Pop Culture Hero?

hooligan x

i'm trying to assemble a one-shot for a con featuring movie characters from the late 70's and early 80's, fighting vampires. I'm trying to pick characters who are a little tounge-in-cheek. So far I've decided on Philo Beddoe and Clyde from Every Which Way But Loose, Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, and possibly the Bandit from Smokey and the Bandit.

Any Ideas for me? And where can I find an orangatang figure?

Re: Pop Culture Hero?

Buckaroo Banzai was the first one to pop into my head as well, but I realized that compared to the other characters he's probably WAY to much of a stud.

How about Chris Knight (Val Kilmer's character) from Real Genius?

Less of a scrapper, more of a mental probelm solver/scientist/gadgeteer type (I can't recall...he was supposed to be, what, the 4th most intellegent person in the world?)

Buckaroo Banzai was the first one to pop into my head as well, but I realized that compared to the other characters he's probably WAY to much of a stud.

How about Chris Knight (Val Kilmer's character) from Real Genius?

Less of a scrapper, more of a mental probelm solver/scientist/gadgeteer type (I can't recall...he was supposed to be, what, the 4th most intellegent person in the world?)

I think he was actually third. The blonde from the post-grad job Knight was going for went after him, then the kid (whose name eludes me) and then Lazlo (who was #1).

Props to the blonde for "Mmm, he is now." :jawdrop:

Yes. Buckaroo was the second guy I thought of, but if BB ran into a vampire nest, he'd get together a Blue Blaze strike team and wipe them out in no time. I was tying with Ash from Evil Dead, but he kind of falls outside of the time frame. Keep the suggestions coming!

Since it is on TV it dawned on me, how about Fletch? Not as apt with physical confrontation, but good with disguises and persuasion. I can think of several others from that era that would qualify, but they are from TV and not movies. Still, I have to throw out the Duke boys, I’m sure they would be able to hold their ground against a vampire or two.

I'll keep at it... maybe a little too early in the 70's but what about Kolchak, The Night Stalker? Or, and I can't believe I'm typing this, The Knight Rider?

Uhm... Ponch from CHIPS? Edith from All in the Family?

Actually, scratch that. No one would ever play Erik Estrada.

Lee

Yes. Buckaroo was the second guy I thought of' date=' but if BB ran into a vampire nest, he'd get together a Blue Blaze strike team and wipe them out in no time. I was tying with Ash from [i']Evil Dead[/i], but he kind of falls outside of the time frame. Keep the suggestions coming!

Ash popped up in '81 in Evil Dead then there was time travel, so it should work just fine.

How about Lane Meyer from Better Off Dead? If he can ski the K12 on one ski he can fight vampires.

Ferris Beuller' date=' The A Team, Tango & Cash, James Bond, The Hardy Boys, Miss Marple, Murder She Wrote, The Fonz, Archie, Delta Force, The Goodies, The Goonies...[/quote']

That reminds me...anyone even WANT to do a decent writeup on te A-Team? And how about Author "The Fonz" Fonzarelli? I mean, he can summon women with a snap of his fingers. And can control macherie with a simple thump of his closed fist. Plus he was just ooozing cool.

I'm sticking with theatrical films for now. I want characters who've never fought vampires before. Oh, and no Coreys.

Possibles are:

Jack Burton (mullet, sweet Tec-9)

Philo Beddoe (boxer, ape sidekick)

John Shaft (bad mother..*SHUT YOUR MOUTH!* Just talkin' about shaft!)

Ash (chainsaw, boomstick)

Lloyd Dobbler (kickboxing, Clash shirt)

Chandler Jarrell (leather hat, tibetan dagger)

I'd like to have ten or so characters and let the players pick from them.

Now, any women? Also, should Clyde be a PC or NPC? Who would turn down a chance to play a big orange ape?

I'm sticking with theatrical films for now. I want characters who've never fought vampires before. Oh, and no Coreys.

Possibles are:

Jack Burton (mullet, sweet Tec-9)

Philo Beddoe (boxer, ape sidekick)

John Shaft (bad mother..*SHUT YOUR MOUTH!* Just talkin' about shaft!)

Ash (chainsaw, boomstick)

Lloyd Dobbler (kickboxing, Clash shirt)

Chandler Jarrell (leather hat, tibetan dagger)

I'd like to have ten or so characters and let the players pick from them.

Now, any women? Also, should Clyde be a PC or NPC? Who would turn down a chance to play a big orange ape?

I'd do Clyde as a follower.... Cylde would be the main reason for playing Philo.

Howzabout Laurie Strode for a female character? Post 1st movie.

After dealing with her brother, vampires might not be so bad.

I'll keep the old mental wheels spinning

Howzabout Laurie Strode for a female character? Post 1st movie.

After dealing with her brother, vampires might not be so bad.

I'll keep the old mental wheels spinning

Whoa, now I'm thinking an all John Carpenter Hero game! Jack, Laurie, Snake, um, more Kurt Russell... Ice Cube...

Well, maybe not.

Whoa, now I'm thinking an all John Carpenter Hero game! Jack, Laurie, Snake, um, more Kurt Russell... Ice Cube...

Well, maybe not.

While I'd not reccomend hiom as a PC, if you want to go the John Carpenter route, you could always use Jack Crow as an NPC the players get a little sarcasm and well needed advice from.

Of course, the movie version of Vampire$ pretty much sucked (James Woods was fun tho), but it did capture the essential spirit of Jack Crow. Do yourself a favor and read the book sometimme.. its well worth it.

While I'd not reccomend hiom as a PC, if you want to go the John Carpenter route, you could always use Jack Crow as an NPC the players get a little sarcasm and well needed advice from.

Of course, the movie version of Vampire$ pretty much sucked (James Woods was fun tho), but it did capture the essential spirit of Jack Crow. Do yourself a favor and read the book sometimme.. its well worth it.

I've read Steakley's Vampire$ and Armour. He recycled the character names from Armour for some odd reason. Armour was very Starship Troopers, but a good read.