What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

LibriVox version of Jacob J Astor's A Voyage in Other Worlds. And, oh god, it's painful. Most of the first book is an interminable description of the amazing Utopia of the distant year 2000. Utopia as long as you're white and speak English that is, and have no objections to the axial tilt of the planet being 'improved' so we don't have seasons any more. It even uses the phrase 'inferior races' at one point. And when they finally get off planet we're treated to some of the most hopelessly naive descriptions of other worlds that it's ever been my experience to encounter. The pleasantly earth-like conditions on Jupiter, on which they check atmospheric conditions by cracking open a window. Or the volcanoes on Deimos. And the most idiotic theory for why comet tails point away from the Sun since I first heard about the Electric Universe idea currently popular with crackpots.

Argh. Few books have ever made me scream aloud in agonised frustration, but this is certainly one of them

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

LibriVox version of Jacob J Astor's A Voyage in Other Worlds. And, oh god, it's painful. Most of the first book is an interminable description of the amazing Utopia of the distant year 2000. Utopia as long as you're white and speak English that is, and have no objections to the axial tilt of the planet being 'improved' so we don't have seasons any more. It even uses the phrase 'inferior races' at one point. And when they finally get off planet we're treated to some of the most hopelessly naive descriptions of other worlds that it's ever been my experience to encounter. The pleasantly earth-like conditions on Jupiter, on which they check atmospheric conditions by cracking open a window. Or the volcanoes on Deimos. And the most idiotic theory for why comet tails point away from the Sun since I first heard about the Electric Universe idea currently popular with crackpots.

Argh. Few books have ever made me scream aloud in agonised frustration, but this is certainly one of them

If it's so bad, why are you listening to it?