Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest The JeRQ

Did you know?

Re: Did you know?

To be blunt, Clinton did damage the credibility of the Presidency. He was not the first, nor will he be the last. In the greater scheme of things, however, I'd rather have the philandering president who leaves the country in better shape than when he took office, as opposed to the the monogamous one who apparently can't spend the country into the ground fast enough through huge increases in the size of government and expensive unnecessary wars.

Funny thing about that... We had all of the above when we went into Afghanistan to get Osama. It was when this administration abandoned that mandate and pursued a war with Iraq that the rest of the world started to disagree with us.

We did not go into Afghanistan to "get Osama", but to destroy the Taliban as a sanctuary and facilitator for Al Quaeda and potential future terror attacks on the US and its allies. It was not a criminal justice matter about one person. It was a war againast an army of enemies who didn't wear uniforms or respect national borders or international conventions.

We did not go into Afghanistan to "get Osama"' date=' but to destroy the Taliban as a sanctuary and facilitator for Al Quaeda and potential future terror attacks on the US and its allies.[/quote']

And yet we still haven't put down the Taliban, who killed 19 SEALs just last month. It is my opinion that the real War on Terror is in Afghanistan, and that invading Iraq served only to suck resources away from there while giving AQ excellent propaganda and a large pool of potential recruits. The invasion of Iraq was therefore an unforgivable mistake on the part of the people who made it.

I am sure you disagree.

So' date=' not to sound flippant, but... are you guys still calling them "freedom fries" down there?[/quote']

A few stupid American's say some stupid things and it's assumed that all American's say them. I hate that.

A few stupid American's say some stupid things and it's assumed that all American's say them. I hate that.

I assume from your post that all Americans don't know how to use the apostrophe correctly. :D

http://amconmag.com/2005_07_18/article.html

An interesting article from American Conservative magazine. I'm not sure I fully agree with the conclusions drawn, but it is food for thought.

Bill.

Osama bin Laden’s speeches and sermons run 40 and 50 pages long. They begin by calling tremendous attention to the presence of tens of thousands of American combat forces on the Arabian Peninsula.

In 1996, he went on to say that there was a grand plan by the United States—that the Americans were going to use combat forces to conquer Iraq, break it into three pieces, give a piece of it to Israel so that Israel could enlarge its country, and then do the same thing to Saudi Arabia. As you can see, we are fulfilling his prediction, which is of tremendous help in his mobilization appeals.

So if "we are fulfilling his prediction," then the professor agrees with the thesis that one reason for the Iraq invasion was to give a piece of it to Israel, blanking out the fact that they have their hands full dealing with the adjacent Palestinian territory and that there is a sovereign state called Jordan in between Palestine and Iraq.

Well, whaddya expect from a magazine run by Pat Buchanan?

JG

So if "we are fulfilling his prediction," then the professor agrees with the thesis that one reason for the Iraq invasion was to give a piece of it to Israel, blanking out the fact that they have their hands full dealing with the adjacent Palestinian territory and that there is a sovereign state called Jordan in between Palestine and Iraq.

Well, whaddya expect from a magazine run by Pat Buchanan?

JG

Hey, Pat's not anti-Semitic, he just has allergies ;)

Hey' date=' Pat's not anti-Semitic, he just has allergies ;)[/quote']

Or as Al Franken put it, "He may not be a Nazi, but he was awfully chummy with a lot of people who were."

JG

We did not go into Afghanistan to "get Osama"' date=' but to destroy the Taliban as a sanctuary and facilitator for Al Quaeda and potential future terror attacks on the US and its allies. It was not a criminal justice matter about one person. It was a war againast an army of enemies who didn't wear uniforms or respect national borders or international conventions.[/quote']

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."

- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"

- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."

- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool,

The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on

official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."

- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."

- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,

3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Besides, my point is, If Bush had stuck to Afghanistan, and done the job right, He would have had united this country and restored our standing in the world. Afghanistan was the only war action I ever supported. I have friends who oppose war on principle, and when we decided to go into Afghanistan, I realised I was not one of them. In contrast, The war in Iraq was ill-defined from the start, built on faulty reasoning and without a clear goal. Plus we have been fighting it since GWB I. I didn't like it then, I didn't like it during the Clinton Administration, and I didn't like it once we stopped bombing the hell out of them and started making the war personal. The idea that we can go into a foreign country, create a government, and make the world safer doesn't work. In fact, it's how Bin Laden and Hussein became Bim Laden and Hussein.

If Bush had stuck to Afghanistan' date=' and done the job right, He would have had united this country and restored our standing in the world. Afghanistan was the only war action I ever supported.[/quote']

I find your use of capitalization most ironic. :)

Yeah, I meant he, as in Bush, not He as in Him. That last paragraph, like most of mine, are running skirmishes that change fronts a dozen times before they are finished. Often the first word of a sentence becomes the casualty of a semicolon. Sometimes, I lack a coherent exit strategy...

In other words' date=' proof of complicity in the activity and permission from the UN, the French, Germans, and Russians is only applicable to the Bush administration and Republican Congress. Thank you for coming right out and saying it.[/quote']

Huh?

Totally do not understand how you get that out of what I said.

What I said is that Bush should have followed through on what he said, gotten Osama bin Laden, no matter where he is hiding.

Combat engineer battalions' date=' as you well know, do not do Special Ops covert search and destroy missions.[/quote']

On the other hand, they are very good at building roadblocks and checkpoints to make sure that the person you are looking for does not sneek back into an area you've already cleared.

It was his Idea that was presented to congress and altouugh it doesn't force companies it does make it cheaper and easier for them to do so.

Check the history. NAFTA was taken to the Senate by George Herbert Walker Bush. This was not a campagine issue in 1992 because both Bush and Clinton endorsed the agreement. It was Ross Perot that was rabidly against it.

Yeah' date=' I meant he, as in Bush, not He as in Him. That last paragraph, like most of mine, are running skirmishes that change fronts a dozen times before they are finished. Often the first word of a sentence becomes the casualty of a semicolon. Sometimes, I lack a coherent exit strategy...[/quote']

When writing I try to maintain a blitzkrieg or steamroller momentum that is only slowed by my own inability to operate a keyboard. I find that if I am reduced to a holding action, sniping at particular words or phrases, I lose all coherency and thus the conflict.

Because every child that sees there's a better way to live is another child that won't be piloting an aircraft of civilians into buildings.

Been following the investigation of the bombings in London? While all of Packastani descent, all four of the prime suspects were born and raised in England. One was a University Graduate. Another a new father. Did they have better things to do than strap bombs to their chest and blow up trains and busses? Yet that's what they did.

So I ask again, how is making life better for the Iraquis making Americans safer?

How did it make America safer to rebuild West Germany, Japan and South Korea?

JG

By using them as massive staging areas during the Cold War. Nor do I believe we ignored another enemy while doing so.

By using them as massive staging areas during the Cold War. Nor do I believe we ignored another enemy while doing so.

I think Iraq qualifies as a "massive staging area" in the War on Terror. I do think, in retrospect, that if we didn't have the ground forces to finish things in Afghanistan and Iraq simultaneously that we should have waited until things were stabilized in Afghanistan and bin Laden was dealt with- confirming that success before performing another "experiement in democracy."

Having said that, I'm not gonna cry over the fact that Hussein is in prison and his psychotic sons are dead.

JG