Herophile Fantasy art

AmadanNaBriona

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cancer Benefit for Danielle snapshots

My wife, Millie, is a professor of nursing at Tompkins Cortland Community College and her fellow teacher, Danielle, has been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer.  She is a single mom of 4 and is an adjunct professor (no health insurance).  So, we've been involved for the last couple of months helping to put together a benefit for Danielle.  It was this last Sunday and it was amazing.  Lots of people showed.  Lots of gift baskets were raffled off.

So.  I did this painting to be raffled off.  The couple who ended up winning it were thrilled.  Saying it was to go above their fireplace and replace their picture of Jesus Christ.  That was awfully nice to hear.  That my artwork was going in lieu of Lord and Savior.  They were so happy, it was a gift to me.

AngelofCancerResearchF72_zpscf81fdf3.jpg

Angel of Cancer Research

About 3 weeks ago, Millie and I shaved our heads in support of Danielle.  We had a mini-fundraising at TC3, where other students shaved their heads and folks paid a couple of bucks to touch Millie's head.  On Sunday, I re-shaved Millie's head for the Benefit (I wanted to do mine too, but we ran out of time and had to get there!).  Our neighbor, Denise, does these amazing face paintings and asked if she could paint Millie's head.  Viola!  Got the pic!!!

MillieFacepaintcrop_zps1c6655b2.jpg

Millie's Face painting at Danielle's Cancer Benefit

I also had a table right next to Denise doing sketches for kids at the Benefit.  It was fun.  I'm only sorry that I thought of taking photos of my sketches at the tail end.  It was really interesting.  I did a lot of animals.... 3 owls, 1 buck, 1 wolf, 1 king cobra among others.  Frozen characters were also the big request, I did 3 Annas and 2 Elsas and 1 Olaf.  I haven't seen the movie yet, thankfully, my iphone could bring up reference on all of these things.  

So I got a couple of sketches from the Benefit to share.  Not the clearest snapshots, I played with them a bit digitally trying to punch the contrast in Photoshop:

photo_zps957abc33.jpg

ElsaFrozen_zpsfb99bffd.jpg

Finally, I get to talk about a project that I've been sitting on for awhile!  Ribbons is a comic Kickstart, created by its writer, Justin Evans.  If the Kickstart succeeds, I get to do the art chores.  The tagline is this:  What if Las Vegas was a battleground for souls ... and you just inherited a brothel? 

Here is the link to the Kickstart page and will tell you plenty more about the Ribbons graphic novel. Including a video for folks who don't feel like reading at this very moment (but I would think folks who like comics tend to like to read!  <g>)

And now to tease you and hopefully entice you into backing said Kickstart, some art I've done for Ribbons!

Here is a mock up of the cover.  I slapped down that type face just to show what I was thinking while I was working on it, just to show Justin that we could possibly put the title in the lower quadrant than the more traditional, up at the top.  Not sure if that is going to stick yet.  Justin liked it.

RibbonscovF0272_zps68391841.jpg

Here is page 1 and example of the final product.  I'm doing  pencil with sorta digital washes to allow the pencil grit to come/seep through.  Which I think is appropriate for a urban mystic noir vibe, yet still be readable.

Ribbons001weblettered_zpsb51eefe6.jpg

Next are pages 2 and 3 and these are just pencils and are a bit rough and sketchy (by design).  These will go to finishes if the Kickstart gets Started!

RibbonsP002sk72_zps7e6da62f.jpg

Ribbonsp003sk72_zps89c98ecd.jpg

• 1 month later...
First off, John Wick's Wield kickstarter is off and running today!!!  And it already has met 2 of its stretch goals as I write this.  It seems like a really cool little game where you play an artifact, like Stormbringer, instead of "human" protagonist like Elric.  I posted the cover art before, but will do it again, as well as two of the interiors I did for the book.  

And here is the cover and interiors:  

WieldCoverVII72_zps245ac32b.jpg

DragonChangeF72_zps37440e51.jpg

ShatterF72_zpsddb8f2fa.jpg

Next up is a new project for me.  I call it the bugs and drugs.  I'm working with Mitreos development and this is a Kickstarter project that already was successful before I was called in.  The idea is to take various viruses and illness as well as beneficial drugs and such, and make a fantasy world out of them.  So, for example, I was called upon to do Streptomycin.  

Here is my exact illo brief:  A shepherd (female) guarding horses, cattle, sheep, and orchards, with a glowing Shepherd's staff. She recently changed sides to the forces of good even though she used to be a bacteria (the antibiotic is actually a byproduct of bacteria)

From little I have seen, it is really neat stuff.  My wife, the nursing professor, was mildly amused too.  And from the art side, it is an interesting challenge, as the art serves quite a few masters.  There is a roleplaying tome like two page spread (so the character is alone, no background), as well as posters, as well as art for the collectible card game.  I did the art quite large for the poster size stuff and worked down from there.

Next, I'm working on Ertapenem, another "good guy" heroine drug interpretation.  

The link to their website is here:  http://bacterionomicon.com/

And the art!

Strepwithbackground3F72_zpsa05b6bfa.jpg

Hope y'all get a kick outta the artwork.  

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Our mid-to-high level game has been set on hiatus - a status I suspect to become permanent, since the GM has problems handling powerful characters, and we've started a new low-level game.

So I did a picture of my paladin, back at the monastery where he started, in an uncharacteristically relaxed pose.

tumblr_nda4axiWen1t01oxvo1_1280.jpg

cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...
I am probably a bit late in getting this posted, but I didn't know I was going to do this until the last minute.  I'm doing the Big Draw event tomorrow (Sun, 10/26) with my friend Camilo at the Johnson Art Museum at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY!  Here is the link to the Big Draw event for locations all over the world:  http://www.thebigdraw.org/

So, if you are in the area, consider coming up the Johnson Art museum.  There are a couple of AMAZING exhibits going on at the moment.  A collection of Tawainese modern artworks, including a huge bas relief that evokes a new civilization... or maybe that is an old civilization.  Anyway, Camilo and I will be serving as psuedo art directors for a class of Ithaca College students who are to interact with this bas relief and then do a blog/'zine that is rooted in the civilization the bas relief alludes to.  

Also, a very, very cool exhibit on "Magic and Surrealism".  Some very nice juxtapositioning of magic texts, surreal art, even early movies of prestidigitation.  

Going to be a total blast.

Meanwhile, here is a private commission, thought I would show the underpainting for funsies.  The underpainting is a combo of pencil, watercolor pencil, watercolor and acrylic.  The actual painting is digital on top of that.   And oh yeah, the mandate was for a fantasy version of a certain shield wielding avenger.  

MarshallvsFlayersU72_zpsce9761c0.jpg

MarshallvsFlayersF72_zpsfa3cc0e5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Last night was the grand opening of the temporary art gallery down on the Ithaca Commons as part of the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Fest.  It was a hoot!!!  Steve Ellis, the coordinator of the whole dang thing, put up a 12' canvas on the wall and a bunch of us threw some acrylic paint at it.  I got pics to prove it!

photo-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

So.  Top pic, from left to right Steve Ellis, Steve Walker, Fred Harper, Cesar (who's last name I don't know but he is awesome!) and Jen Lightfoot.

2nd pic, John Haeffner, Cesar and Jen.

Note for next year, prime that dang canvas!!!!

So.  Today at the IIFFF gallery, there will be a whole gaggle of us artists doing life drawing from live models from 11 to 5 today.  IF you are in the Ithaca area, want to hang out with a whole bunch of cool, weird, creative types, COME ON DOWN!  Or.  If you like horror films, man, IIFFF has some really great, unknown gems as well as a couple classics.  Please check out the link:

Meanwhile, let me drop some my art on ya!  Both of these are private commissions and the tavern scene is available as part of my LPJ Design's Portfolio Single series .

Tavern Cheatin'

FantasypokergameF72_zps64a4da68.jpg

The next one will be released soon as stock art, and I will let folks when that happens.  And is another of the fantasy Cap America with the serial numbers filed off.

Marshall of the City

MarshalloverthecityF72_zps7df537aa.jpg

So, I’ve been a bit more in the public with my art than usual.  The 2nd day of the Ithaca International Fantastic Film Festival Art Gallery events was a 2 live models posing for all of us artists.  It was funny watching other artists sketch and the “table” talk was a hoot, as was the jockying for a better position to do our sketches <g>

The 2 Liz’s from Whiskey Tango Sideshow were awesome!  They brought very cool costumes and props and a lot energy and fun to their posing.  And yes!  I wasn’t making up any costuming, that is what they were actually wearing.  And yes, balancing sword on her head was held for the entire 10 min pose without a wobble.  True pros!

Thought I would share some of my sketches done that day.  Every sketch except the sitting pose with the scimitar on the shoulder was 10-20 min poses.  The scimitar on the shoulder was a 40 min pose.

3 poses

DancerLiz3posessk72_zps68577ee2.jpg

Headmistress Liz

Headmistresssk72_zps570b2f1d.jpg

Sitting Liz

Lizsittingsk72_zps607ff1e7.jpg

A few weeks ago, I talked about a doing some art at the Johnson Art Museum at Cornell University.  This was a sketch I did then based on the “future civilization” of this massive instillation from China.

Future father

FutureFathersk72_zps8a9573d2.jpg