Mental Powers

Re: Mental Powers

Ah' date=' right, yes, should have realized anyway, thx.[/quote']

I should have typed it out.

The book's default builds around the detect groups concept that make up senses. It assumes that all the mental powers at base cost get the ability to detect and attack a limited class of minds, i.e. one class.

This matches normal vision which gets visible light. If you want IR (or machine minds) added to the default- you pay extra for it.

However that's not the only way to look at things. Another way is by thinking of Classes of Minds as different languages or encoding. A Classes can shout all they want to a different class, but they won't be understood rendering powers like Mind Control, Telepathy, Mental Illusions and the like useless (unless they paid for a translator).

Under this model, while it would be impossible to deliver a command in the same way it would be impossible for a AM receiver to decode FM- you could still EMP pulse the radio and wreck no matter what it was set up to understand.

It may also be possible to still mind scan.

This opens up some very genre like results. For one example, Damage Shield Ego Blasts across classes. "I attempt to reach his mind professor, and it was... I can't describe it. scent as colors, vision as sound. The pain was horrible...".

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic