What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I'm currently going through a bunch of CDs that I hadn't ripped into FLAC yet, and I've found a few oddities that were most likely picked up when I was working in electronics retail. One of these is a Spatializer demo disc, which touts a technology that simulates 3D stereo with two speakers. One short track mentions that it takes advantage of the advanced features of Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 95.

Apparently, a few Spatializer-processed albums were released by labels, including a few classical/pops albums on the Telarc label.

Currently listening to "Crazy Girl" by Rock Sugar.

in the middle of restructuring and reorganizing my music collection with a fresh Media Monkey install. 

Found some nice guitar bit that was a guy from a guitar shop demonstrating their new models. 

Listening to Shut up and Dance by Walk the Moon. 

I've been playing around a bit more with the latest version of Media Monkey, mainly for the DLNA/UPnP server functions. It's amazingly friendly with my new Onkyo surround sound system, and actually allows playlists on the receiver's network player. The only trick was marking the MAC of the receiver as an allowed client, otherwise, the library wouldn't show up. I've set up MM to have separate views for soundtracks, multichannel FLAC, 2 channel FLAC, classical, and so on; these also show up as options through the DLNA connection.

The old media box is primarily running JRiver Media Center for TV recording, and Asset for an audio-only DLNA server. Asset allows multiple profiles (with on-the-fly conversion), so I've got one that converts FLAC to WAV that's capped at 48kHz/24 bit in case I want to stream to the XBox One or other devices that can't handle FLAC or sampling rates above 48kHz.

Currently listening to "Water Out of Wine" by Tony Banks.

I haven't seen Rogue One yet, but I have little optimism for the film if the soundtrack album is any indication. I know the art of the movie score is in decline as its leading lights age, but still I have no idea where they found that guy. If there even was a guy -- I strongly suspect it was made by entering the notation for the Imperial March and a couple of other recognizable SW themes into a primitive musical AI and handing the orchestra whatever random notes it spat out. If it was somehow created by a human, then that human gives hackwork a bad name.

I haven't seen Rogue One yet, but I have little optimism for the film if the soundtrack album is any indication. I know the art of the movie score is in decline as its leading lights age, but still I have no idea where they found that guy. If there even was a guy -- I strongly suspect it was made by entering the notation for the Imperial March and a couple of other recognizable SW themes into a primitive musical AI and handing the orchestra whatever random notes it spat out. If it was somehow created by a human, then that human gives hackwork a bad name.

The composer was Michael Giacchino, who was given a month to score the film after the original composer, Alexander Desplat, dropped out. Giacchino is known for scoring The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Up for Pixar, and the new Star Trek movies for Paramount, as well as a host of other movies, TV shows, and video games. That said, I was less than happy with Jurassic World, which I found to be a mostly forgettable soundtrack punctuated by a few quotes of the original John Williams compositions for the first two movies.