What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I finally have a "lullaby" computer for my bedroom again, a gift from the IT director at my clinic (who just happened to have a Pentium 4 that was never going to be used again). It connects to Youtube just fine.

I managed to find one of Leonard Bernstein's "Young People's Concerts" from 1960. It was devoted to the music, personality and paradoxes of Gustav Mahler, whose 100th birthday the New York Philharmonic was heavily celebrating. Bernstein saw Mahler as a portrait of many dualities -- composer vs. conductor, man vs. child, West vs. East -- an operatic composer who never wrote an opera, and a master of chamber music who never wrote a chamber work. The program featured many excerpts from Mahler symphonies, most with guest vocalists.

Fiend and Shock the monkey by Coal Chamber

Coal Chamber -Shock the Monkey

Much of the menace of the original song (and video) seems muted to me; it's almost "softer" as a heavy metal arrangement. I'm guessing that it's because the original song had a strong rhythmic component from the synthesizers that doesn't come through with the guitars.

Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo9riZYUpTw

"Stand Beside Me" by Kansas.

Kansas and this album (In the Spirit of Things) got caught in a major purge of older acts at MCA back in 1988. MCA decided to pull all promotion for it after only a few weeks, so that they could concentrate on "younger" acts (like Tiffany). "Stand Beside Me" still garnered a lot of airplay on MTV, and became the last Kansas single to chart in any format.

I'm listening to Stayin Alive because of this picture: -- Undead Samurai in the Saturday Night Fever pose by Jason Engle (IIRC did Star Hero 5E cover)

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk

I'm a woman's man no time to talk

Music loud and women warm

I've been kicked around, since I was [un]born

Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Feel the city breakin' and everybody shakin'

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive

Well now, I get low and I get high

And if I can't get either, I really try

Got the wings of Heaven on my shoes

I'm a dancin' man and I just can't lose

Life's goin' nowhere, somebody help me

Somebody help me, yeah

I don't get to watch the Portland Timbers much because I don't have TV service, so I'm listening online to their home match against the Vancouver (BC) Whitecaps. Just heard the breaking news that American international star Clint Dempsey has signed for $4 million a year with the arch-rival Seattle Sounders, raising the stakes of the most ferocious rivalry in all of Pacific Northwest sports even more. When the Sounders come to Jeld-Wen Field near the end of the season the eyes of the entire Major League Soccer fanbase will be on Portland -- will Dempsey be the piece that pushes Seattle over the top into a championship contender?