Helping a Newbie

Taurren

Its been many years since I played Champions ( late 80's?) but the dang bug has bit me once again, and I feel the need for Talon's wings to once again unfurl. But I find that I have somehow misplaced my rule books, although I still have a bunch of the older adventures.

My plan is to run a DC game for players who have never played Champions.

The books I have are as follows

Justice Not Law #430

Hudson City Blues #438

Ninja Hero #501

Cyber Hero #505

Champs Universe #421

Mystic Masters #405

Then I have a few adventures such as Primus & Demon, Challenges for Champions, Invasion: Target Earth, Atlas Unleashed, Champions Presents.

So here are my questions

Do I need to buy both Champions and Hero 5th Ed (Revised)?

How easy is it to convert old material on Hudson City to the latest edition?

After the rulebook, which books would you suggest I buy next?

Thanks for the help

Re: Helping a Newbie

Well could use what you have right there so long as you have say a copy of 4th edition hero system rules or Big Blue. The changes are not overwhelming not like Ad&d2nd to 3rd. Almost 90% of the original hero system remains intact between 4th and 5th edition.

http://theemerged.blogspot.com/HERO425.htm

this lil url has a listing of the changes that where made between 4th and 5th it doesnt list 5th to 5er but those where not to extensive just adding additional material a couple costs changes fixing errors and giving more examples of stuff.

As Far as Adaptability well the normal super hero point base got a boost but for DC im not sure it will matter much.

If i where to recommend buying anything id say just buy the new %ed revised and then decide from there if you wanna upgrade.

Nope the revised rules only have the core mechanics in them no setting information. The setting information has however changed from Champions 4th to the modern setting thats detailed in the champions setting book. i was speaking mainly of rules conversions.

No, the Revised rules contain all of the core rules for any genre. The Champions book shows how to apply those rules to a superhero game. I would recommend buying the new Dark Champions setting book and the Revised 5th edition between those two you'd have everything you need to get going. If your players are new to Hero you might also consider a copy or two of Hero Sidekick, it is a pared down version of the core rules designed to introduce new players to the system. Then if you want to convert your other books it is not too far of a leap. Good luck!

If you buy the HERO System Fifth Edition rulebook you'll have virtually all the rules for running any genre of game with HERO. There are various options for better emulating a particular genre in the genre books like Champions, Fantasy HERO[/i] etc., but those are for the most part extrapolated from the core rules.

Note that Dark Champions Fifth Edition isn't the same book as Fourth Edition DC. Whereas the 4E book focussed specifically on "street-level" supers, the DC 5E covers all areas of modern adventure: crimefighting and investigation, military, espionage, black ops, weird conspiracy. Street-level supers is just one subgenre that it deals with. You'll still find stats for guns and equipment in the like in it, even more than in the original DC.

OTOH the Champions genre book deals with the other subgenres of superheroes. If your interest is the kind of game that Dark Champions 4E originally covered, I'd say that you could give it a pass. You might get more use out of the new Hudson City: The Urban Abyss which builds on the original Hudson City setting, as well as Dark Champions: The Animated Series which addresses street-level supers.

Damn ...

looks like I'm going to have to buy Champions, DC and The Urban Abyss.

oh well ... cant say that I'm to disappointed, it just might take a few more weeks to get them all.

Thanks for all the advice.

You don't have to get Champions, although DoJ would like you to, you could just get the 5er, DC, and DC: The Animated Series. The last one is for doing street level supers.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn ...

looks like I'm going to have to buy Champions, DC and The Urban Abyss.

oh well ... cant say that I'm to disappointed, it just might take a few more weeks to get them all.

Thanks for all the advice.

Taurren,

You didn't mention having the rules themselves. If you just buy Champions and Dark Champions you will not have any of the actual rules. You need at least one copy of Hero 5th or at least Sidekick.

Spence