Dr. House

Michael Hopcroft

Now that the 2004-2005 TV season is over in the United States, people are going to argue over what the best new show was. In this country for broadcast, that is like arguing over the ideal number of fingers on a leper.

Although i am not devoted to anything on broadcast, the one new series that has consistently entertained me the most is House. It is a medical drama about a Dr. House (played by Hugh Laurie, a British actor who did a lot of great stuff over there, particuarly with Stephen Fry) who tackles diseases and ailments that baffle everyone else. House is brilliant and mercurial but arrogant, misanthropic, callous and addicted to painkillers. He'll cure your ills, but his bedside manner may make death seem preferable.

In short, he'd be a perfect HERO PC.

So how to write him up?

Re: Dr. House

Disadvantages:

Physical Limitation: Lame Leg (all the time, moderately) -- He uses a cane, but he gets around pretty well otherwise.

Physical Limitation: Chronic Pain/Dependence on Painkillers (all the time, moderately) -- Caused by the lame leg, but a separate problem, thus a separate disadvantage. Moderate as long as he's able to get the pills, which--being a doctor in a modern hospital--is a non-problem.

INT 15 or 18 as required to stand out in campaign

PS: Doctor

Perk: Licensed to practice medicine

Perk: Positive Reputation as highly skilled diagnostician

Perk: Tenured

SS: Medicine

SS: Anatomy

SS: Pharmacology

KS: Obscure diseases

Contacts or Followers ? (Dr. Cuddy, administrator, friendly oncologist, three assistant doctors with various specialties Foreman (B&E, brain surgery), Chase (rich) and Cameron (epidemiologist))

KS: Soap operas

KS: Monster trucks

Physical Lim: Lame in left leg, -3" running

Dependency on painkillers (incompetence)

Unwilling to be vulnerable to people emotionally

Unwilling to observe social niceties, abrasive

Fascinated by insanity and altered mental states

Identifying quote: 'Patients lie. Everybody lies.'

In short' date=' he'd be a perfect HERO PC.[/quote']

For what kind of a campaign?

Seriously, I haven't seen the show, so please educate me. Most RPG campaigns center around the concept of danger, adventure and externalized conflict. For what kind of a game would this character be a suitable PC?

Keith "Medical HERO?" Curtis

I have to agree that Dr. House would be somewhat limited as a PC in most RPG settings, unless they focussed on medical drama (which might make for an interesting campaign, actually). OTOH he would be a dynamite NPC in almost any near-modern or futuristic campaign, especially if the PCs had unusual medical needs that required his expertise. Playing off his abrasive, cynical, arrogant personality would make for fun roleplaying. :)

As you can probably guess form my new sig, I'm rather fond of the show. ;)

I have to agree that Dr. House would be somewhat limited as a PC in most RPG settings, unless they focussed on medical drama (which might make for an interesting campaign, actually). OTOH he would be a dynamite NPC in almost any near-modern or futuristic campaign, especially if the PCs had unusual medical needs that required his expertise. Playing off his abrasive, cynical, arrogant personality would make for fun roleplaying. :)

As you can probably guess form my new sig, I'm rather fond of the show. ;)

So you could use him like Dr Gym'll from the old Legion comics. He was so obnoxious/abrasive his patients got better just to get away from him. I liked him, especially when he sneered at Braniac 5's medical expertise. Having one of those around sounds like a great plan, especially if you're in a Dark Champions setting. The hospital could almost be a second home assuming you live through the firefights.

• 2 weeks later...

who is dr.house anyone can tell me as long as they tell me i dont know a thing about heros!!!! :fear:

He's not a hero; he's a character on a TV show. It's a great medical drama, and while Dr. House might make a good NPC (y'all forgot the obscene Deduction skills, too--and maybe Luck), I don't think he'd be a good PC for most campaigns.