What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I'm starting work on a YouTube music channel and an album. But the only instruments I will have at my disposal are my voice and whatever I can do with my PC. Which is why I've been listening to New Wave electro-pop recently -- to see what sort of sound I can reasonably expect when I'm doing something lyrical with the technology.

I've been listening to Pet Shop Boys, A-Ha and the film music of John Carpenter to get an idea of the possibilities.

When i get my MIDI controller, one of the first things I will do is see what sort of sounds I can produce with what is at my disposal.

I'm starting work on a YouTube music channel and an album. But the only instruments I will have at my disposal are my voice and whatever I can do with my PC. Which is why I've been listening to New Wave electro-pop recently -- to see what sort of sound I can reasonably expect when I'm doing something lyrical with the technology.

I've been listening to Pet Shop Boys, A-Ha and the film music of John Carpenter to get an idea of the possibilities.

When i get my MIDI controller, one of the first things I will do is see what sort of sounds I can produce with what is at my disposal.

Take a look at the Australian band Icehouse - very good synth-pop from that period, went a little harder with some of their later albums.

Take a look at the Australian band Icehouse - very good synth-pop from that period, went a little harder with some of their later albums.

Although it's partly orchestral (in the opening,(I can't tell where strings end and synth begins -- which goes to show you how good synths could sound at the time), I found this song very inspirational. It doesn't just describe Neil Tennant's life -- it describes mine to alarming degrees.

The video is also beautifully done. Tennant is gay, so you could expect him to appreciate the male form. And the particular person in the video (besides the band) is a gymnast who epitomizes the power and grace humans are capable of in an idealized form.