What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

Today was the 100th anniversary of the birth of American composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein. So I sought out one of his lesser-known works. This a setting of a Jewish Sabbath evening prayer, written in 1945 at the request of the cantor of an influential synagogue in New York. (Later in his career Bernstein would write a "theater piece" built along the lines of the Catholic Mass that was one of his most controversial works).

After their contract was up with Arista Records, Alan Parsons and Eric Woolfson began work on a new concept album. Parsons wanted to continue the Alan Parsons Project, but Woolfson wanted to branch out into musical theater. The result was the concept album, Freudiana, which was released as a studio album and also became the core of a musical that played in Germany (with a very rare cast album). Afterwards, Parsons and Woolfson went their separate ways, with Parsons releasing several "solo" albums, and Woolfson writing several musicals before his untimely death. What follows here is one of my favorite tracks from the studio album.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:32 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I have come to really love French (or, in this case, Belgian) music. I already knew this song was beautiful, but now that I see it with English subtitles it becomes heartbreaking.

This song was translated into English as "If You Go Away." I remember listening to Jack Jones' rendition.

The song was one of my Dad's favorites. He used to sing it to me as a lullaby when I was a baby.

Fly From Here - Return Trip - Yes

This one's a re-working of their 2011 release, with Trevor Horn providing vocals (and thus replicating the band lineup from Drama), and several songs have been modified from the original release. Chris Squire's bass is also a little more prominent in the mix, which works very well. It's become one of my favorite Yes albums.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:07 PM, Ternaugh said:

Fly From Here - Return Trip - Yes

This one's a re-working of their 2011 release, with Trevor Horn providing vocals (and thus replicating the band lineup from Drama), and several songs have been modified from the original release. Chris Squire's bass is also a little more prominent in the mix, which works very well. It's become one of my favorite Yes albums.

Is he supplementing Benoit David's vocals, or replacing them?

Because I thought David did a fantastic job on FFH. (Not as impressive as his work in Mystery, but still.)

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

Is he supplementing Benoit David's vocals, or replacing them?

Because I thought David did a fantastic job on FFH. (Not as impressive as his work in Mystery, but still.)

Replacing them, though in a few spots, it's really hard to tell. The original core of the FFH Suite actually dates back to around the time of Drama, and was performed live on occasion by Yes. Part of it was included as bonus tracks on the 2010 remaster of Adventures in Modern Recording by the Buggles (see below), which is how I first heard the material. I'm fairly certain that Trevor Horn directed Benoit David to sound like him during the recording of the original album. Horn was still unsure about performing at the time that he produced that album, after the issues with his wife's accident. He had to be talked into FFH - Return Trip by the other band members, and only agreed after appearing with Yes on stage in London in 2016. The remixed album was released for the Yes 50th anniversary tour at a fan gathering back in March, and also sold online through Pledge Music.

I would agree with you that Benoit David's vocals were very well done on the original FFH Yes release, and I still listen to that album as well.  

• 2 weeks later...