What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Someone on the Youtube comments asked why David Bowie is wearing headphones. Apparently most pop/rock/country/hip-hop performers doing live shows use something like that so they can hear themselves and tell if something's off. It gets pretty loud onstage during a rock concert! So loud that many performers risk or, in the case of the Who's Pete Townshend, even lose their hearing. Similar devices are used in the studio so that the musician can react to and link up with the tracks that have already been recorded.

Someone on the Youtube comments asked why David Bowie is wearing headphones. Apparently most pop/rock/country/hip-hop performers doing live shows use something like that so they can hear themselves and tell if something's off. It gets pretty loud onstage during a rock concert! So loud that many performers risk or, in the case of the Who's Pete Townshend, even lose their hearing. Similar devices are used in the studio so that the musician can react to and link up with the tracks that have already been recorded.

Amazing devices, headphones. What will they think of next!

Currently listening to "21st Century Schizoid Man" by King Crimson, from the 2 channel mix on the DVD-Audio of In the Court of the Crimson King. This is yet another one of my experiments*, this time with a little computer program that seems to be converting from the MLP** encoding to high quality FLAC with no issues. Seems to have done fine with the 5.1 MLP mix to FLAC as well.

JoeG

*Experiment 1: It's possible to rip a DTS-encoded CD directly to FLAC. Playing it back without the DTS decoder results in static. With the decoder, it gives 5.1 audio. Apparently, this is one method that DVD and Blu-Ray players and some game systems send multichannel information through the Toslink (fiber optic) line, which only supports 2 channel audio at up to 48kHz.

**MLP = Meridian Lossless Packing, a proprietary lossless codec used in DVD-A and really difficult to find a decoder for. My last one required both the Sound Blaster card the software came with, and Windows XP.

The Tchaikovsky Symphony #6, the "Pathetique" (which actually means "Passionate"). It was his last major work before his death from cholera. Most music scholars now seem to believe that he deliberately infected himself with cholera on the orders of an "honor court" of his peers when his sexual conduct crossed the line. They already knew and semi-accepted that he was gay, so it must have been an astonishingly serious offense for them to consider such an order -- and for him to accept it as an alternative to public disgrace.

Winding Me Up - The Alan Parsons Project

Sadly, I had to work when Alan Parsons played Vegas last Saturday. I sat in my office listening to the albums, "Tales of Mystery and Imagination (1987 version)", "Stereotomy", and "A Valid Path" from my iPod.

Currently playing: "Voice of America" by Asia.

JoeG