Apocalypse Hero

Guest C_Zeree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a strange take on post-apoc life, check out Niven and Pournelle's Mote In God's Eye. (SPOILERS... aw, hell, the book's been out for over 20 years!) The alien race was trapped in their single system for millions of years, and was resigned to a never-ending series of Cycles, in which civilization fell into savagery over... and over... and over... due to continuous population pressure, because the aliens have to breed or die - literally.

Nuclear

A Boy and His Dog, Harlan Ellison (Also a movie)

Virus (maybe Biological)

I am Legend, Richard Matheson (basis for the movie, Omega Man, also a movie starring Vincent Price that I _think_ was called I am Legend.)

Originally posted by allen

Nuclear

A Boy and His Dog, Harlan Ellison (Also a movie)

Virus (maybe Biological)

I am Legend, Richard Matheson (basis for the movie, Omega Man, also a movie starring Vincent Price that I _think_ was called I am Legend.)

I think the Vincent Price movie had the unfortunate title of "The Last Man on Earth."

Keith "A pocket lisp" Curtis

Apocalypse Hero

Two classic novels that have not been mentioned here are John Wyndham's Day of The Triffids,The Chrysalids & The Kraken Wakes (though in the last book humanity is decimated,but civilisation still survives).Oh,and by the way,Damnation Alley was originally a novel-most people consider the movie to be a bastardization of the original book.I also cannot believe that Harlan Ellison's A Boy and his Dog wasn't mentioned.

My suggestions

Books, War:

Wingman by Mack Maloney (book series); post-war where the US lost and was broken up into different areas. Details a new war for independence. Mind candy in a lot of respects, and it did get a little silly in the last 2-3 books.

The Guardians, not sure on the author (series); another post-war book with a group of soldiers wandering about, rebuilding America, or so I'm assuming. I have a couple of the books, but haven't read them as yet.

Just a couple of suggestions.

Guest C_Zeree

Updated

Things I'm not sure on:

Keith I could not find the book "World Enough, and Time," found some research projects and reports, but didn't think you were referring to them. :)

tengu does this book look right?

The Guardians by Ewell Greeson

Where to put Day of the Triffids or Kraken Wakes. I renamed the Insect section to a Creature section and placed them there. Kraken fits, but in Triffids people go blind from a passing commet. Another buuuuut, the triffids are hostile plants, so I don't know.

I am Legend - Its about vampires feeding on people so I placed it undead.

I've got to go to the library and pick up some books. :D

Nope, that's not the book...

Found one of the series that I'm talking about. It's The Guardians, by Richard Austin.

The back blurb reads like this:

From the nuclear devastation of World War III rose the Guardians. Guerilla freedom fighters in a United States fallen prey to invading forces. They are the last reminder of what America stood for -- and the last hope of what America can be once more.

Now granted, this series was published in the mid to late 80's, so you can guess as to how good it would be.

Guest C_Zeree
Originally posted by tengu

Now granted, this series was published in the mid to late 80's, so you can guess as to how good it would be.

Did I/we say it had to be a good resource? Besides personal tastes may vary. I'm just putting together a big list of stuff. I think I'l put a warning sign on the list, use at your own risk. ;)

Originally posted by C_Zeree

Did I/we say it had to be a good resource? Besides personal tastes may vary. I'm just putting together a big list of stuff. I think I'l put a warning sign on the list, use at your own risk. ;)

In light of this...

Post Nuclear Holocaust

The Horseclans Series, Robert Adams.

Definitely slap a warning label on that one. (Although I admit I've read something like 16 of them.) There's also a GURPS supplement.

Also

Six-String Samurai, movie

It's a parody made by someone who likely loved the genre (and Buddy Holly too).

Re: Updated

Originally posted by C_Zeree

Things I'm not sure on:

Keith I could not find the book "World Enough, and Time," found some research projects and reports, but didn't think you were referring to them. :)

Del Rey 1980, by James Kahn. Spot illustrations, cover and map by Jill Alden Littlewood

It takes place in a distant future post-apoc California. It has a definite fantasy feel to it, so I'd put it into whatever category something like "Thundarr" would go under, but a little darker. IDR what caused the apocalypse, but a quick scan seems to indicate a nuclear war and subsequent ice age. There is also some flooding involved, the map of California plainly shows "Port Fresno."

Keith "Hey, I've got beachfront property!" Curtis

Originally posted by Starwolf

Another great classic is the novel "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank. I am probably dating myself but this was required reading for H.S. students back in the 70s.

I read that in one day. I took a science fiction and film appreciation elective without realizing it was not college prep. The rest of the class took six weeks to finish it and over half flunked a simple plot question test. I made myself re-read it the day before the test so I would be ready, but I needn't have bothered. I could have gotten a passing grade wiithout ever having read it at all.

Keith "What a waste of a cool elective" Curtis

Guest C_Zeree

Minor update today.

These apocalyptic people like to have there settings in California. Why I ask? Ca is post apocalyptic enough if you live in the Mojave desert...

So I was thinking. If the end of the world is upon a world where super heroes exist, what would they do as the world was coming down around them? Villains and heroes might unite. Some heores might just say, "Screw it," survivial of the fittest, come to the dark side... Of course many would try to aid where they could. They would become even more visible, because they could protect and help much more than the government and its officials with its resources spread so thin.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Guest Dr.Unpossible

The movie "Things to Come" I think, personally at least is an excellent peek at a post apocalypse world. And the following rise of man. Its VERY preachy though, I mean really really preachy.

It was done prior to World War II. And if I'm not mistaken is taken from the works of George Orwell. I think the montage for the troops and tanks rolling off to war, where in the beginning there WWII tech. Then as the years roll by they advance to sort of 195o's Buck Rogers weapons, then as the war drags on, they get more ragged looking, then no vehicles, then no standard uniforms, then no army at all, then the movie starts in the future in a ruined village. To me at least, its one of the great movie sequences of all time.

http://www.stomptokyo.com/badmoviereport/things2come.html Is a bit of a harsh review of the film. But about mid way down the page is a pic of the troops marching off to war. In the montage sequence I was mentioning.

Guest Dr.Unpossible

Keith "the sequals pale" Curtis . Have you read Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553107046/qid=1052520645/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5098430-5680636?v=glance&s=books

I was hoping it would be a good read. A look at the life of the "Savages" in the setting of a Canticle for Leibowitz. I loved the first book. Especially the focus on the Catholic Church. It really added to the Dark Ages feel after the apocalypse.

Originally posted by Dr.Unpossible

Keith "the sequals pale" Curtis . Have you read Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553107046/qid=1052520645/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-5098430-5680636?v=glance&s=books

I was hoping it would be a good read. A look at the life of the "Savages" in the setting of a Canticle for Leibowitz. I loved the first book. Especially the focus on the Catholic Church. It really added to the Dark Ages feel after the apocalypse.

Yes, I waded through it. It might have been a good enough book in itself, but it had none of the strong themes of the original. I felt it was ultimately "just a story". Canticle made me think on nearly every page.

I had heard there was a third book, but I know nothing about it.

BTW, have you ever heard the radio drama adaptation? Really first class job, that. They even had a college chant group do all of the canticles and such.

Keith "Lucifer has fallen" Curtis