What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

"The Bells" by Eric Woolfson. It's on a followup album to the classic Alan Parsons Project album' date=' [i']Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe[/i], entitled, POE: More Tales of Mystery and Imagination.

DAmn, I didn't know they did a sequel to that.

JG

DAmn, I didn't know they did a sequel to that.

JG

Well, Woolfson did a sequel. Parsons did a couple of remixes of the old stuff on A Valid Path, including a song entitled, "A Recurring Dream Within a Dream", which remixes "The Raven" with samples of the Orson Welles dialogue originally recorded for the CD release of Tales. Think classic APP blended through a Techno filter.

Try:

http://www.theavenueonline.info/

Enter the site, and then browse for the Lyrics & Music link. Under the "A"s, you'll find an mp3 sample of the song.

The Woolfson album has obvious ties to both the APP stuff and his later musical theater offerings (which were "Gaudi" and "Gambler", both with extensive inclusions of classic APP albums). Freudiana is a more even album, with a better tendency to stick to the theme, POE does have its moments. I'm still having difficulty linking "Train to Freedom" to the general Poe theme. It's a good track but the connection seems tenuous at best:

Shortly before his death, Poewas found badly beaten and left for dead outside a tavern which had served as a polling station in a local election. TRAIN TO FREEDOM was inspired by the atmosphere of the political campaigning that might have prevailed in that bar.

JoeG

And currently listening to "The Bells of St James" by Kansas, from the underrated album, In the Spirit of Things.

"Main Title\The Ice Planet Hoth" from the Empire Strikes Back SE soundtrack.

Sort of a way of cleansing, after seeing the last part of Ep III on the satellite during lunch at work. I realized that the only part of the entire movie to resonate with me were the final sequences, where specific themes foreshadowed the good films (eg "Princess Leia's theme", Luke's leitmotif, and a bit of "Binary Sunset").

JoeG