Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Black Lotus

Garfield Sucks.

Re: Garfield Sucks.

By the way' date=' I personally feel "Holla Back Girl" is purposely geared towards a certain age/ culture demographic, and is therefore repugnant.[/quote']

OK I don't want to fan the flames, but don't mess with my girl Gwen...

Seriously though, if that age/culture demographic you speak of is not college educated punk/ska lovers in their thirties, I think you missed the boat here. The beat is clearly that of the "steppin'" variety found in historically black fratenities and college marching bands, as shown in Spike Lee's "School Daze" mixed with the Ska horns that defined the No Doubt sound back before she was the lead singer. Plus, she makes references to Highlander ("there can only be one"), Queen ("another one bites the dust"), The Good the Bad and The Ugly ("I'm the last one standing,") and Laugh in ("gonna sock it to you") in one verse...

I hear this song and I hear a woman reliving her high school/middle school experience. I had to do this once in Catholic High School. a kid started throwing food at our table (The gamer table, of course), and I walked up to him and told him he had to stop. He sneered at me and said "What are you gonna do about it?". I punched him in the head so hard he fell out of his chair. He told me he was going to kick my behind after school, but he never showed up.

I hear this song and I am taken back to that time of fight or flight hormone infested youth. I look at Gwen's history, and I have to believe that she was that punk girl in the 80's, warning a cheerleader to put up or shut up. It sounds authentic to me, and not a repugnant exploitation.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with whatever battle is going on in this thread, I just had to back up my Gwen...

Very funny satire article concerning Garfield' date=' an orange comic-strip cat who stopped being funny approximately... before I was born. Today, corporations (and Jim Davis) use Garfield's images to make a fortune in licensing and merchandising sales. Also, Jim Davis does not draw the comic any more. He "farms it out" to a company called PAWS, where lesser artists now actually draw Garfield. So what [i']does[/i] Jim Davis do all day?

Linky: The Best Page In The Universe: Garfield Sucks.

Warning: Cursewords and political incorrectness abound on this website. It is work-safe, however. Proceed at your own risk.

OK...First I'll state my opinion on Garfield...the fat, lasagna-eating cat.

Garfield has lost his edge, I do admit...but the comic strip is still funnier than the page you provided the link to, or even the parent webpage LOCATED HERE. His suppossed claim of "The Best Page in the Universe" is so far from funny...that it should carry the title "The Most Vulger Page in the Universe". FOUR-Letter Words or vulgar explicatives interjected all over do not make you funny...the comedians Red Skelton, Bill Cosby, and Rita Rudner (and a host of others through the ages) have proved that fact time and time again.

Satire is not vulgarly expressing your opinions, claiming that it's funny. Satire is...

sat·ire - n.

1. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
  2. The branch of literature constituting such works. See Synonyms at caricature.
  3. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.

Or even perhaps...

Satire - n: witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Johathan Swift [syn: sarcasm, irony, caustic remark]

What you have on this website is somebody expressing their opinions, and trying to be vulgar because he thinks that somebody will listen if he's REALLY LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!!!

Today's lesson has ended...Class Dismissed.

Focusing solely on Garfield… the problem I have isn’t that the comic stopped being funny, but I feel that I have read the same gag twenty to thirty times. It has the same level of funny, but for me it is stale. Peanuts reuses gags, but they are done in a manner that is fresh. I feel warm and fuzzy when I see a gag re-done with a minor twist. With Garfield I just don’t have that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Granted I didn't read much of the posted site, since I already had a dim view of the comic.

Is this a bad thread to say I enjoyed the movie adaption of Garfield?

It's good to hear that somebody liked it. I had yet to read anything good about it.

Garfield has lost his edge' date=' I do admit...but the comic strip is still funnier than the page you provided the link to, or even the parent webpage LOCATED HERE.

Okay, most of that was foul-mouthed drivel, but I did find one thing funny: The claim that LOTR (the movie) sucked because it didn't have Lopan (BTILC) in it. That made me laugh. The rest made me yawn.

How long ago WAS that? I can't remember. I may not have even been born then.

I don't recall. Odie originally belonged to Lyman. If Davis had stuck with his expanding cast instead of reducing it, Garfield might still be as funny as it used to be. When was the last time anyone saw Arlene in the comic?

I don't recall. Odie originally belonged to Lyman. If Davis had stuck with his expanding cast instead of reducing it' date=' Garfield might still be as funny as it used to be. When was the last time anyone saw Arlene in the comic?[/quote']

Or that little micro-cat... Nermal? was it?

Guest Black Lotus

I remember seeing all of those characters in the "Garfield and Friends" Saturday morning cartoons. Can't really recall seeing them in the comic strip, though. EDIT: So, it must have been before my time, or else I don't remember much of early-nineties Garfield.

Me neither. I don't like the older me.

Say... Enforcer, you might like this. It's sitting on my shelf next to my Baiken and Jam statues: