What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Nowadays, it seems custom for popular bands (modern ones, I'm not talking about bands that remain popular due to success in the past resulting in cult followings and stuff like that) to follow a certain formula for making a CD.

1. Think of one above-average song.

2. Think of a great song.

3. Think of a good song.

4. Have all of the songs start with either bass or drums. If it starts with drums, add in bass next. If it starts with bass, add in drums next.

5. Have a lead singer that sounds like a teenager who's voice suddenly ceased to mature. Make sure he's good looking.

6. Add in a bunch of filler tracks with little or no effort put into them in hopes that record companies will only pay attention to the previous three items and allow for the securing of a record deal.

From the tribute album "Butchering the Beatles". Several hard rock artists contributed to the album: in this case it's Alice Cooper.

The original was one of the B-tracks that were used in the Yellow Submarine soundtrack after missing the cut on one of the Beatles' other albums. It's still a pretty good song despite that, and Cooper is clearly having fun with it.

"The Cask of Amontillado" by the Alan Parsons Project, from the remastered version of the 1987 remaster* of Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJVREj11lcA

JoeG

*The first version of the album was released in 1976 (as the first Project), and there was a hope that Orson Welles would provide readings that could be incorporated into the songs. Alan Parsons sent a request to Welles' agent, but didn't hear back until a tape arrived in the post--of Welles reading several selections and also providing voice over for an advertisement. Unfortunately, it arrived too late to make it onto the album. When Parsons and Woolfson were looking at transferring the album to CD, they decided to modify the album a bit. They added in the Welles voice overs, and tweaked the mix a bit (including some keyboard overlays using 80s equipment). This was the primary version available on CD for about 20 years (there was an expensive Mobile Fidelity disc that was really hard to find). About 5 years ago, the entire Alan Parsons Project library got a needed makeover (Arista had bungled the mastering on many of the other CDs by transferring a digital copy first to analog, and then back to digital before making the CD masters), and Mercury/UMG joined in with a two-disc set of Tales, with the first disc being a cleaned up version of the 1976 release, and the 1987 disc cleaned up a little bit as the second disc. Both discs had extra material, including the raw Orson Welles recordings, and the original radio commercial.

"Going Home" by Will Martin, from the album, A New World. Back in 2007, my employer sent me to Wellington, NZ for 2 weeks of training. The nice folks at Quantas mislabeled my checked luggage's weight on the return trip, so that I didn't have to pay overcharges (they listed it at just under the cutoff weight). This was one of the CDs that I had picked up, along with a large amount of books.

JoeG