New HG book concept - opinions requested

Some of you may have noticed the ongoing discussion on this thread, Lack of Fully Developed Worlds. The core of the discussion has been how Hero Games can attract more new fans and generate more sales. In the course of exchanging ideas, our colleague Killer Shrike offered a suggestion that strikes me as potentially very useful for attracting gamers who are not familiar with HERO System, and who may be initially intimidated by the size and number of books that are (or at least appear to be) required to play HERO in a given genre.

I wanted to present KS's suggestion separately, to get some impression of fan support for the idea. (I received his permission to do this.) If it's strong perhaps DOJ will give the concept serious consideration - after all, that's how Sidekick came to be.

Take it away, Shrike:

Personally, and this isn't backed up by anything other than my own experience and opinion, the most constructive thing DOJ has done to widen the player base was to print Sidekick. I saw and/or was contacted by more interested potential players stemming from SK than from any other event or product. I think DOJ could have done more to capitalize on SK by developing a companion line of products geared towards the SK market.

Imagine for example these products:

Fantasy HERO Sidekick

Composited from parts of Fantasy HERO, the Grimoires, MMM, and Turakian Age this mid sized book is SK oriented, has some newbie friendly genre ideas and equipment charts from FH, enough setting info from TA, antagonists from MMM chosen to challenge starting characters, and spells from the Grimoires to get started playing, priced aggressively at around 15 to 20 bucks.

Champions Sidekick

Composited from parts of Champions, Champions Universe, USPD, and CKC this mid sized book is SK oriented, has some newbie friendly genre ideas from Champions (such as a pared down version of the archetypes section), a few antagonists from CKC chosen to challenge starting characters, and some signature powers from the USPD to get started playing, priced aggressively at around 15 to 20 bucks.

and so on.

Those are the kind of entry level products that will attract new players to the game, in my opinion, and it's something that is currently missing.

My own experience with Sidekick agrees with Shrike's. I've encountered a ton of people, in person and online, who were perenially intimidated by the core HERO rulebook, but were willing to sample SK and got hooked. :)

As a parallel to the Sidekick approach, I personally think these product suggestions have a great deal of potential. You could do a SK-oriented intro book for every genre, compiled from the numerous support materials. From there people intrigued by various elements of the intro can purchase additional books: GMs looking to expand their gaming options could pick up the full rulebook or one of the genre books; GMs or players intrigued by a setting may look into the full setting sourcebooks; anyone interested in more spells, powers, creatures, tech etc. can get one of those sourcebooks.

Creating these books probably wouldn't require much writing effort since they'd be drawn from existing sources, although editing and layout would of course be necessary. At the prices Killer Shrike suggests they might not be very profitable to publish in the short term; OTOH they have the same long-term potential as SK to draw in new buyers for the other HG lines, at least IMHO.

So, what do you folks think of this approach? I'm not necessarily asking if this is something you yourself would buy, but if in your judgement and experience this would or would not appeal to a significant number of gamers and draw them into buying more HERO products. Also, is there anything you would suggest changing to make such product more appealing and effective?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New HG book concept - opinions requested

I think this is well worth exploring....especially the Fastasy sidekick, as this is a area with lots of potential converts, yet fantasy has been a "problem area" for Hero...since, well...always. The champs book has a lot of promise though I don't think its as high a priority, because Champions, Hero and super hero role play are already more or less synonomus in most gamers minds.

This concept has been discussed before, and I think it's an idea with merit. While it's true these books would likely have limited profitability in themselves, I would see them including a note on where to get more.

FH Sidekick, for example, would include references to:

- Turakian Age for more setting info

- MMM and Bestiary for more opponents

- FHG I and II for more spells

- Fantasy Hero for more genre information

Maybe the other Sidekick books (eg. Champions Sidekick for role playing in the Supers genre).

The Sidekick series might very well generate sales of their component products (and similar products as they are released in the future, such as Knights, Nobles & Necromancers for Fantasy) to gamers who will stick to Sidekick and never buy the 5er rules. The component products provide a support network for the "basic game".

I think it is a very good idea. Sidekick has generated a lot of interest and know several people that would never consider HERO pick up sidekick.

One thing that HERO I feel "needs" is a setting. I would include a setting with these books complete with villains, NPCs, maps etc.

This is a truly awesome idea, I personally think Hero should do this. Small inexpensive Genre Entry books would look more enticing than the wonderfully large volumes they produce now. Or at least, less intimidating.

Maybe he have them work in conjucntion with Sidekick to minimize rules repeitition..

Want to play Fantasy? $20 gets you Sidekick (the rules) and Fantasy Sidekick (the genre). then... once we get them they're ours. bwahahaha! ahem, sorry.

I think the idea has a lot of merit. I would suggest a higher price-point just to bring the books in the realm of profitability. $25 for the whole deal doesn't seem unreasonable and is inline with (or less than) other books on the shelves.

Bill.

I think it's worth considering, but I also think there's a risk to it.

When Sidekick was first being discussed, some folks on the boards assumed it was going to be akin to Basic D&D vs. AD&D (back when there were two separate lines). The concern was that any resources Hero Games put into producing support for the "basic game" would be resources diverted from the "advanced game."

The approach being proposed in this thread would mitigate that particular concern to a great extent. While genre Sidekicks would take up slots in the publication schedule, they wouldn't take up as much creation time if they were mostly compilations of material from support books for the main genre line.

The risk comes in with the question of how many gamers might then choose to buy a genre Sidekick instead of the main support books for that genre. Yes, Hero Games would likely make sales of (for example) the Fantasy Sidekick to people who might otherwise not have purchased FH, FHG, MMM, and TA. But they would also likely lose at least some sales to people who might otherwise have purchased FH, FHG, MMM, and TA, but are content with just the Fantasy Sidekick if it's available.

And since the Genre Sidekicks (like the "main" Sidekick) would probably be priced aggressively (in KS's words) in order to be as appealing as possible to new players, that means Hero Games wouldn't be making a big profit on each sale. So it wouldn't take many lost sales of the support books to turn the situation to where Hero Games is actually coming out behind on the equation.

For example, just for the sake of discussion, let's say Hero Games makes an average of $4.00 profit on each sale of FH, FHG, MMM, or TA. (I have absolutely no idea how wildly inaccurate that is. ;)) Let's further speculate that they would make $1.00 profit on each sale of Fantasy Sidekick.

For every person who buys Fantasy Sidekick when they wouldn't otherwise have bought any of these books, Hero Games makes $1 (plus the possibility that they might buy the other books in the future). But for every person who deliberately chooses to buy Fantasy Sidekick instead of the other four books, Hero Games loses $15 (and there's little chance this person will buy the other books later, since they've already decided they wanted Fantasy Sidekick instead of the others).

Obviously these numbers are probably way off, and not everyone will look at these book offerings in this kind of "all or nothing" manner. The point I'm trying to make is just that Hero Games would need to be pretty darn sure that the Genre Sidekicks would result in a lot more new sales than they would eat into sales of other books. It takes a lot of sales of a single, less profitable book to make up for the loss of sales from multiple, more profitable books. It's not enough that Genre Sidekick would sell more... it would have to sell a lot more, and not eat away too much at the other books. :)

It's definitely an intriguing idea, and I'm not trying to shoot it down. I'm just saying that it wouldn't exactly be a risk-free proposition for Hero Games. :)

I don't think that Sidekicks eat into other sales. In most cases, I think that the players will buy Sidekicks because they are cheap and portable where otherwise they'd just borrow the GM's big expensive rulebook.

Actually, that raises a good point...

Maybe what we really need are genre-specific (and setting-specific) "Player's Guides." As Killer Shrike proposed, they would be made up of material culled from the "main" books. But rather than containing everything you might need to get started running a game in the genre, they focus on providing you what you need to get started playing a game in the genre.

For example, Fantasy HERO has a lot of good material in it for players, but a lot of it is aimed more at GMs. The Grimiores are for both players and GMs. MMM is basically all for GMs. A lot of what's in the Turakian Age would be great for players to access, but a lot of it (especially the GM's Vault, obviously) is more for GMs. So out of those five books, a FH player might only be inclined to buy the Grimiores (and those only if playing a mage). They might or might not buy FH itself or the Turakian Age.

So what if Hero Games published a book that included...

• Player-important material pulled from Fantasy HERO, related particularly to character creation and equipment, plus some info on magic and combat.
  • A selection of spells from the FH Grimoires.
  • A pared-down version of material from The Turakian Age, giving them the relatively-well-known info on the world, but withholding things their characters were less likely to know.

Everything in such a book would be highly relevant to someone playing in a Turakian Age FH game. It would give the players something to buy. :)

Because really, I suspect that's one of Hero Games' challenges... a lot of their books (while certainly not valueless from a player's perspective) are ultimately aimed more at GMs. Any books Hero Games could make that would sell well to the non-GMing players would probably help bolster the line and be good money-makers. :)

As usual, Derek raises some very pertinent issues. The main concern is whether Genre Sidekicks would draw away sales from other books, or encourage them.

Not having access to HG company figures, or industry demographics, I can only offer speculation based on my limited experience. However, I do remember that not too long after Sidekick was first released, Steve Long mentioned that one reason they had advanced the release date for 5ER was because sales of FREd experienced an unexpected spike, and stock had run out sooner than anticipated.

Of course it would be premature to draw a direct connection between SK and 5E sales spikes, or to say that even if it were true, a Genre Sidekick would have the same effect of promoting interest in the more "advanced" books. The datum is suggestive, though.

Maybe what we really need are genre-specific (and setting-specific) "Player's Guides." As Killer Shrike proposed, they would be made up of material culled from the "main" books. But rather than containing everything you might need to get started running a game in the genre, they focus on providing you what you need to get started playing a game in the genre.

For example, Fantasy HERO has a lot of good material in it for players, but a lot of it is aimed more at GMs. The Grimiores are for both players and GMs. MMM is basically all for GMs. A lot of what's in the Turakian Age would be great for players to access, but a lot of it (especially the GM's Vault, obviously) is more for GMs. So out of those five books, a FH player might only be inclined to buy the Grimiores (and those only if playing a mage). They might or might not buy FH itself or the Turakian Age.

• Player-important material pulled from Fantasy HERO, related particularly to character creation and equipment, plus some info on magic and combat.
  • A pared-down version of material from The Turakian Age, giving them the relatively-well-known info on the world, but withholding things their characters were less likely to know.

Everything in such a book would be highly relevant to someone playing in a Turakian Age FH game. It would give the players something to buy. :)

Because really, I suspect that's one of Hero Games' challenges... a lot of their books (while certainly not valueless from a player's perspective) are ultimately aimed more at GMs. Any books Hero Games could make that would sell well to the non-GMing players would probably help bolster the line and be good money-makers. :)

I was actually assuming that this kind of book would be of more interest to players than to GMs (probably a bit obtuse on my part). The point probably needed to be made explicitly, though, and I think this is the most profitable (in every sense of the word) way to look at the project, and probably the way to advertise it if it came to pass.

Thanks for clarifying that issue, Derek. :)

This was my general line of thought.

As to the pricing, I figure that since they would be composited of existing products (with existing art), the design cost is all in layout rather than writing and commissioning art. Thus there should still be a healthy margin of profit.

As usual, Derek raises some very pertinent issues. The main concern is whether Genre Sidekicks would draw away sales from other books, or encourage them.

Not having access to HG company figures, or industry demographics, I can only offer speculation based on my limited experience. However, I do remember that not too long after Sidekick was first released, Steve Long mentioned that one reason they had advanced the release date for 5ER was because sales of FREd experienced an unexpected spike, and stock had run out sooner than anticipated.

Of course it would be premature to draw a direct connection between SK and 5E sales spikes, or to say that even if it were true, a Genre Sidekick would have the same effect of promoting interest in the more "advanced" books. The datum is suggestive, though.

Agreed.

I think that introductory products will serve to hook interested players into the mainstream HERO books, boosting sales. Also, SK's aimed more towards players rather than GMs give players something to buy, whereas in most HERO groups the GM tends to buy the books (IME).

It's long been a truism in the industry that if, say, the average game group consists of 5 players plus one GM, if you make a book for GMs you get one sale per group, but if you make a book for players you get potentially six sales per group.

I'd buy 'em. I don't have the time to come up with loads of stuff myself nor the money to buy the steady stream of really meaty stuff coming out.

You can follow the model that WoTC uses and have FH sidekick possess attribute generation, list of skills, class templates and spells. Add in the sidekick chapter on combat and that's all a player should need. Monsters can be in a seperate book like they are in D&D. If a standard fantasy game is 75+75, no knockback, blah blah NCM then there's an all in one game for a player and the GM can buy whatever he wants to tweak the game. Unlike D&D and nearly every other game there's no secret to creating additional feats or increasing/decreasing power level as it's all done with points. Maybe include a downloadable PDF that has how all the pre-made powers are built so you don't scare off a player with forumulae. That's a condensed version of what my players have asked for when I've proposed FH in the past.

The main concern is whether Genre Sidekicks would draw away sales from other books' date=' or encourage them.[/quote']It would likely depend very heavily on what the content of the Genre Sidekicks (or Player's Guides, or whatever you want to call them) is, and on who is currently buying the "full" books.

If the "full" books are being purchased mostly by GMs, and if the Sidekick books would be purchased mostly by non-GMing players, then the Sidekicks would probably either have little effect on the sales of the full books (targeting a different audience as they are) or boost sales of the full books somewhat (as some players might like the Sidekick well enough to spring for at least some of the big boys).

If the "full" books are already being purchased by players in any significant quantity, then I think the Sidekicks might actually eat into more profitable sales. In other words, if it's a choice between a FH player buying FH Sidekick or buying nothing, you want them to buy FH Sidekick. But if it's a choice between a FH player buying FH Sidekick or buying Fantasy HERO, you want them to buy Fantasy HERO. :)

(Well, really, you want them to buy FH Sidekick first, and then also buy Fantasy HERO later, because they decide FH Sidekick is just so cool they must have more. But let's not get too greedy, here... ;) )

Of course it would be premature to draw a direct connection between SK and 5E sales spikes' date=' or to say that even if it were true, a Genre Sidekick would have the same effect of promoting interest in the more "advanced" books. The datum is suggestive, though.[/quote']I think it's a reasonable assumption that SK was largely responsible for the 5E sales spike. However, as you note LL, that doesn't necessarily mean the same effect would carry over to the Genre SKs. There are some definite differences between a Rules Sidekick and a Genre Sidekick.

When Sidekick is $10 and 5ER is $50, that's a lot bigger savings enticement than it would be when FH Sidekick is $20 and FH is $32. If you include FH and FHG and TA, it gets back into the same savings ballpark, but it only applies to people who would actually buy all those books.

Also, Rules Sidekick is a lead-in to a single book that will unquestionably have greater value, even to players (5ER). So for anyone who buys the Rules Sidekick and likes it, it's very likely they will eventually buy 5ER as well. A Genre Sidekick would be a lead-in to multiple books -- all of which collectively would also be of greater value to players than the Sidekick is-- but perhaps not of sufficiently greater value to make all the players want to buy all the books. (A player who never plays spellcasters might not want the Grimoire, for example. Or a player who's mostly into the beer-n-pretzels aspect of gaming might not bother with Turakian Age, etc.)

I think it's likely that "Genre Sidekicks" would be more successful as "non-GMing player's alternatives to the genre's core books," rather than in the "stepping-stone" role that the current Sidekick fills.

But there's nothing wrong with that. Frankly, I think most non-GMing players don't currently buy any of the core genre books, or (at most) only buy the genre book itself. If a "Reader's Digest Condensed Version" of a genre's core books could be marketed to players who don't currently buy those books, I say go for it! :)

My own experience with Sidekick agrees with Shrike's. I've encountered a ton of people' date=' in person and online, who were perenially intimidated by the core HERO rulebook, but were willing to sample SK and got hooked. [/quote']

I think you need to empathize that NEW Gamers who are intimidated. I for one appreciate have all the rule in one place.

As for Sidekick Genre books, I do not know?

Good Luck

QM

I think it's a reasonable assumption that SK was largely responsible for the 5E sales spike. However, as you note LL, that doesn't necessarily mean the same effect would carry over to the Genre SKs. There are some definite differences between a Rules Sidekick and a Genre Sidekick.

When Sidekick is $10 and 5ER is $50, that's a lot bigger savings enticement than it would be when FH Sidekick is $20 and FH is $32. If you include FH and FHG and TA, it gets back into the same savings ballpark, but it only applies to people who would actually buy all those books.

Also, Rules Sidekick is a lead-in to a single book that will unquestionably have greater value, even to players (5ER). So for anyone who buys the Rules Sidekick and likes it, it's very likely they will eventually buy 5ER as well. A Genre Sidekick would be a lead-in to multiple books -- all of which collectively would also be of greater value to players than the Sidekick is-- but perhaps not of sufficiently greater value to make all the players want to buy all the books. (A player who never plays spellcasters might not want the Grimoire, for example. Or a player who's mostly into the beer-n-pretzels aspect of gaming might not bother with Turakian Age, etc.)

I think it's likely that "Genre Sidekicks" would be more successful as "non-GMing player's alternatives to the genre's core books," rather than in the "stepping-stone" role that the current Sidekick fills.

But there's nothing wrong with that. Frankly, I think most non-GMing players don't currently buy any of the core genre books, or (at most) only buy the genre book itself. If a "Reader's Digest Condensed Version" of a genre's core books could be marketed to players who don't currently buy those books, I say go for it! :)

SK is a pared down version of 1 book -- the main rulebook. That means there is only one migration path there -- if SK entices a purchase of the full rulebook that is a successful migration pattern. However, the resolution of a particular person migrating is a simple yes/no. They either upsize to one book or they don't.

The genre specific SK's would be combinations of content from SEVERAL books. In the Fantasy scenario, if relevant portions from Turakian Age, the Grimoires, MMM, and more functional portions of the Fantasy HERO Phonebook (like equipment lists) are included, then the migration path from SK is not on/off. There are numerous opportunities to realize an upsize to a full product from each genre SK. Some players might get hooked on the Magic stuff and go buy the Grim's, another might like the monster stuff and be enticed to buy MMM, another might get into the setting and get TA for the full scoop and info on the rest of the world, and a few might decide to pick up FH. Some might get several.

The opportunities for additional sales are much greater in that scenario.

In the Fantasy scenario' date=' if relevant portions from Turakian Age, the Grimoires, MMM, and more functional portions of the Fantasy HERO Phonebook (like equipment lists) are included, then the migration path from SK is not on/off.[/quote']I just want to clarify what you mean here. Are you just saying that someone might (for example) be inspired to buy the Grimiores (but not other core FH books) after buying FH Sidekick? Or are you saying that FH Sidekick should be a growth path into the fantasy genre for players who only have the "Rules Sidekick" book (not the full core rules)?

In other words, are you suggesting that the genre Sidekicks should use only Sidekick-compatible rules/constructs? If so, that would expand the time needed to make them, since material would have to be translated from the core genre books, not just culled from them.

I just want to clarify what you mean here. Are you just saying that someone might (for example) be inspired to buy the Grimiores (but not other core FH books) after buying FH Sidekick? Or are you saying that FH Sidekick should be a growth path into the fantasy genre for players who only have the "Rules Sidekick" book (not the full core rules)?

In other words, are you suggesting that the genre Sidekicks should use only Sidekick-compatible rules/constructs? If so, that would expand the time needed to make them, since material would have to be translated from the core genre books, not just culled from them.

I think if spells were pulled from a Grimoire it would be best, in the front section, to list the spell, point cost, END cost and effect. Then have an appendix which actually broke down the spell into its rules components. If a spell required a component not in Sidekick then asterik and refer to 5ER.

I think if spells were pulled from a Grimoire it would be best' date=' in the front section, to list the spell, point cost, END cost and effect. Then have an appendix which actually broke down the spell into its rules components. If a spell required a component not in Sidekick then asterik and refer to 5ER.[/quote']

Yes, exactly. And it wouldn't be that hard to find useful spells from the Grimoire that only use the Sidekick rules, and include only them...

Bill.

I just want to clarify what you mean here. Are you just saying that someone might (for example) be inspired to buy the Grimiores (but not other core FH books) after buying FH Sidekick? Or are you saying that FH Sidekick should be a growth path into the fantasy genre for players who only have the "Rules Sidekick" book (not the full core rules)?

All of column A, part of column B.

There is no reason that the product couldnt be both a growth path from the Rules SK, and for players that are playing in a game where the GM is using the full rules, but the player themselves doesnt own the books.

Yes; the goal would be for the products to be compatible with both the full rules and SK, which would mean not including abilities that are not in SK if possible.

I'm not suggesting that rules be translated however; non SK compatible elements can be excised, or if need be flagged with the "the rules for this are in the main rule book" if necessary such as some things currently are in SK. Shouldnt be that big of a deal. SK is a (large) subset of the rules, not a seperate set of rules.

An excellent idea.

In most groups I've played with, I was the only one with all (or most) of the rules books. In my last group, only the other Ref had anything other than the cole book, and several players still had the 4ed core rules (no matter how much I cajoled...).

And I've certainly seen people run away screaming after looking at the size of 5eR! Hero seems to have a reputation as a rules-lawyer game, based primarily on the size of the books, and the focus on stat-ing out every flashlight and video camera. For many people, it just looks too much like work. This could go a long way toward addressing that.

bigdamnhero

"Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?"

And I've certainly seen people run away screaming after looking at the size of 5eR! Hero seems to have a reputation as a rules-lawyer game' date=' based primarily on the size of the books, and the focus on stat-ing out every [b']flashlight[/b] and video camera. For many people, it just looks too much like work. This could go a long way toward addressing that.

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHERO/HEROEquipmentDebunk.htm#THE%20FLASHLIGHT%20COMPLAINT