What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Last night I watched a full performance of Handel's Messiah from beginning to end. You may not know this, but the famous Alleluia Chorus is only the end of the second act of the Oratorio. The work goes on from there to an impressive conclusion drawn from Revelation ("Worthy is the Lamb who was slain!"). The text covers the prophesies of the Old Testament, highlights of Jesus ministry, the Crucifixion and Resurrection, and finally a celebration of Jesus' power.

It took Handel less than a month to write Messiah. Compare that to the two years it took Beethoven to write his Ninth Symphony, another mammothly possible choral work associated with the holidays,

Here's one I haven't heard in a long time: Digitalis by James Lee Stanley. I first heard James in concert back in 1980-something, and have seen him a few times since - he has a fairly small but loyal bunch of fans that shows up wherever he plays. (Unfortunately, he's pushing 60 and doesn't tour outside of SoCal much these days.) He sometimes does Digitalis live but AFAICT it's not on any of his 31 albums. Fortunately YouTube has provided!

The first 4 minutes is his comical "explanation" of how he tried to write a Carlos Santana-style song despite not not knowing any Spanish, and was saved by Divine Intervention in the form of a medical encyclopedia salesman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYok-GDC9k

You're welcome