Greatest Western Movies of all Time

McCoy

Re: Greatest Western Movies of all Time

Just as a toss in, I'm wondering if "Last of the Mohicans" would apply. I really liked that movie, even if it was a bit "predictable". It strikes me that LotM, along with Quigley, are really the only good westerns to have been made in some time. Even though the genre is still being made, most of what comes out now is poop. It seems.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a toss in' date=' I'm wondering if "Last of the Mohicans" would apply. I really liked that movie, even if it was a bit "predictable". It strikes me that LotM, along with Quigley, are really the only good westerns to have been made in some time. Even though the genre is still being made, most of what comes out now is poop. It seems.[/quote']

If you haven't seen Open Range, put it on your must-see list. It's excellent.

I'm not sure I'd class LotM as a Western - it's set even before you jolly old colonials kicked our British bums back to where we belonged.

But if others allow LotM, allow me to also suggest the two great Richard Harris early-"Westerns" - A Man Called Horse and Return of a Man Called Horse.

Fine actor, Harris. Later to be the Duck of Death in Unforgiven...

For serious cowboy fare, these are the best for my money.

Tombstone (the one with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer)

Open Range

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

For a Few Dollars More

Quigley Down Under

Unforgiven

Or, if you want a good Western-style chuckle, give "They Call Me Trinity" and "They Still Call Me Trinity" a shot - those are all sorts of fun.

Can't think of any more than haven't been mentioned. Damn, now I feel like watching cowboy movies.

j

Nothing outstanding coming from me. Everything I like has been mentioned. Eastwood's movies, Shane, True Grit, The Sons of Katie Elder.

I've never seen The Cowboys all the way through, but the first time I remember it, I was kind of puttering around doing other stuff with the TV on. But when the bad guys were about to hang that one guy and his "final" words were "forgive me for the men I have killed in anger, and for those I'm about to" it hit me like a ton of bricks. That guy had balls like church bells. I really need to rent that movie some time.

I was flipping channels late one night and found it. My dad walked in a couple minutes later. It was already hours past his normal bedtime, We sat and watched the whole thing, and had tears in our eyes. :(

My top 6 in order:

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Shane

Unforgiven

Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

The Wild Bunch

Honorable Mention:

Tombstome

High Noon

Rooster Cogburn

The Quick And The Dead

Let's see... some of my favorites and/or best Westerns:

A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER

ONE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

OUTLAW JOSE WALES

SILVERADO

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE UGLY

UNFORGIVEN

Also:

BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

TOMBSTONE

THE WILD BUNCH

and for the sheer cheese factor:

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Gunfight at the OK Corral with Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp, Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday and in a very small role a man who would achieve stardom as an old country doctor in space... DeForest Kelly as Morgan Earp.

And a guilty pleasure for me is Draw! starring James Coburn and Kirk Douglas.

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Gunfight at the OK Corral with Burt Lancaster as Wyatt Earp' date=' Kirk Douglas as Doc Holliday and in a very small role a man who would achieve stardom as an old country doctor in space... DeForest Kelly as Morgan Earp.[/quote']

OK...Gunfight at the OK Corral is a great movie, but I still love CATLOW a lot more.

For that matter, any film with Yul Brynner :hail: is tops on my list of favorites, as you well know.

Also, I love all of the Clint Eastwood :hail: westerns (especially the "Spaghetti Westerns")...he just is such a fantastic actor, he brings his characters alive, and makes them believable.

OK if we get to add camp like "Support your local sheriff" then we can't forget "The Apple Dumpling Gang" and "The Shakiest Gun in the West".

As for TV Series....my top ten would be

The Rifleman

Have Gun Will Travel

Branded

The Lone Ranger

Rawhide

Wagontrain

Alias Smith and Jones

Briscoe County Junior

The Wild Wild West

And the original Maverick

Some other great older classics....

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

And anything starring Audie Murphy or Randolph Scott... :bmk:

OK...Gunfight at the OK Corral is a great movie' date=' but I still love CATLOW a lot more.

For that matter, any film with Yul Brynner :hail: is tops on my list of favorites, as you well know.

Also, I love all of the Clint Eastwood :hail: westerns (especially the "Spaghetti Westerns")...he just is such a fantastic actor, he brings his characters alive, and makes them believable.

Hey I like Catlow too, Baldy, as you are also aware.

And as for Yul Brynner, I don't think I ever seen him give a bad performance.

But the perfomances in Gunfight at the OK Corral were just as good. Particularly Douglas, he had me believing he couldn't win a fistfight with a healthy 16-year-old. This is Kirk Douglas... the man who exudes I can kick your scrawny ass by just smiling at you! That's acting.

BTW did you ever see a western he did with Henry Fonda called The Was a Crooked Man? Excellent movie with some fine supporting perfomances by Burgess Meredith and Alan Hale jr.

Nice link' date=' thanks. It reminded me of some great westerns I had forgotton about like [i']The Searchers[/i].

I know what you mean...

I found the link a few days ago, after this thread started. I've been thinking about Western Hero quite a bit recently. I want to capture the gritty style of the "Spaghetti Westerns" in my game. I am searching a little more frequently for materials nowadays for my research.

I am hoping to make this game a reality.

First off, almost any film by John Ford, Sam Peckinpah, or Sergio Leone.

SuperPheemy's Favorites:

The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

The Shootist

Silverado

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

True Grit

The Wild Bunch

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The Quick and the Dead

High Plains Drifter

Unforgiven

Lonesome Dove

• 2 weeks later...

To "Nevereverend" "Bruce Cassidy and the Sundance Kid " ? Sounds like the Australian version to me ! An interesting western turned up on Pay T V in Sydney last night "The Ox Bow Incident" and I believe that "Invitation To A Gunfighter" with Yul Bryner is on later this week ! I must say that I am pleased that so many of the folks here like "Silverado", a favorite of mine that I have always considered to be underappreciated by the movie gowing public. I also think that the westerns of Anthony Mann, particularly those made with James Stewart ("Winchester '73", "Bend Of The River",etc) are excellent as well !

OK...Gunfight at the OK Corral is a great movie' date=' but I still love CATLOW a lot more.

Even "The ultimate Warrior?"

:(

Even "The ultimate Warrior?"

:(

Yes...Yul Brynner was probably the best thing about The Ultimate Warrior...actually, probably the only thing good about that one.

Or...Were You talking about The Ultimate Warrior?

After all, most "professional wrestlers" should probably receive some sort of acting award...probably for "Most 'Over The Top' Performance in a Supporting Role"... :lol:

Okay I will admit it isn't actually a "movie" but I think that the T V programme "Deadwood" deserves a mention. It's tough, gritty, at times downright nasty with some of the most unsavory characters ever seen in a tv western (and some of the worst language ! If I had a dollar for every obscenity I could retire rich !).

• 4 years later...

In no particular order' date=' save [i']The Searchers[/i]. It is in the correct position

The Searchers

Rio Bravo

High Noon

The Outlaw Josey Wales

My Darling Clementine

The Ox-Bow Incident

Shane

Shenandoah

Ride the High Country

The Big Country

Man Without a Star

I like the cut of your jib "Ghost Archer". Although I would be inclined to cheat a bit and bracket "El Dorado" with "Rio Bravo" (same movie, slightly altered casts) both films were written by noted S F (and Western) author Leigh Brackett.