How about the Ultimate Disadvantaged?

zornwil

You know what, it sounded silly at first - but I kind of agree. I don't think it will ever be a book itself, or even a large section of any one book. But there's no denying it, having a resource like this with just TONS of disadvantages would be extremely handy and help spark ideas for characters. I know sometimes it gets tough finding 150 points of disadvantages. After the first 75 points or so I find myself really straining my brain to think of new ideas for disadvantages.

Originally posted by Nato

You know what, it sounded silly at first - but I kind of agree. I don't think it will ever be a book itself, or even a large section of any one book. But there's no denying it, having a resource like this with just TONS of disadvantages would be extremely handy and help spark ideas for characters. I know sometimes it gets tough finding 150 points of disadvantages. After the first 75 points or so I find myself really straining my brain to think of new ideas for disadvantages.

Absolutely... I think this is a great idea... and though the List was added above, I am sure we can all come up with really creative uses for disadvantages in our campaign. Ogier300 has several creative ones o his Ironman thread:

1) Using the company business as a DNPC (as a target of corporate espionage/Hostile takeover)

and

2) Stringing a Characters entire rogues gallery in one hunted...

Originally posted by Monolith

I do the same thing, only I give a 10 point Gallery Bonus to the Hunted Disad to signify that it covers several Hunteds.

I think that's a really clever idea. I can't believe I never thought of that. It's perfect for characters like Flash, Batman and Ironman that have such a colorful roster of Rogues to choose from and allows you to use the hunted without boring the player:

"Oh... it's Hunted-Man... my Hunted... wow... what a surprise..."

I'll buy THAT for a dollar!

I would certainly pick up The Ultimate Disadvantage. Maybe it would not be a big book, but you could certainly fill a pamphlet. It would be handy for experienced players as well as gamers from other systems who have a difficult time thinking up disadvantages. I mean really? Why would anyone voluntarily take a disadvantage? :D

It has potential, but I think it would need to be handled carefully. For any Disad that has a commonality modifier, the value will change from campaign to campaign; not all things are equally common in all campaigns. You wouldn't want to see players insisting on getting "x" number of points "because the book said that's how much its worth."

I think a more useful and interesting approach would be a comprehensive look at what kind of obstacles heroes in fiction often face, how these classic themes translate into Hero mechanics, and how GMs and players can decide on how common and severe they are.

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

For any Disad that has a commonality modifier, the value will change from campaign to campaign; not all things are equally common in all campaigns. You wouldn't want to see players insisting on getting "x" number of points "because the book said that's how much its worth."

This is true, but just having a huge list of different disadvantage examples wpuld be helpful. For generating ideas and stuff.

Originally posted by Monolith

I do the same thing, only I give a 10 point Gallery Bonus to the Hunted Disad to signify that it covers several Hunteds.

Actually you could do something like this:

+2 points x2 Gallery foes

+4 points x4 Gf

+6 points x8 Gf

+8 points x16 Gf

So if the Hunted was a 20-pointer, then for 28 points you'd have 16 foes in your Gallery.

The old HERO standard of "+x points, double the effect" would fit nicely, I think.

The only problem is that I'd REALLY prefer it to be +5 point groups, but if your Gallery was (like, say, Batman's or the Flash's) that big, you'd have a 40-point Hunted, and that might be a bit much for some people's taste.

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

The old HERO standard of "+x points, double the effect" would fit nicely, I think.

The only problem is that I'd REALLY prefer it to be +5 point groups, but if your Gallery was (like, say, Batman's or the Flash's) that big, you'd have a 40-point Hunted, and that might be a bit much for some people's taste.

Well, in spots, like with clips of charges, that x2 jumps to x4 in Hero system... You might go with +5 => x4 Foes...

Re: Lists of Disads

Originally posted by SirViss

Hope the owner doesn't mind my advertising his site, but I found this page to have lots of good disads:

The Master Lists

Check the lower left corner.

And I am pretty sure that he is looking for more disads to add to his lists...

I'm sure he doesn't mind; in fact, I'm a little surprised he didn't post that link himself.

Originally posted by tiger

You forgot to list the Adventurer's Clubs 1-27 on your list

No I didn't. The Adventurer's Clubs aren't books; they're magazines. If I list them, then I would logically also need to start trying to find and list Hero-related articles in all magazines, and that's a hornet's nest I don't want to get into. :)

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Lists of Disads

Originally posted by SirViss

Hope the owner doesn't mind my advertising his site, but I found this page to have lots of good disads:

The Master Lists

Check the lower left corner.

And I am pretty sure that he is looking for more disads to add to his lists...

I never mind free publicity, and I am always looking out for new disads for the list.

On another subject, I sent in a formal proposal for the type of book you're talking about, and was told that there's no plan for such a volume, but thanks for the interest. :(

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Re: Lists of Disads

Originally posted by Christougher

I'm sure he doesn't mind; in fact, I'm a little surprised he didn't post that link himself.

My login to the new boards has been wonky up until about an hour ago, so I never got a chance to reply. :D