Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Black Lotus

Garfield Sucks.

Guest Black Lotus

Very funny satire article concerning Garfield, an orange comic-strip cat who stopped being funny approximately... before I was born. Today, corporations (and Jim Davis) use Garfield's images to make a fortune in licensing and merchandising sales. Also, Jim Davis does not draw the comic any more. He "farms it out" to a company called PAWS, where lesser artists now actually draw Garfield. So what does Jim Davis do all day?

Linky: The Best Page In The Universe: Garfield Sucks.

Warning: Cursewords and political incorrectness abound on this website. It is work-safe, however. Proceed at your own risk.

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Garfield Sucks.

*Shrugs*

I tried...but I just couldn't find the supposed 'funniness'. The quality of the 'art' gave me a slight chuckle though.

Pardon me, Jeff. I've promised to be polite from now on, and to get all of my facts straight, so I will.

Phrases such as "supposed 'funniness'" insult the person who asserted that the article was funny in the first place. Let's look up "supposed" in Wicked Words (full bibliography available upon request), shall we? "Supposed" is listed in this same book as a synonym for "so-called". Quote available upon request.

So-called: Dubious' date=' spurious, illegitimate, fake. "Rose Macaulay [1881--1958'] noticed a tendency to prefix 'so-called' to almost any adjective when it was used of those the speaker hated; the final absurdity being reached when people referred to Germans as 'these so-called Germans' " (C.S. Lewis, Studies in Words, 1960. *snip*

While you weren't referring to my person, you were referring to my opinion of the page as being funny as "dubious, spurious, illegitimate, fake". Please don't; it makes me uncomfortable.

A polite way to say what you said would be: "I didn't think it was very funny, but the art was good."

Pardon me, Jeff. I've promised to be polite from now on, and to get all of my facts straight, so I will.

Phrases such as "supposed 'funniness'" insult the person who asserted that the article was funny in the first place. Let's look up "supposed" in Wicked Words (full bibliography available upon request), shall we? "Supposed" is listed in this same book as a synonym for "so-called". Quote available upon request.

While you weren't referring to my person, you were referring to my opinion of the page as being funny as "dubious, spurious, illegitimate, fake". Please don't; it makes me uncomfortable.

A polite way to say what you said would be: "I didn't think it was very funny, but the art was good."

I suppose it could be taken that way. If you were offended, I sincerely apologize. However, the remark was truly directed at the link's author. In your depiction of him from the PETA thread there is the implication that he thinks of himself as funny and (hopefully) does not take himself seriously. I just don't see the 'humor' there. You're certainly welcome to find him funny. My wife can't understand why I don't find The Three Stooges funny. :)

If in fact he is not actually trying to be funny in a subtle sort of way, then we have to fall back on him just ranting indignantly. If so, well, H.G. Wells said it best:

"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."

Guest Black Lotus

I suppose it could be taken that way. If you were offended' date=' I sincerely apologize. However, the remark was truly directed at the link's author. In your depiction of him from the PETA thread there is the implication that he thinks of himself as funny and (hopefully) does not take himself seriously. I just don't see the 'humor' there. You're certainly welcome to find him funny. My wife can't understand why I don't find The Three Stooges funny. :)[/quote']

I suspected that might be the case. However, he never personally claims his pages are funny, although his legion of Internet fans tend to lean in that direction. I'm one of those fans. I suspect he knows we think he is funny, however.

Thank you for clarifying your point of view concerning this thread. :)

Guest Black Lotus

the word "supposed" is now an insult? I didn't get the memo.

The memo is in the book -- physical reference book -- I quoted above. As I mentioned, you need only ask for a bibliographical reference. "Supposed" is basically a slang word, used to demonstrate your contempt for the noun you are coupling with "supposed." Many times, people decide to use it in a sarcastic manner, and then pretend that it was simply an innocent way to write a normal sentence.

Again, read the entry from Wicked Words quoted above.

Also, in common-usage terms, "I didn't get the memo" is sarcastic, as well, especially used the way it was in your sentence, I'm afraid. Please discontinue directing insulting posts in my direction; it makes me feel uncomfortable. I will oblige by doing the same. Thank you.

Guest Black Lotus

Garfield stopped being funny when they got rid of Lyman

How long ago WAS that? I can't remember. I may not have even been born then.

Expressing an opposing opinion about art or literature does not constitute an insult. It's why Ebert and Roeper never break into fistfights.

EBERT: "How could you like that movie? it was awful."

ROEPER: "That's it. I've had enough of your crap. You're going down, fat boy!"

(Fight scene ensues while Gwen Stefani's "Holla Back Girl" plays)

Although, now that I think about it... What really happened to Siskel?

Guest Black Lotus

Expressing an opposing opinion about art or literature does not constitute an insult. It's why Ebert and Roeper never break into fistfights.

EBERT: "How could you like that movie? it was awful."

ROEPER: "That's it. I've had enough of your crap. You're going down, fat boy!"

(Fight scene ensues while Gwen Stefani's "Holla Back Girl" plays)

It was directed at me, though, not the literature. Maddox never refers to his literature as funny. I do refer to his literature as funny, however, in the first post. Sarcasm was directed towards the fact that -I- found the site funny. That's telling me my opinion of the site is worthy of ridicule. I resent that, and find it insulting.

Upon further inspection, however, we determined that Jeff was actually referring to Maddox, and not me; it was impossible to determine that from the wording, though. According to the wording of the original post -- making use of the term "funniness" -- and considering I was the only one who referred to Maddox as funny, I could only assume Jeff was talking about my opinion, and ridiculing it.

By the way, I personally feel "Holla Back Girl" is purposely geared towards a certain age/ culture demographic, and is therefore repugnant.

By the way, I personally feel "Holla Back Girl" is purposely geared towards a certain age/ culture demographic, and is therefore repugnant.

Are you kidding?

Please tell me you're kidding.

Because everything - and I mean everything - that has ever been produced for competitive mass consumption has been targeted towards a certain age/ culture demographic.

Unless its the age/ culture demographic you find repugnant.

Guest Black Lotus

.......... PINK FLOYD RULES!!! :rockon:

Guest Black Lotus

Edit your post - I'll erase mine' date=' and the trolling will be discontinued. Keep in mind what I said though - I stand by it with firm and sincere conviction.[/quote']

All right. The premise of your post, though, is basically that:

A.) Formerly, I was "obnoxious" because, even though I made good ponts, I made them in an insulting manner.

B.) Although I've changed my posting style to remove the "if you insult people your opinion doesn't matter" factor -- that's what people were telling me -- you still dislike me, so you'll continue to insult me in much the same way as before to prove there's nothing I can do about you insulting me.

Just my opinion.

What about people that think Garfield is funny when its "stopped being funny sometime before you were born"? Shouldn't they be offended by that comment?

All right. The premise of your post, though, is basically that:

A.) Formerly, I was "obnoxious" because, even though I made good ponts, I made them in an insulting manner.

B.) Although I've changed my posting style to remove the "if you insult people your opinion doesn't matter" factor -- that's what people were telling me -- you still dislike me, so you'll continue to insult me in much the same way as before to prove there's nothing I can do about you insulting me.

Just my opinion.

Pretty much. I will do my utmost to ignore you, and I will apologize when I fail. It's the best I can offer right now.

Guest Black Lotus

Pretty much. I will do my utmost to ignore you' date=' and I will apologize when I fail. It's the best I can offer right now.[/quote']

Ditto.

Guest Black Lotus

What about people that think Garfield is funny when its "stopped being funny sometime before you were born"? Shouldn't they be offended by that comment?

They can if they like. However, I didn't make that comment as a direct response to something someone else said; I made it as a criticism of Garfield. Criticize an issue... insultingly criticize another poster's opinion... there's a difference. I respect your opinion about Garfield, but I don't respect Garfield -- and I don't have to. You don't have to respect my personal preferences, either.

They can if they like. However' date=' I didn't make that comment as a direct response to something someone else said; I made it as a criticism of Garfield. Criticize an issue... insultingly criticize another poster's opinion... there's a difference. I respect your opinion about Garfield, but I don't respect Garfield -- and I don't have to. You don't have to respect my personal preferences, either.[/quote']

My point was calling referring to the article "supposedly funny" was critisizing the article. "I was told it was funny. I didn't find it so" summed up in one word. Its one of those things that, IMO, is only insulting if you choose to take it that way for some reason. I, and other people that still enjoy Garfield, could have read into your comment that we have collectively bad taste but that isn't what you said.

Guest Black Lotus

My point was calling referring to the article "supposedly funny" was critisizing the article. "I was told it was funny. I didn't find it so" summed up in one word. Its one of those things that' date=' IMO, is only insulting if you choose to take it that way for some reason. I, and other people that still enjoy Garfield, could have read into your comment that we have collectively bad taste but that isn't what you said.[/quote']

I'm the one who claimed it was funny. Jeff T. then ridiculed the idea that it was funny -- as far as I knew. No one else BUT me ever clamied it was a funny article. Who else would he mean?

Besides, I didn't press the issue. Jeff clearly stated he meant to criticize the article, not me, and I told him I was sorry for the mistake and I understood. See? He criticizes the article -- and I'm fine with that. Just like I'm fine with criticizing Garfield. Nexus, why are you even bringing this up? We resolved the issue already.

Can we please get back to Garfield? I really want to. I wanted to share the article in the hope that it would make someone laugh.

Guest Black Lotus

I just don't know enough about President Garfield's term to say whether or no he sucks as a president;)

He's one of those "Who was that guy again?" presidents.

Like Millard Fillmore, who is possibly THE most unknown president of all, especially among certain demographics....