What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

"Lorelei" by Styx' date=' from the album, [i']Regeneration[/i]. It's interesting to hear James Young as the lead on this one, and his vocals generally works fine. The previous track, "Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)", basically a Tommy Shaw song anyway, didn't change much. The first track, "The Grand Illusion", sounds a bit more choppy with the newer lead singer. His phrasing tends to put emphasis in spots that aren't quite as smooth as Dennis DeYoung, and he's not holding his notes as long. It sounded a bit more mechanical than the original.

Not bad, so far.

JoeG

I enjoyed the album (though I'd like more new material, dammit) and think that Gowan is an able replacement for Dennis - he's really good live and I dig his different inflections for Come Sail Away and others - additionally, he took Dennis's songwriting niche too, IMO his two songs on Cyclorama struck me as very close to songs Dennis would write.

I enjoyed the album (though I'd like more new material' date=' dammit) and think that Gowan is an able replacement for Dennis - he's really good live and I dig his different inflections for Come Sail Away and others - additionally, he took Dennis's songwriting niche too, IMO his two songs on Cyclorama struck me as very close to songs Dennis would write.[/quote']

I never remember his name. Saw a double bill of Styx and Boston a few years ago, and yes, Gowan's good in concert and I, too, don't have an issue when he performs on songs like "Come Sail Away". I really don't have an issue with a lineup without DeYoung; they still put on a great show. We're kind of lucky here in Vegas, as Chuck Panozzo usually shows up for a few songs, as well.

Currently listening to "An Island in the Darkness" by Strictly Inc (Tony Banks from Genesis).

JoeG

"Cold and Clear" by Proto-Kaw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wHkq2uxYBw

If the style sounds familiar, it's because of the identity of the group. The band we all came to know and love as Kansas was actually the third incarnation of the group. Proto-Kaw is a 21st-century reunion of the second. Kerry Livgren was/is the primary songwriter for both.

The pictured album, Forth (2011), is highly recommended. :thumbup:

Right now I'm listening to the German Requiem of Johannes Brahms. Not because I'm depressed or morbid -- quite the opposite in fact. It's beautiful music and a little aesthetic satisfaction is something I need right now as I wait for my opponent in one of my baseball leagues to IM me so we can play.

The league is depressing me, though. I'm in a five-game losing streak -- in a 40-game season. Before the streak started I was 9-2. Now I'm 10-7 and have a four-game series ahead of me with my closest rival in the division. If I don't pick up the tempo this will be a very short season indeed as he'll run away with the division. This is the only time we meet during the season as well....

Adventures In Modern Recording

"Time" by the Alan Parsons Project 192kHz/24 bit, downsampled to 96kHz/24 bit*. From an "HDAD" disc of Turn of a Friendly Card.

I've recently been experimenting with a bunch of audio formats, and this is one of those experiments. Apparently, for a brief window of time, Arista Records released some of their albums as "HDAD" discs. These are two-sided DVDs, with a DVD-Audio version of the album on one side, and a DVD-Video compatible version on the other. There were three Alan Parsons Project discs released in this format (I Robot, Turn of a Friendly Card, Eye in the Sky), and Turn of a Friendly Card was the only one that had a semi-reasonable price through Amazon (ebay has all three, but they're running at least $80--to expensive for me). Sound quality's great, instruments really pop, there's a good bass response, I'll be happy for what I paid.

That said, the Amazon Marketplace shipper really scared me when an LP-sized box arrived on my doorstep. Opening it up, there was a largish catalog of stuff that's available from the company. I'm guessing that LPs are their primary product, as 70 pages of the glossy, magazine-like catalog was dedicated to new vinyl pressings. Next was a smaller section of gold CDs** and SACD*** product, and finally, a section on electronics and accessories. It was here, that I realized the target audience.

There's a $300 "Digital to Analog converter" (yup, it's a soundcard), a whole slew of turntables (hold out for the $27,700 one that looks like a weird steampunk creation in brass), magnetic pickups (Blue Onyx Platinum for $20,000 with optional Diamond cantilever for $4000 for "those who must have the best"), and a variety of tube amps (some with more tubes than our family's first color TV). There's an $80 record cleaner, which looks like a Ronco product from the late '70s, and my favorite, a $300 device to "demagnetize" your CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. Seems that the ink on the aluminum platters may pick up magnetic charge as they are moved in and out of cases and spun at high speeds****. Don't worry, though, this is the "improved" version, with "a second demagnetization cycle at a different frequency" that's most effective at returning the sound quality to disc, even older discs that are most affected by this phenomena. http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/65896/HiFi-Tuning-CD__DVD__Blu-ray_Demagnetizer-CD_Care

JoeG

*Soundcard's the limiting factor here.

**I've got one, and that was 1/2 off when I bought it (about $11, final cost). It sounds better than the original pressing because a) the original's mastered 20 years ago, and b)this one's recorded as HDCD (20-bit with proper decoding)

***I'm too cheap to invest in the needed hardware for SACD. Most players are $500, plus, I'd need to upgrade the sound system.

****Utter bulls**t. The magnetic field would need to be pretty powerful to screw up the optical playback. It treats people who have more money than sense.

Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto in E Minor.

I've also been listening over the last couple of days to a pair of Shoutcast stations (accessed through Winamp) that play a continuous stream of episodes of The Goon Show, the seminal British radio series that inspired a generation of comedians, humorists, and other artists from Monty Python to the Beatles. The weirdness level of that show is cranked up to 17 on a scale of 1-to-10. The things they did with sound effects in particular are amazing -- and highly bizarre. One of the saner exchanges:

Valet: The General wants to see you in the hallway.

Neddy Seagoon: Is he in the hallway then?

Valet: No, he's here. That's why he wants to see you in the hallway.