What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

I'll raise you one,

[

The plot of Chess, the one collaboration of Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus of ABBA with lyricist Tim Rice (who had worked on Jesus Christ Superstar and would go on to write the lyrics to The Lion King) is rooted so deeply in the dying embers of the Cold War that many modern viewers would find it almost incomprehensible, and those that do understand would find it obsolete or quaint. It ran for three years on the West End but a reworked version failed miserably on Broadway.

I'll raise you one,

[

The plot of Chess, the one collaboration of Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus of ABBA with lyricist Tim Rice (who had worked on Jesus Christ Superstar and would go on to write the lyrics to The Lion King) is rooted so deeply in the dying embers of the Cold War that many modern viewers would find it almost incomprehensible, and those that do understand would find it obsolete or quaint. It ran for three years on the West End but a reworked version failed miserably on Broadway.

Dennis DeYoung's cover of one of the Broadway version's songs:

The "Amerime" web series RWBY is so over-the-top at times that it's almost in orbit. This song from the Season 2 finale is evidence of that (the stills from the episode that accompany the video do not begin to display the sheer hyperkinetic madness of the actual scene).

(RWBY is actually pronounced "Ruby", and Ruby Rose is also the name of the protagonist. RWBY is the designation of the battle team she forms with her friends Weiss Schnee and Blake and her big sister Yang, And that's really about all I know really about any of them. None of those characters appear in this clip -- in fact, I have no idea who any of these people are or why the episode gives them two precious minutes of screen time in a twelve-minute season finale.)

Right now I'm listening to pianist Lang Lang performing Mozart, Rachmaninoff, and Chopin at the BBC Proms from 2008. It's far too long a video to post, or to break apart into smaller chunks that do him credit. But the joyous expression on his face as he plays is priceless, and his fingerwork is so amazing to watch that I can;t tell how he does it with human hands.

Usually when I watch a classical pianist it is when they are playing with an orchestra in a concerto or other orchestral work (like Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue or Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini) where there are some sixty other musicians. To use a more modern example. Elton John (who trained as a classical pianist before finding his calling in rock and roll) has a band behind him (sometimes even a full orchestra). Lots of distractions. In a recital like this one, though, it's just one man and one piano, commanding my undivided attention. And that's a very special experience.