Moon Knight........

Grymour

Hello all,

I was just wondering does anyone remember Moon Knight? Now the next question, is he a Superhero or a Vigilante?

Me I think of him as a Vigilante, but I would like to hear what other people think.

Take care and be well,

Gil

Re: Moon Knight........

well, most super-heroes are vigilantes because they operate without official sanction from the government or law-enforcement agencies, so i don't see why he has to one or the other....?

do you mean does he kill bad guys?--oh yeah--he's an ex-mercenary for hire, who turned his skills to warring on those beyond the reach of the law, etc....

BTW--the character is about to be re-introduced in marvel's ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN

I used to really like the character, but I always wondered how much of his history was real and how much was delusional/implanted, whatever.

He just seemed... Unlikely, I guess in that respect.

I really liked the image, the crescent blades, various other things, but iirc it was almost 20 years ago.

actually, i don't remember him killing people as moon knight. i think he had to change his ways when khonshu brought him back to life.

of course, khonshu didn't seem to mind maiming the "bad" guys.

YMMV and i could be remembering it wrong.

oh i guess if you want to be FACTUAL--NONE of the marvel heroes were killing people except the punisher and nick fury, prior to the 'WOLVERINE-I-ZATION' OF THE MU during the 80'S (unless you want to count during WWII, which i dont.....) :dh:

It does matter when you're talking about for his outlook, and also in regards to his powers. There was the original Merc in a white hoody, Superpowered at night in hoody, Battlearmor in a hoody, back to his roots in a hoody....it just kinda goes on and on. ;)

As I recall, Moon Knight was only mildly superpowered -- he got a STR boost at night based upon the phase of the moon. All the rest of it was skills, and maybe a slow-fuse resurrection power.

As far as the distinction between a "vigilante" and a "superhero", it's largely one of tone in the older pre-everyone-kills days. Superheroes were usually pretty light in tone, where as the vigilante types were darker, and were much more likely to operate on the low down.

In Moon Knights case, he was a shadowy sort that operated below the radar of the authorities, and he was much more of a street level character.

Ah... Good old Mark Spectre and the Spirit Khonsu..

I used to love that comic. That and Ghost Rider were my first two (2) comics that I started to collect.

That was at least until the entire other-world virus* and the Shadow Cabinet and French dying.... Oh never mind.

I remember there were three (3) incarnations of Moon Knight.

One of them (I think the second.. Maybe #1 as well) had the Str and Dex boosts depending on the phases of the moon. Under a full moon he was like Capt. America. Under a new moon, he was just a regular schmoo..

The third incarnation (where I started) he was nothing more than a Marvel-ous copy of Batman. High levels of combat abilities and a gadget belt. He might have had some reflex increase due to the blessing of Khonshu, but I don't think so.

He used crescent-shaped throwing-blades and an extendable staff that contained gadgets (tazer, rope launcher etc etc).

Later, he designed a suit of heavier armor that had built-in dart launchers in the gauntlets and various other extras. This was done to help to preserve his rotting body* (see virus comment above)

Basically, Moon Knight fits in around Batman and Spiderman levels. Unless you go with the moon-based powers then he is higher.

I remember there were three (3) incarnations of Moon Knight.

One of them (I think the second.. Maybe #1 as well) had the Str and Dex boosts depending on the phases of the moon. Under a full moon he was like Capt. America. Under a new moon, he was just a regular schmoo..

The third incarnation (where I started) he was nothing more than a Marvel-ous copy of Batman. High levels of combat abilities and a gadget belt. He might have had some reflex increase due to the blessing of Khonshu, but I don't think so.

He used crescent-shaped throwing-blades and an extendable staff that contained gadgets (tazer, rope launcher etc etc).

Later, he designed a suit of heavier armor that had built-in dart launchers in the gauntlets and various other extras. This was done to help to preserve his rotting body* (see virus comment above)

Basically, Moon Knight fits in around Batman and Spiderman levels. Unless you go with the moon-based powers then he is higher.

I started collecting Moon Knight with issue #1. I always viewed that earliest version as a direct Marvel ripoff of Batman (Which was fine with me, because I liked street-level characters). The moon-blades, the multipurpose baton, all that stuff were pretty obvious copies of Batman. I stopped reading him when they started tampering with him.

The whole "gets stronger with the phases of the moon" was mostly for flavor; and how strong he got varied markedly with the writer. If I was building him in Champions I'd have given him a 15 STR as a base value at the new moon and have it climb and fall by phases of the moon up to about 30 STR under the full moon. So he'd gain or lose about a point of STR each day. Even at his peak I don't think he was nearly as strong or fast as Spider-Man, nor as skilled as Batman. I would have rated him as comparably effective in combat to Daredevil; at least in his two earliest incarnations. I never read the later one, although I'm interested in his forthcoming reappearance. I wonder how he'll be built and written.

OTOH, Moon Knight does have a very cool costume; one I deliberately modeled my DC character Justicar's costume after:

Very cool costume...
Thanks. I created it with Hero Machine 2 and a bit of editing with Paint Shop Pro 7.

I also did a light gray version of it which looks very much like Moon Knight's original costume, but opted for the ecclesiastical red version as more suited for nighttime work.

Guest bblackmoor

It does matter when you're talking about for his outlook' date=' and also in regards to his powers.[/quote']

That's a good point. Personally, I much prefer the original Moon Knight, before he got all bling-bling. I took him more seriously then. He stood out from the crowd (in more ways than one, but that was one of them).

Personally, I liked the beginning of the Marc Spectre series. He was on a level comparable to Batman. .

Towards the end there was so many gadgets and wacky events that it seemed to be grasping at straws.

The entire "evil dopplegangers" period in Marvel sucked!!! Then again, Marvel has pulled some stupendously stupid things... Not that the other companies haven't as well.

I liked the original series enough to go and hunt for all the back issues. I didn't even mind the start of the "fist of Khonshu" phase. He was a Batman ripoff, but he was cool in his own way (he had four personalities kicking around in his skull). But it all started to go wrong when he joined the terminally sunny West Coast Avengers. I liked Moon Knight, and I liked the Whackos, but that was just a really bad fit.

You can add me to the list of people who based characters off him (Dark Shadow)

I started collecting Moon Knight with issue #1. I always viewed that earliest version as a direct Marvel ripoff of Batman (Which was fine with me, because I liked street-level characters). The moon-blades, the multipurpose baton, all that stuff were pretty obvious copies of Batman. I stopped reading him when they started tampering with him.

I never read the later one, although I'm interested in his forthcoming reappearance. I wonder how he'll be built and written.

Actually, Moon Knight was originally a knock off of Batman and the Shadow. The whole multiple identity thing comes directly from the latter.

As for the new series, I'm definitely looking forward to it too. I hope they keep it close to the original series by Doug Moench where his abilities and even history stay somewhat ambigious. I always felt that gave the character something that was unique to him. Plus, he has one of the best costumes.

Even at his peak I don't think he was nearly as strong or fast as Spider-Man' date=' nor as skilled as Batman. I would have rated him as comparably effective in combat to Daredevil[/quote']

in some ways i think he was JUST as skilled as bats

i remember reading an old, old issue of the DEFENDERS where MK gets trapped in pit/tank by NICK FURY (actually a rouge LMD) while snooping....

in typical villain fashion, "FURY", is staring down into the pit at his 'vanquished foe', smokin' a huge stogey, and throwin' back a few brews....

he taunts him as the tank seals--the plan is to drown him and dispose of the body--once sealed, the tank will fill with water, hold him there for a while, and empty him out into the river--since he'll have drowned, no one will suspect foul play, or at least not suspect that he died in a warehouse in brooklyn....

just before the tank closes MK asks for a can o' beer--sorta as a last request--"FURY", with his typical macho swagger tosses him one....

END OF ISSUE

next issue--we see ol' MK back at DEFENDERS HQ, none the worse for wear, rallying the troops--apparently he emptied the beer and used the air inside, plus some handy shallow-breathing tricks he'd picked up somewheres, to keep himself alive until the trap had gone through it's cycle--once he reached the river, he headed out to get help....

HOLY BY-THE-SEAT-OF-YOUR-TIGHTS ESCAPES, MOON KNIGHT!!