Cybermen

Michael Hopcroft

It is reported that one of the major features of the 2006 season of Doctor Who (which will star David Tennant as the new Doctor) will be the return in a big way of the Cybermen. The Cybermen share a few similar characteristics with the Borg (mainly that they only way they can increase their numbers is by converting other beings into new Cybermen), but because of the characteristics of the series are much different in their plans and the way they carry them o7ut (tending to subtle invasions and infiltration of planets over overt invasions and building massive battle fleets).

Later versions of the Cybermen had a bizarre allergy to gold, which proved folrtunate for the Doctor because they are very difficult to kill otherwise.

Re: Cybermen

I always felt that the Borg were a pretty blatant rework of the Cybermen :thumbdown IMO most of the non-classic Star Drek was rather second-rate and not on a par with the original series (which featured some rather good SF writers on occasion).

The current Dr Who series is still looking good, a nice combo of humour and SF-lite. If the writing standard is maintained there is hope for a Dr Who renaissance.

Later versions of the Cybermen had a bizarre allergy to gold, which proved folrtunate for the Doctor because they are very difficult to kill otherwise.

From what I've gathered - every version of the Cybermen is an improvement on the last, they keep re-inventing themselves, and gradually getting rid of their vulnerabilities one-by-one. At the period of time for the encounters with the fifth doctor (Peter Davidson) - gold was their weakness, because as a non-corrosive dust it could clog their respirators.

Mind you it's pseudo-science. The Cybermen where really just brains in jars, and would not need to breathe (at least not very often).

By the way, I just rented the old black & white episode Tomb of the Cybermen from the Troughton era. Those Cybermen are very cool, depsite the obvious cheapness of their costumes. Their voices, which sound like old-style computer-generated speech, are especailly unnerving (although, like the Daleks, a human actor provided the speech which was then processed).

Showing that time changes persepctives, apparently in that story the Cybermen had been gone for about five hundred years and there were actually humans who admired them.

The episode is a textbook example of how to take a non-existent production budget and end up with effective television. There were only about four sets and one external location in the entire 85-minute episode -- which resulted in a wonderful claustrophobic effect to the entire piece.

I am personally hoping to see an eventual return of the Sontarans or maybe the Sea Devils.

I would also expect a "Two Doctors" episode eventually where Christopher Eccleston comes back for an episode or two to team up with David Tennant's Doctor. Hell, maybe even a "Three Doctors" with Paul McGann, Peter Davidson or Sylvester McCoy. I don't know about Sylvester McCoy, but Peter Davidson is still looking pretty good for his age.

That was back when science fiction TV cared more about the writing than the effects....

You speak true words. One of the things that sets Dr Who apart from most TV series is the quality of the writing.

As for the return of the Sea Devils one of the Sea Devils / Silurians eBooks is now available on line (can't recall originator the linky but here it is anyway):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ebooks/scalesofinjustice/index.shtml

And here's the index page for a bunch of the eBooks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/ebooks/index.shtml

Considering the fright I got from episode 6 with the Dalek, I simply cannot WAIT to see the terror that will be the new (hopefully) upgraded Cybermen! I have been very pleased with the new Doctor Who, I just hope the loss of Eccleston and Piper won't ruin what I consider one of the best doctor/companion relationships since Tom Baker's Doctor and Ramona.

Excellent. Although I don't really like what they did to the character in the last episode. I'm not a fan of Deus Ex Machina. It's (as far as I'm concerned) "low quality writing". Like "it's a dream" or "time travel to stop yourself from doing something"