the style of the pulp SF of the late '30s to 1940s, with a veneer of 1960s social consciousness.

I don't know "Heat Of The Sun" Could you provide us with a brief synopsis please ?

It's a three-episode story arc from the PBS series Mystery. The main character is a Scotland Yard detective who, for the sin of gunning down a British peer who was apparently guilty of some horrendous crime but beyond the touch of the law, is exiled to 1930s Kenya as the local police inspector. Each episode is an hour long and a self-contained mystery story.

When Jonny Quest was created, the intent was to bring pulp adventures to TV, but in a more modern context. Almost all episodes of this series (now avalable on DVD) make excellent ready-made adventures for a pulp game. They're even designed as challenges for a group of globe-trotting adventurers (rather than an intrepid solo adventurer.)

Scooby Do was heavily influenced by the pulp Weird Menace genre. Most of the episodes of this show provide most of the stuff you would need to run a nice self-contained four hour mystery-adventure, complete with clues, red herrings, and some backround material on characters and settings. Some years are better than others, but most shows have plenty of content of just about the right difficulty to a good group of role-players (in my games, I call this the "Scooby Do rule - for maximum fun, mysteries should be about as hard as the ones on Scooby do.)

When Jonny Quest was created' date=' the intent was to bring pulp adventures to TV, but in a more modern context.[/quote']

Ah, I loved that cartoon. Imagine...a cartoon in which when someone is shot with a rifle, or blown up...they die! :shock: But just too much for the weak stomachs of the children of America, I guess, because it only lasted one season. :( (Yeah, I know it was the parents that didn't like it. I'm bein' sarcastic here!)

I spent a lot of time collecting the episodes off the 'net, but as soon as the DVD set became available...well, to quote Igor, "It must be mine!!!! $$$" -- and it was! ;)

Ah' date=' I [i']loved[/i] that cartoon. Imagine...a cartoon in which when someone is shot with a rifle, or blown up...they die! :shock: But just too much for the weak stomachs of the children of America, I guess, because it only lasted one season. :( (Yeah, I know it was the parents that didn't like it. I'm bein' sarcastic here!)

Jonny Quest was originally a prime-time show, aimed at parents as well as kids. I don't think it was faulted all that much for violence - westerns in the early 60's were plenty violent. I think it failed because people weren't ready for an animated show at prime-time. Of course, "failed" is a relative term. It did run for 26 episodes, and never really had a chance to go downhill.

Jonny Quest was originally a prime-time show' date=' aimed at parents as well as kids. I don't think it was faulted all that much for violence - westerns in the early 60's were plenty violent. I think it failed because people weren't ready for an animated show at prime-time. Of course, "failed" is a relative term. It did run for 26 episodes, and never really had a chance to go downhill.[/quote']

Jonny Quest was a great show. I remember reading that despite being hit with viewers, it couldn't pay for itself. The show was apparently cutting edge for its time, and was just too expensive to keep producing.

Or it could just be studio propaganda.

Regardless, Johhny Quest is a show worth watching. I think you can still catch it from time to time on the Boomerang channel.

I absolutely loved Johnny Quest. A new series was released at some point in the 90's' date=' though i never saw it, and dont know how true it is to the original.[/quote']

The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest was a sequel series that ran on Cartoon Network, in which Jonny was about 16-17. It retained some of the original show's sensibilties, but added virtual reality (and the most dangerous villain in the series dewlt in VR) and an understated romantic subplot involving Jessie Bannon, Race's daughter who was part of "Team Quest". Jonny was a full-fledged professional adventurer, Hadji was much more competent and mystical than in the original series, and Race frequently found that his unsavory past as an espionage agent was causing trouble for the group.

It's a three-episode story arc from the PBS series Mystery. The main character is a Scotland Yard detective who' date=' for the sin of gunning down a British peer who was apparently guilty of some horrendous crime but beyond the touch of the law, is exiled to 1930s Kenya as the local police inspector. Each episode is an hour long and a self-contained mystery story.[/quote']

Another Mystery! sub-sereis that would make good pulp fodder is Campion, which starred former Doctor Who Peter Davison as a gentleman detective who -- well, let's allow him to introduce himself:

"Albert Campion. Born May 1900. Name known to be a psuedonym, education priveleged, began adventuous career 1929. Justice Neatly Executed. Nothing sordid, deserving cases preferred, police no object. Specailist in fairy stories."

Campion had a network of accomplices, the aid of hin inimitable manservant Lugg ("He used to be one of the top burglars in the business, but he just couldn't make the weight anymore.") and an uncanny knwck for being in the right place at exactly the right time. As Davison played him, he was also absurdly witty.There were numerous great qupis in just my favorite episode, "Look to the Lady", in which Campion was pitted against a formidable criminal organization to prevent the theft of a mediieval artifact:

"This a gun, and as soon as I've read the instruction leaflet I won't hesistate to use it."

"Then it's settled. In the morning we will smuggle you out of here through the secret passage, and then we will take the Turnpike to Suffolk, where we will seek out George and the Wicked Weasels from the Wild Wood, and we'll whack 'em and whack 'em and whack 'em!"

"I take the precaution of living next door to a police station. My constabulary neighbors and share a common policy -- we oppose any breaking of the law."

"I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Steve Long was asking about Tales of the Gold Monkey and linked to the site. From there I took a look at the shows they offered on DVD. Among them was "Legend", starring Richard Dean Anderson and John DeLancie. It looks like they had some good guest stars, as well.

Also, "Bring 'Em Back Alive", with Bruce Boxleitner. Here's a brief description:

So, has anyone seen these shows? If so, would you recommend them? Any other similarly "forgotten" shows that might be good?

"Bring Em Back Alive", was okay, at it's best, but suffered from ideas and setting too vast for their budget

"Legend", fun as a semi guilty pleasure, Delancie had a one note character and almost never got any good lines while Anderson, who played a drunken "pre-pulp" adventure writer was a lot of fun. Episodes were hit and miss.

"Tales of the Gold Monkey", was fun. It suffered from limitation of plot and characters but it still seemed to rise above it more often than most shows.

Also:

Reilly, Ace of Spies, starred Sam Neil as Ian Fleming's model for 007. Basically a low key espionage thriller set in the interbellum period tween WW1 and WW2. Great characters for inspiration.

Land of the Lost, not exactly as lively as most pulps it definetly would make a fine Burroughsian campaign world.

To be avoided, "Casablanca-the series", starring David Soul as Bogey's Rick.

There's also "The Secret Life of Ian Fleming," a show supposedly about Ian Fleming's life as a spy. This is where Fleming sleeps with everyone's wife, becomes a reporter for Reuters, nearly gets killed, gets recruited by British Intelligence, and loses his one true love. Oh yes, his best friend is an inventor named Quincy.

Not credible at all, but amusing in its own right. Fleming is played by Jason Connery. Yes, he is Sean Connery's son.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100567/

And just having finished its first season, Lost has a very good pulp premise. It shouldn't be too difficult to move it back to the 1930s or late '40s. Charlie becomes a hophead swing musician, Sayid is replaced with a German character with a similar occupational background, and so forth....

• 2 weeks later...

This show was good in the 70s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Persuaders

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066701/

It's not a Pulp show per se, but some elements captured the feel of the genre. It doesn't hurt that Roger Moore, who had just finished playing The Saint, went on to become James Bond after the show was cancelled.