Guest Black Lotus

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Since hearing about Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor passing away yesterday, I've been listening to quite a bit of late 70s and early 80s Motörhead.

Motorhead Ace of Spades and Ironfist, Gimme Chocolate - Baby Metal, This Corrosion and Temple of Love (original Extended mix) - Sisters of Mercy, London Calling - The Clash, Grimly Fiendish - The Damned, The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead - Crash Test Dummies, Enter Sandman - Metallica, Black hole Sun - Soundgarden, Pray to God - Calvin Harris ft Haim, Wings - Birdy, No Good (Start the Dance) - The Prodigy, Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage, Rockin' In the Free World - Neil Young, Yellow Flicker Beat - Lorde (Kanye West mix), No Church in the Wild - Jay Z and Kanye West, Touch too Much - AC/DC, Riptide - Vance Joy, Nickelback - Rock Star, Poison - Alice Cooper, Everybody's Changing - Keane, The Devil in I - Slipknot, No-One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age, Love Will Call the Tune - Claude Francois, The Importance of Being Idle - Oasis, Knights of Cydonia at Wembley - Muse, With or Without You - U2, Into the Valley - The Skid, Brianstorm - Arctic Monkeys, Links 2 3 4 - Rammstein, Pumped Up Kicks - Foster The People, Epic - Faith No More, Magic - Ladyhawke, Louder DJ Fresh ft Sian Evans and I Predict A Riot - Kaiser Chiefs. 

Been preparing my playlists for the mix CDs I send out every holiday season.

Most people will be getting the "Stay Warm" playlist which is primarily fire-related songs, but I'm also doing a Captain Kirk mix for one person--lots of filk music.

This is a long video, so if you want to watch it expecty a major investment of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHWkmBd0Mko

The work has a fascinating backstory. While Beethoven was working on his epic Missa Solemnis (which he had taken commission money for from three different patrons and eventually sold to a fourth -- Beethoven's business practicies frequently "stretched ethical boundaries") he received an offer from a publisher who was collecting a set of variations on a waltz theme provided by an Italian composer named Antonio Diabelli from all the well-known composers of the day (Franz Schubert got the same request).

Now Diabelli was, to put it blunty, a hack. The theme is entirely unremarkable and had the publisher not made the offer to Beethoven he would have been forgotten. Yet Beethoven was intrigued with the prospect of some lighter work to do when he needed a creative break from his larger projects. So, although he was only asked for one variation for a composite collection (which, as far as I know, never really happened) Beethoven wrote thirty-three variations in numerous styles and tempos.

The Diabelli Variations would be Beethoven's last work for solo piano. Performing it would have been difficult for him, as his hearing had deteriorated to the point that he was almost completely deaf. But it was quite a way to go out. It showcases the versatility of the piano and the qualities that make is such an important instrument.