Anyone get DC: TAS yet?

winterhawk

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anyone get DC: TAS yet?

Bought the PDF last week as soon as it went on sale. It's outstanding. Animated supers is a subject near and dear to my heart and I think the book nailed the subject matter. I'm not a big fan of Dark Champions-ish stuff, but there's enough here to use in a wide variety of campaigns.

I bought the .pdf from the online store this morning. It's quite possibly my favorite HERO book yet. Yes, I think it's that good.

Allen and Steve, and of course the usual suspects involved in production, I salute you.

are graphics included in .pdf's?

The writing is good but the layout and presentation is probably some of the worst I've ever seen in a Hero book. Too much white space and too many over-sized pics to try and make up for the lack of artwork; and way too much reused art from other products and from itself. The book should have either been 10 pages shorter or had more original art and additional text to fill in the space.

Edited to add: All based on the pdf. I haven't seen the print copy yet.

Just curious' date=' is the art presented in 'animated' style or Hero 'house' style?[/quote']

The art is in house style. The book would have been much better if they had decided to use Timm-style art though. It would have made a lot more sense.

I just got my print copy in the mail a few moments ago.

The chapter break pages for the Knights and Powers both say "Street-Level Supers: Hudson Powers." Kind of a big gaffe.

The book is also a serious contender for the worst art I have ever seen in a HERO product. I'm going to be running DC:TAS events at an ENWorld Gameday and at GenCon. I was hoping to use scans of NPCs and PCs from this book on the character sheets I hand out, but I definitely will put the kibbosh on that idea. No way am I going to risk showing a HERO newbie such poor quality work. I really hope DOJ saved a lot of money by using these artists.

(There are a few pieces by Greg Smith which are his usual good work. But only a handful.)

As for the content, I can't say. I can only hope Tharakzog is correct.

I would say the book *attempts* a more animated style. It just fails miserably.

Sorry to harp on this, but even for HERO, this art is atrocious. :thumbdown

Yeah, this is the worst looking book I have ever seen DOJ produce. If all the upcoming books are going to look like this then I'd rather see them cut production in half. I'd rather have 8 books I can be proud to own then 15 I don't want to show anyone. I hope DOJ saved a bundle on this and are spending it on Hidden Lands. I'm actually thinking I won't even purchase HL now until after I see it in a FLGS. That's how bad DC:TAS looks.

I'm actually thinking I won't even purchase HL now until after I see it in a FLGS. That's how bad DC:TAS looks.

Well, I'm not going that far. DC:TAS was obviously a minor book (one of the shortest in recent memory) with limited audience that didn't justify a big art budget.

I would have preferred less or no art than what was produced, though. Next time, commission one awesome piece for the cover that includes depictions of major elements of the book. Then, reproduce bits of said cover inside the book where appropriate. Redundant, but at least pleasing to the eye.

Well, I'm not going that far. DC:TAS was obviously a minor book (one of the shortest in recent memory) with limited audience that didn't justify a big art budget.

I would have preferred less or no art than what was produced, though. Next time, commission one awesome piece for the cover that includes depictions of major elements of the book. Then, reproduce bits of said cover inside the book where appropriate. Redundant, but at least pleasing to the eye.

It's not just art though. It's layout and presentation too. There's way too much white-space in the book. There are whole pages which have nothing but 1 picture and 12-20 lines of text on them. Just hazarding a guess I'd say there are 10 pages of white-space in the book. That's too much for a professional quality product. In a market place where presentation is becoming king this book looks like my senile uncle put it together. DOJ is not going to increase sales by putting out books like this, whether it's a minor book or not. Each book has the potential to bring new gamers to the system. This one fails, IMO.

Oh, man! I just found a "see page ???" in the first few pages! That's pretty rare for a HERO book.

I'm sure the content rocks, but... aww, man.

I'm pretty sure that's the only one of those errors, but apparently there's some artists' names missing as well because there's a comma after Greg Smith in the credits.

It's really time for DOJ to take a step back and really think about what they're doing. It seems like DOJ is trying to go to fasts and no one is taking the time to proof anything. If this book really has so little meaning to them then it might have just been better to cancel it, or at the very least just sell it as a text only pdf or something.

Guest darthvegita666

havent seen it yet but 27 $ is too much to spend for a minor book

how many pages is it?

havent seen it yet but 27 $ is too much to spend for a minor book

how many pages is it?

120pp.

Honestly, not that unreasonable when you're talking about anyone other than WotC or WW given the current climate. Granted, I'd feel better about the $27 (I paid full price ordering from the DOJ store, 'cause that's how much I love HERO!) if the book looked a little better.

Still, it's on very sturdy paper! :)

It seems like DOJ is trying to go to fasts and no one is taking the time to proof anything.

Let's not jump to conclusions. One book does not a trend make.

I'm not going to get my panties in a bind until I've read the whole thing. I just had a reaction to the art.

Let's not jump to conclusions. One book does not a trend make.

I'm not going to get my panties in a bind until I've read the whole thing. I just had a reaction to the art.

I'm not jumping to conclusion. Villainy Amok had and entire chart and map missing. The reason you get blueline books back from printers is so you can make sure there are no mistakes. DOJ isn't taking the time to carefully do that.

So that's two books in a row. Is it a trend yet?

I'm not jumping to conclusion. Villainy Amok had and entire chart and map missing. The reason you get blueline books back from publishers is so you can make sure there are no mistakes. So that's two books in a row. Is it a trend yet?

Hadn't had a chance to look at VA too closely, sorry.

Two is worse than one, but I'll wait and see. Maybe some DOJ folk will jump in here.