What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

"Evening" and "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues, from Days of Future Passed.

This album's an experiment for me. I'm already quite familiar with my CD copies (original release and a remastered release), and I wanted to test out HDtracks.com to see if I could really tell the difference between a good CD and their higher quality audio. This album's recorded at 96kHz/24-bit, stored in really big FLAC files*, and like most of the downloads on the site also include a PDF of the liner notes.

The quick answer is yes, I can hear a definite difference. There's quite a bit more separation of the various orchestral instruments, and some of the quieter instruments are now clearly defined. Unlike most remasters, the difference is most noticeable through my speakers, not my headphones (though the sound is pretty awesome there, too). Switching back to my CD rips (44.1 kHz/16-bit), they sound just a bit muddy in comparison.

I doubt that I'd pay the money to buy lots of stuff this way, but for stuff that I repeatedly listen to at home, it's definitely going to be an option.

JoeG

*"Nights in White Satin" is about 150 MB in 96 kHz/24-bit FLAC, and about a quarter that in 44.1 kHz/16-bit FLAC.

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

"Evening" and "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues' date=' from [i']Days of Future Passed[/i].

This album's an experiment for me. I'm already quite familiar with my CD copies (original release and a remastered release), and I wanted to test out HDtracks.com to see if I could really tell the difference between a good CD and their higher quality audio. This album's recorded at 96kHz/24-bit, stored in really big FLAC files*, and like most of the downloads on the site also include a PDF of the liner notes.

The quick answer is yes, I can hear a definite difference. There's quite a bit more separation of the various orchestral instruments, and some of the quieter instruments are now clearly defined. Unlike most remasters, the difference is most noticeable through my speakers, not my headphones (though the sound is pretty awesome there, too). Switching back to my CD rips (44.1 kHz/16-bit), they sound just a bit muddy in comparison.

I doubt that I'd pay the money to buy lots of stuff this way, but for stuff that I repeatedly listen to at home, it's definitely going to be an option.

JoeG

*"Nights in White Satin" is about 150 MB in 96 kHz/24-bit FLAC, and about a quarter that in 44.1 kHz/16-bit FLAC.

You know what the biggest problem with music today is?

Sound quality.

That’s Neil Young’s take on the issue, anyway. For years, the musician has been obsessed with improving the way modern music sounds, sonically speaking.

“It’s not that digital is bad or inferior, it’s that the way it’s being used isn’t doing justice to the art,” Young said. “The MP3 only has 5 percent of the data present in the original recording. … The convenience of the digital age has forced people to choose between quality and convenience, but they shouldn’t have to make that choice.”

“Steve Jobs as a pioneer of digital music, and his legacy is tremendous,” Young said. “But when he went home, he listened to vinyl. And you’ve got to believe that if he’d lived long enough, he would have done what I’m trying to do.

”Finally, Young discussed piracy, which he doesn’t view as the threat that some other musicians do.

“Piracy is the new radio,” said Young. “That’s how music gets around.”

Article