What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Re: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Realization from Patrick Moraz's self-titled album, which came out back in the mid-1970s. That was the last item that I had access to on vinyl but not digital format remaining on my buy-on-sight-money-no-object list when I blundered across it in a store a few years ago. My guess is that the old studio tapes weren't in good shape when they did the digital remaster (or else they tried some manipulation tricks that didn't work out well); otherwise this is as good a triumphal fanfare as anything in popular music, bar none.

A movie that I like a lot, because it's both a zombie movie and, in my opinion, a feel good movie exploring what it actually means to be a person. Aaaaah!! Zombies.

In fact, were I to find myself in that universe by some cosmic fluke, I'd gladly become one of the zombies. Watch the movie and I bet you'll understand why.

Town Without Pity by Ronnie Montrose from Open Fire

In memoriam Ronnie Montrose (November 29, 1947 – March 3, 2012)

Damn, I had no idea he died. Guess that's what happens when real life gets in the way of my web surfing. Time to dig out The Speed Of Sound and give it a listen.

Truly one of the most underappreciated musicians of his generation. I've always thought it was sad he and Sammy Hagar couldn't get along for so many years. Those 2, along with Bill Church and Denny Carmassi had some amazing chemistry and spectacular songs.

"Under a Glass Moon" by Dream Theater.

JoeG

As much as I respect them as musicians, Dream Theater's original stuff is pretty hit and miss for me. But when it's good, like that album, it's unfreakingbelievable. Plus I have to respect any band who can cover some of the best and most complex rock music around and make it sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGvpX4qBkBo

Ian Anderson, Bruce Dickinson, and Justin Hayward playing Locomotive Breath at Canterbury Cathedral last year.