Mega Fantasy City Map - My latest project

keithcurtis

Re: Mega Fantasy City Map - My latest project

I lean more towards the side of magical production of food. The farmlands around Tallon abound with crops that are extremely high-yield, even by modern standards. A subtle "magic" and certainly none of the inhabitants would use the word. "Enhanced", maybe.

But you're right. It's a method of solving the big city in the middle of the wilderness problem.

Keith "better living through vegetables" Curtis

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canberra? The City in the middle of nowhere? :D

I've visited there a couple of times and always found it to be one of the most confusing cities to navigate - the way all the streets curl in on each other :eek:

But as you can probably tell, I like to travel a lot and I naturally gravitate to old cities - I'm going to spend 2 weeks in Istanbul at the end of this month - one week working and one week doing some sightseeing with my wife afterward. I've never been there before so I am looking forward to it.

Lisbon is on the list for later this year, with Prague as a possible (also London, Seattle, Washington, Ouagadougou, Bobo-Diauloasso and Addis Ababa).

I think that's the lot.

Cheers, Mark

I lean more towards the side of magical production of food. The farmlands around Tallon abound with crops that are extremely high-yield, even by modern standards. A subtle "magic" and certainly none of the inhabitants would use the word. "Enhanced", maybe.

But you're right. It's a method of solving the big city in the middle of the wilderness problem.

Keith "better living through vegetables" Curtis

Animate? Spirited? or Mineral?

• 2 years later...

My commission schedule finally has slowed down enough to let me work in a few personal projects. I've been working a lot with painted-style textures, and have applied that to my pet fantasy city project.

The full map is here.

To give you an idea of what I've done to it, here is a before and after comparison of some of the tiles:

Before

Tallon-Rendered_14.gif

After

Tallon-Rendered_14.jpg

Before

Tallon-Rendered_18.gif

After

Tallon-Rendered_18.jpg

Keith "Still shows up once in a while" Curtis

That map is amazing Keith! :thumbup:

Any chance of you making Savage Earth into a pdf or book in the near future?

Not much, for several reasons

1) I don't want to pay a Hero licensing fee, so I would need to

B) create a new system to run it or

third) convert it to an OGL system, which would

finally) take a lot of work

and) not generate enough revenue to make it worthwhile.

Keith "The whole thing's on-line anyway" Curtis

I can understand that. However, I really appreciate you posting it online. :D The setting captivated me the first time I looked at it. It seems to have a depth that few post apocalyptic settings manage to achieve.

Also - there is already a Savage Worlds published roleplaying game' date=' so there would have to be a name change?[/quote']

Don't think that hasn't annoyed me, especially since I "published" first.

Also, there is a Savage Earth TV series (about volcanoes), and some sort of Sci Fi novel called "Savage Earth" which is totally unlike my own creation.

There are also several instances of "Savage Realms" as RPG creations out there. I doubt I would have any legal difficulty, but I might consider a name change just to be carve out some identity space.

It seems like you'd need to call your game world "Xerquodius Squalazoxes" to be free from ambiguity.

Keith "Xerquodius Squalazoxes" Curtis

When/if you publish in paper, that would be a good time to name change - it can be all part of the "edition".

As to web publishing - it may be recognised as a form of publishing by libraries (I know we do) - but publishers often don't. But then, publishers are notorious for all sorts of sins - such as re-using ISBNs, putting typos in them, mixing editions, back cover blurbs or just not having material edited before it is published

It seems like you'd need to call your game world "Xerquodius Squalazoxes" to be free from ambiguity.

Actually that name may already be taken.... :eek:

In any case... Awesome Map.

Don't think that hasn't annoyed me, especially since I "published" first.

Also, there is a Savage Earth TV series (about volcanoes), and some sort of Sci Fi novel called "Savage Earth" which is totally unlike my own creation.

There are also several instances of "Savage Realms" as RPG creations out there. I doubt I would have any legal difficulty, but I might consider a name change just to be carve out some identity space.

I don't know if you've ever gone that way, Keith, but there's also a nursery on the road out of Kingston (the west end of the ferry going to Edmonds) which has a big sign that says "SAVAGE PLANTS".

Keith, if and when I come into a stack o' cash, I would gladly cover the licensing fee and publication costs. I've wanted to see a published Savage Earth HERO book for a long time, for a lot of reasons. :yes:

There's enough other academics here that maybe we could set up Yet Another Phony Web University, accept the manuscript and a small tuition check, and then grant Keith a degree and publish it as a doctoral thesis. Then hire him as chair of the art department or something.

Hmmmmmmmm. :think: