What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

On 3/20/2018 at 5:55 AM, Pariah said:

In honor of the equinox:

I had clicked on this yesterday morning when I was still half-asleep, and my brain kept on trying to map it to Asia's Aqua album. It took me a few minutes to realize why.

Currently listening to the album, Eldorado by the Electric Light Orchestra.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:47 PM, Ternaugh said:

I had clicked on this yesterday morning when I was still half-asleep, and my brain kept on trying to map it to Asia's Aqua album. It took me a few minutes to realize why.

Currently listening to the album, Eldorado by the Electric Light Orchestra.

The styles are very similar.  I'm gonna guess that the guitarist and keyboardist are ex-members.

Currently listening to Casablanca on TCM. :)

On 3/25/2018 at 3:04 PM, Watchman Mk. IV said:

Massive Rush fan here; I have 15 albums of theirs, several concert T's, and memories of them playing 2112 live, twice. :)

They're the intersection of myth and rock.  I'm not particularly impressed with their direction since Roll the Bones, though.

I saw them twice in concert. First was during the Roll the Bones tour in 1992, and last was during R40 a couple of years ago. In between, I either kept on missing their shows due to a lack of funds, or a lack of time.

I generally fall into a completist mentality with bands that I like. Over the years, I've purchased each studio album at least once on CD, and once from HD Tracks. The three Sector boxes had DVDs with surround mixes of Fly by Night, A Farewell to Kings, and Signals, and I have the deluxe editions of 2112 (Blu-Ray with surround), and Moving Pictures (bought this one twice, first as DVD-Audio, then as Blu-Ray for the surround mixes), and Snakes & Arrows on the MVI format (DVD with surround mix and other multimedia), which was limited to 25,000 copies. I'm missing perhaps 4 of the live albums, and I have a smattering of their video releases.

The albums that end up being played the most by me are Roll the Bones, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, 2112, Signals, A Farewell to Kings, and Hold Your Fire.

Currently listening to Snakes & Arrows (5.1 mix)

On 3/21/2018 at 7:47 PM, Ternaugh said:

On 3/23/2018 at 12:33 AM, Watchman Mk. IV said:

The styles are very similar.  I'm gonna guess that the guitarist and keyboardist are ex-members.

The vocalist/bassist is the same as on Aqua (John Payne). The drummer and the two guitarists were members of Asia with Payne and Geoff Downes in the early 2000s, before Downes broke up the group to reunite with the original lineup. They (drummer and guitarists) stuck with Payne in his spin-off bands, Asia featuring John Payne and GPS. The keyboardist (Erik Norlander, from Rocket Scientists and Lana Lane) replaced Downes in AfJP.  Payne and Norlander decided to discontinue the use of the name 'Asia' after John Wetton's death last year, so now they're calling themselves 'Dukes of the Orient'.

Yeah, keeping track of Asia's lineups is a little complicated. Given that the band is a direct descendant of Yes and King Crimson, this is hardly surprising.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

The vocalist/bassist is the same as on Aqua (John Payne). The drummer and the two guitarists were members of Asia with Payne and Geoff Downes in the early 2000s, before Downes broke up the group to reunite with the original lineup. They (drummer and guitarists) stuck with Payne in his spin-off bands, Asia featuring John Payne and GPS. The keyboardist (Erik Norlander, from Rocket Scientists and Lana Lane) replaced Downes in AfJP.  Payne and Norlander decided to discontinue the use of the name 'Asia' after John Wetton's death last year, so now they're calling themselves 'Dukes of the Orient'.

Yeah, keeping track of Asia's lineups is a little complicated. Given that the band is a direct descendant of Yes and King Crimson, this is hardly surprising.

No wonder.  I didn't follow them very closely; I always thought of them as Yes lite, and I'd never have likened them to King Crimson.

A note on Exit Stage Left: there are a number of versions on it that I prefer to the original studio songs.  I don't know whether it was down to Rush's producers on the early albums or just a stylistic thing with Geddy, but some of them seemed a bit primitive.  By the time Rush had had some years to perform them on the road, they'd tightened them up a bit.  Closer to the Heart and The Trees/Xanadu come immediately to mind there.  (Of course, it helped that the entire audience was doing background vocals on Closer to the Heart.)  Also, YYZ had that ridiculously awesome Peart solo.  He is rock's first (and only) true percussionist.  Buddy Rich and John Bonham got nothing on him.  It's even more impressive when you consider all the physical issues he went through when on tour, which I didn't fully understand until the documentary that recently came out about their last tour.